Drop the deposit.

Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

I do understand that it’s a sensitive issue as some may be priced out - but most other festivals ask for full ticket price upfront so it’s not abhorrent for Glastonbury to ask that.

If the process is going to be easier something has got to give. I don’t really see it happening but any move to make the festival rush easier won’t be universally accepted.

you're coming off a bit poorly here, i'm sorry to say. "I want it to be easier for me, so want put up a financial barrier to keep others out".

Just now, Matt42 said:

I do understand that it’s a sensitive issue as some may be priced out - but most other festivals ask for full ticket price upfront so it’s not abhorrent for Glastonbury to ask that.

If the process is going to be easier something has got to give. I don’t really see it happening but any move to make the festival rush easier won’t be universally accepted.

Most other festivals don't sell out in 30 minutes, and many have tiered pricing schemes.  Most other festivals don't do anywhere near as much for their customers.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Glastonbury isn't like other festivals though.

It has a different demographic to those whom it appealed to in years gone by but that doesn't mean it needs to forget those people.

Keep the deposit, keep the ethics.

I don’t mind some disagreeing with this take but can we not insinuate I’m being intentionally classist. 

The point of my post was there needs to be something done about the people who put down deposits with 0 intention of going / conditional intent to see if someone like FM plays.

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

you're coming off a bit poorly here, i'm sorry to say. "I want it to be easier for me, so want put up a financial barrier to keep others out".

I got tickets this year! I’m trying to think of ways that it could be easier for Glastonbury’s loyal crowd!!!

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But you’re paying the exact same money at the end anyway? £50 in October is not a cheaper method - you’re still spending the same amount of money at the end of the process?

I understand it is annoying that some people might struggle with October but something has to change if 2.4 million people are genuinely trying for tickets. Especially if many of those have a spare £50 to throw at the sale when they don’t know if they can definitely attend.

People can't afford it. Why do yo think people buy phones on contract rather than buy it outright and then get a sim which would be cheaper? 

If you change it to upfront you're 1-making it for the elite cos not everyone can pay that upfront ( I certainly can't ), 2- The vast majority (i say 95%) have the intention of going if they have a ticket because its such a hassle to get them.  

There is a system for the very few who don't have the intention of going - resale. Other festivals don't sell out in 30 minutes, i can easily buy myself a ticket for reading, BEstival (RIP) since there wasn't the demand.

Edited by aj6658

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

When you're poorer, it's harder to budget for these things. Those who don't want to go will lose their tickets in April putting more into the pot and those who end up going will be new blood.

Despite having been once or twice before, it's a good thing that new people attend. Loyalty shouldn't be rewarded, newbies deserve to go more than you or I do.

Keep the deposit.

Could people not just budget to pay the full amount in october instead of April? I don't think they should drop the deposit though. The fact that it's only 50 quid up front has meant it's been easier for me to convince people to go with me but I don't see how it makes the festival cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t mind some disagreeing with this take but can we not insinuate I’m being intentionally classist. 

The point of my post was there needs to be something done about the people who put down deposits with 0 intention of going / conditional intent to see if someone like FM plays.

Let them. They're new blood.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If those people choose not to go then someone else gets to buy them later. What’s the issue?

• Upvote 1

When I opened this thread I thought it would be about the idea of not having payment at the same time as getting through with the 6 registrations. Everyone gets their confirmation email, and then they have a week to pay their £50. One less screen to crash on during the ridiculous scrum.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I do understand that they have a right to do what they want - but do you not feel like the system should be geared towards those who genuinely want to attend?

Nope. Genuinely not. I love the idea of someone going on a whim, having their head turned and completely falling in love with the place.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why does something have to be done about that? If they go they’re new blood for the festival, if they don’t people who want to go get a shot in the resale.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Surely you can see how that’s a bit of a shortsighted take? You know this process well.

Reading between the lines you seem to have a notion of the “proper” sort of festival goer, the folk like us who obsess over ever scrap of information and plan our festivals months in advance. The reality is that most people are not like this, if someone wants to get a ticket just because one band they like might play then that’s up to them, their reasons are no more or less valid than yours.

6 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

When I opened this thread I thought it would be about the idea of not having payment at the same time as getting through with the 6 registrations. Everyone gets their confirmation email, and then they have a week to pay their £50. One less screen to crash on during the ridiculous scrum.

I like this maybe not a week but 24 hour period.