Drop the deposit.

Matt42

There is no reason why 2.5 million people shouldn’t all have a fair shot at a ticket at a reasonable deposit. I’m ticketless and absolutely gutted but I don’t feel the system needs changing. It’s fair, it’s just about luck. The festival is incredibly popular and that’s a great thing.

As painful as it is I’m not losing hope after missing out, there are other options and I intend to get there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But you’re paying the exact same money at the end anyway? £50 in October is not a cheaper method - you’re still spending the same amount of money at the end of the process?

I understand it is annoying that some people might struggle with October but something has to change if 2.4 million people are genuinely trying for tickets. Especially if many of those have a spare £50 to throw at the sale when they don’t know if they can definitely attend.

Do you have a phone contract or buy the phone outright? Guessing the former and it's cause despite being more expensive it's more affordable to split it.

42 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they could leave it a couple of days to process payment?

i've bought plenty of things online that hve been processed, shipped and delivered before payment has even come out.

could probably do with dropping it to 4 tickets per person anyway, 6 seems quite arbitrary.

I agree about the 4 ticket allocation. 6 is too high. Would prolong sale but that would not be a bad thing for people willing to persevere 

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My point is NOT that some people are more entitled to go than others - I just believe there should be more measures in place to stop tickets going to those who don’t really want them. It is NOT about whether someone has or does not have, a right to go.

Is this really an issue though? The reasons that people who are successful with tickets but end up not going are probably many - yes there will be some that don’t go because of the line-up (but even then, so-what? People can change their minds you know), but many will drop out for other reasons; financial, health, relationships ending, new babies etc.

The main issue for me though would be that your proposal would unfairly hinder families being able to go. By early October they’re just recovering from the financial hit of the summer holidays, and Christmas is just around the corner. 

Edited by henry bear

Supply/Demand, randomness of hitting the server at the right time, affordable deposit - seems to me there's nothing broken that needs fixing. I've been frustrated by failing to get a ticket for several years in a row, relying on others or working at the festival, but I got them today so celebrating.

The system isn't broken, it delivers a great crowd with new and old faces, pretty good diversity overall, the 60k+ volunteers keep some of the vibrancy needed in the mix. Don't mess with it I say.

Next year, when I fail to get tickets in October, I will be voting for changing the system wholesale!!

22 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Can’t remember if we’ve had figures but last three times I’ve been has been through the resale so it is a realistic shot at a ticket.

Me too. Even if it’s 10%, that’s still a hefty number of tickets up for grabs

1 minute ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Do you have a phone contract or buy the phone outright? Guessing the former and it's cause despite being more expensive it's more affordable to split it.

It’s a bit of a silly comparison though as this is premised on the basis of making a ticket system smoother?

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Some people have morals lol. I’m not paying a coder extra just to secure my chances of getting a ticket.

Trying to price people out of a left leaning festival is far more morally questionable than using a skill or knowledge you already have to *legally and legitimately work your way around a ticket buying website.

*And that’s if the ability to do so even exists 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m totally fine with you not believing me but it is a thing. Those skilled at coding find ways to get to that reg page a different way.

There are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people that are professionally "skilled at coding" in the UK. It reads like you've been sold a lie by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and you've swallowed it up.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s a bit of a silly comparison though as this is premised on the basis of making a ticket system smoother?

You made out that paying 50 quid now and the rest later made no difference to people as it cost the same in total which is silly logic.

Do you have 1500 quid in your current account atm? Not many do I wouldn't think

No business in their right mind is going to take an action that deliberately diminishes desire for their product or service. 

The festival is in the strongest position it has ever been and isn’t about to start changing the ticketing system to “ease the traffic”.

The way we have it is completely fair. (I say this as somebody who missed out today). 

• Like 1

I do love that a simple post to moot a way that the ticket system could be reformed has turned into a debate about whether I’m a classist and trying to construe it that I have a presumption of who I deem worthy at the festival.

This is someone who couldn’t attend 2019 because I genuinely couldn’t afford it - deposit or full payment it wasn’t economically feasible.

toodles!

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m totally fine with you not believing me but it is a thing. Those skilled at coding find ways to get to that reg page a different way.

I'm a coder. you're full of shit, as usual.

coding has fuck all to do with the sale. if you had said network engineer, you might be at least on the right road (but still, as usual, full of shit).

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people that are professionally "skilled at coding" in the UK? It reads like you've been sold a lie by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and you've swallowed it up.

I have no doubt that there may be a handful of people out there who can bypass the system. But they would be statistically insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Look at it realistically, if it was easy to game the system this forum would be awash with people offering to do it for a fee. There would be blogs and YouTube videos and the like dedicated to it... it would not stay a secret as there would be big money to be made from doing it.

As you say, it sounds like Matt has swallowed some bullshit and come over here to crusade against it.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I do love that a simple post to moot a way that the ticket system could be reformed has turned into a debate about whether I’m a classist and trying to construe it that I have a presumption of who I deem worthy at the festival.

This is someone who couldn’t attend 2019 because I genuinely couldn’t afford it - deposit or full payment it wasn’t economically feasible.

toodles!

If you couldn't afford it last year why are you suggesting changing the process to a way in which someone paying for 6 people to go would have to have 1500 quid in their bank account at that time? You can't even transfer before hand cause you don't know this gonna get through.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

That's a very disingenuous way of describing your (original) premise though. Your opening post was specifically about making it easier for so called "loyal" people - ie the ones you deemed worthy - which therefore logically would make it more difficult for people who aren't worthy.

That's not about improving the ticket system or making it smoother, it's about slanting the odds in favour of one group over another.

Glastonbury tickets are massively in demand, if ‘coders’ could genuinely game the system do you not think at least one of us other than you might have come across one of them selling their services?

As morally questionable as it would be, it would happen and it would be a thing, you’d read about it and see it advertised, it would be posted on here, on eBay, gumtree etc.

Yet nobody has ever heard of it or been offered this service? That’s slightly strange isn’t it?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have no doubt that there may be a handful of people out there who can bypass the system. But they would be statistically insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Look at it realistically, if it was easy to game the system this forum would be awash with people offering to do it for a fee. There would be blogs and YouTube videos and the like dedicated to it... it would not stay a secret as there would be big money to be made from doing it.

I'm still hoping to marry Emily. Not sure if MrsCJ is on board with that idea though.

I would at least lower the amount of tickets you can buy in one go. Two or four would be enough, everyone pick a buddy. Groups of people would still be able to go together and I don't think it would hurt sales. 

120k / 6 = 20,000 transactions. That's not many (when given the amount of punters it serves).

The idea that it only needs 3 people to get through and they can hover up 18 tickets seems ridiculous to me, especially given the amount of people trying to get them. So what if it takes an extra hour on the Sunday to process everyone? At least then you'd have a fairer chance of getting through than people collecting them on the off chance they still want to go in 9 months time. 

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I would at least lower the amount of tickets you can buy in one go. Two or four would be enough, everyone pick a buddy. Groups of people would still be able to go together and I don't think it would hurt sales. 

120k / 6 = 20,000 transactions. That's not many (when given the amount of punters it serves).

The idea that it only needs 3 people to get through and they can hover up 18 tickets seems ridiculous to me, especially given the amount of people trying to get them. So what if it takes an extra hour on the Sunday to process everyone? At least then you'd have a fairer chance of getting through than people collecting them on the off chance they still want to go in 9 months time. 

Only problem with groups of two is that splits up families wanting to go.

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I agree in part, but for most people things are more enjoyable with their group of friends. I don’t think it would necessarily Increase your odds of going either, you’d be competing with the same amount of people and presumably the system could handle transactions of two more quickly and smoothly. It would just decrease your chances of going with more people.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Only problem with groups of two is that splits up families wanting to go.

Dang, and there I thought I had a good idea ?

Well, I suppose if the children are under 12, they'd be able to go for free anyway, and anyone older would have to play along just like everyone else, I don't think families should get any special right to go together just because they're related. If two 15 year olds want to go with their parents that's fair enough, but they would all have to get through - or at least twice - and co-ordinate just like everyone else has to. Equality of opportunity and all that.