Drop the deposit.

Matt42

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I was lucky enough to be successful this year, but I think ending the deposit system is the best way to make it easier on T Day for the loyal crowds.

The festival is at a point now where I feel they could comfortably do this. We are long gone from 2008 - the festival world is different now.

Make people cough up £260 in October with no lineup and I am sure things would be easier. I know too many people who drop £50 with no intention of going / conditional intent if Fleetwood Mac play!

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Yeah, but how many people have a grand and a half in their account / on credit?

I think it would skew the festival towards the wealthy

Just end the thread here guys.

30 minutes ago, Digi said:

Absolutely no interest in going by myself. Glastonbury is often the only time of the year I see some friends from one year to the next. 

We too have an absolute blast. The only difference being there is a group of 10 or so of us. We engage just fine. No one is more deserving because of how the choose to do their festival

Well that's great that you choose to have a rare reunion at the biggest/most popular festival in the country.

I'm in the 2-4 tickets max per transaction camp, 6 in this era is too high. As nice as it is to have all my friends around me, I'm perfectly happy to accept being with just 1-3 friends as it is very damn hard to get tickets in the first place.

The only way I can see getting rid of the deposit scheme working is to move ticket day to April to maximise the amount of time between festivals and still charge the whole lot in one go. I’d still rather keep the deposit scheme personally,  but if they were to just get rid of it as Matt suggested and keep ticket day on the first Sunday in October it would price me out completely - this time of year it’s just unfeasible for us to come up with £265 each and we rely on that “quiet” time from January to March to save our balance.  If we had had to pay the whole price of the tickets today we would have had to miss out - not because we don’t REALLY want to go but because we simply couldn’t afford to pay that amount at this time of year. 

The problem with the above is that it doesn’t provide the financial security that the festival needs to allow them put it on at the scale that they do - the reason that the festival is as big as it is now is because they can be almost certain that the majority of people will pay their balance and the remaining ticket allocation will sell out in the resale - if they don’t do this sale in October then they have a big financial risk over their operations.

As an aside, I also think it’s wrong to just blanket assume that everyone who doesn’t pay their deposit has made that decision because they didn’t like the lineup - there are so many reasons why people choose not to go (family problems, relationship breakdown, pregnancy, money issues, work issues, health issues etc) and I’m sure that the majority of people who end up having to put their ticket back in the pot are truly gutted about it. 

Edited by JoBalls
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Yeah, but how many people have a grand and a half in their account / on credit?

I think it would skew the festival towards the wealthy

Give it 2-3 years max and i bet everyone would be fully organised to have exactly that for ticket day and we would be back in the same situation as today. Even with less people in the mix the odds are still 1/20 at the moment of getting there.

The festival already skews to the wealthy and to many in the upper classes. Why would want to do shift it even more that? Even if they got rid of the deposit scheme, you've still got the problem more want to go than there are tickets available, and the only real way to really stop that demand is to price people out which thankfully the Eavi don't want to do as they have moral compass unlike you and your posh friends who want to get rid of the deposit scheme.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

But you’re paying the exact same money at the end anyway? £50 in October is not a cheaper method - you’re still spending the same amount of money at the end of the process?

I understand it is annoying that some people might struggle with October but something has to change if 2.4 million people are genuinely trying for tickets. Especially if many of those have a spare £50 to throw at the sale when they don’t know if they can definitely attend.

That's the situation for me, i.e. I have enough money in my account to pay for 6 people's tickets in full. But it's not the same for everyone. The difference at the moment is everyone is then separately responsible for paying their own balance after the relatively low-cost depost is paid but I can imagine it could be difficult for lots of people. And many people don't have credit cards either. So whilst it wouldn't impact on me, I do think that would be a further incremental step towards exclusively. 

1 hour ago, robillustrates said:

The solution is 4 or even 2 tickets per transaction, that really is the only way to spread out who goes and who misses out, even though the same numbers go and miss out. You'd get less giant camps and lots more social tiny camps befriending neighbours.

As it stands you probably know lots of people with tickets or barely anyone with tickets, the spread would be a little more even.

Why not 1 per transaction? 

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Fuck it, why not 0.5 per transaction. Only those who got through twice get to go.

0 tickets per transaction is the way forwards I reckon. That way we can ensure the sale takes a really long time, and people will have to talk to each other as they won't be able to talk to themselves.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

This is an appalling idea that will directly impact less affluent attendees. Keep the deposit.

No I think people desperate to go would somehow beg , borrow or steal 

45 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Well that's great that you choose to have a rare reunion at the biggest/most popular festival in the country.

I'm in the 2-4 tickets max per transaction camp, 6 in this era is too high. As nice as it is to have all my friends around me, I'm perfectly happy to accept being with just 1-3 friends as it is very damn hard to get tickets in the first place.

6 is too high for you, but not for a lot of people. You want it to be adjusted so it’s fairer for you and makes it easier for you, which is normally at the root of any suggestions people put forward.

40 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

The festival already skews to the wealthy and to many in the upper classes. Why would want to do shift it even more that? Even if they got rid of the deposit scheme, you've still got the problem more want to go than there are tickets available, and the only real way to really stop that demand is to price people out which thankfully the Eavi don't want to do as they have moral compass unlike you and your posh friends who want to get rid of the deposit scheme.

Well they should pull the likes of Worthy View and just allow people with tents and in the CV fields.  £1000 for a yurt ? 

51 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

thankfully the Eavi don't want to do as they have moral compass unlike you and your posh friends who want to get rid of the deposit scheme.

Wow I seem to have really upset you. I wonder what could make you come to such certain conclusions about me? 

14 minutes ago, ivan said:

Well they should pull the likes of Worthy View and just allow people with tents and in the CV fields.  £1000 for a yurt ? 

I'm in two minds on that, while it does encourage more richer people, it still has no effect on the base access to the site and makes more room for us anyone "slumming" it.

3 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

giphy.gif

I find it funny that you were the one with the aggressive tone yet you’re telling me to calm down? 

I spent most of my morning helping fellow efestivals get tickets (who I don’t even know personally) for fuck sake. Of course it doesn’t matter to people like you who enjoy insulting people on the internet and making rash assumptions.

Edited by Matt42

13 minutes ago, UEF said:

I like six as a number. You, a friend or significant other, and two other couples (or combination thereof) 

Yep, me too... I never got a sniff this morning but my son did so it breaks down as my son, his girlfriend, his mate (girlfriend and mate have never been before), me, one of my best friends and her husband. Our other main group had 3 in and never got a sniff... roll on April.

I've done one Glastonbury in 2017 without my son - felt like someone had cut my arm off (bit dramatic I know!). Not sure I would be overjoyed to go without my friend either who I've been to every one with since 2010. We already all feel a bit shit some missed out but I don't think the current system is excessive. 

I guess if it was changed we would just build a bridge and get over it. I guess someone will always be disappointed 

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It would also reduce pressure on the servers if people didn't try and get tickets for randoms from the internet.

Yes it would. But that wasn’t my point. My point was deterring those who aren’t really arsed from trying.

I’m really fed up with having to defend myself against people who intentionally want to twist and manipulate my points. But yeah it’s easy to fucking join in and gang up on me. Parasite.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes it would. But that wasn’t my point. My point was deterring those who aren’t really arsed from trying.

I’m really fed up with having to defend myself against people who intentionally want to twist and manipulate my points. But yeah it’s easy to fucking join in and gang up on me. Parasite.

At the festival have you ever got the feeling that there are too many people there who aren't fussed?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I  don't agree with removing the deposit scheme but I agree that there is no need for the ganging up, it's like bullying in the school playground ffs. How old are some of you on here?