Spice girls are rumoured

glastofun

Wherever they played, they’d pull one of the (if not the) biggest crowds the festival has ever seen. They’re not gonna headline, but if they were willing to accept third down or even the Legend slot then it would be a ludicrously fun hour and a bit of wall to wall cheese and bangers. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I wonder if a few years of Mel basically begging to play will turn Emily’s hand if Glasto just want a gigantic divisive act. 

They already will have their hands full when Taylor doesnt return and Emily bears the blame for Billie being there. But if you want to create an even bigger shit storm then Spice Girls would do the job.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

They already will have their hands full when Taylor doesnt return and Emily bears the blame for Billie being there. But if you want to create an even bigger shit storm then Spice Girls would do the job.

It’s really not going to be that dramatic Taylor not being there.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m sure they’ll go down an absolute storm as a Sunday afternoon act three or four years from now.

They’ll never headline outright, but a legends performance would be pretty big.

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Stick em on the Pymild 3rd down on the Friday and you wouldn't get any complaints from me. Could claim (tenuously) 3 legend slots then with Aerosmith and Diana Ross the following 2 days. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Wherever they played, they’d pull one of the (if not the) biggest crowds the festival has ever seen. They’re not gonna headline, but if they were willing to accept third down or even the Legend slot then it would be a ludicrously fun hour and a bit of wall to wall cheese and bangers. 

Fully agree with these. As a teenager I HATED Spice Girls because my younger sister assaulted my ear drums with their albums on repeat (she wore out the VHS of SpiceWorld the Movie too), however, I think they'd be a really fun Sunday afternoon act. 

The soundclash on the landing at home must have been hell for my parents thinking back - Deftones/Slipknot/Blink-182 etc at full volume from one side and Spice Girls/5ive coming back from the other side. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is pretty compelling you know. Risks upstaging Billie and Kendrick but you get a fair claim of 6-ish headliners.

On the flip side, would mean the festival can give a good leg up to some acts as sub-headliners, such as Wolf Alice etc, whilst still providing big, established names.

I honestly think this would be more painful than anything else.

Heritage-type acts do their best with a bit of self-awareness and a nod and a wink to their past.  I might be completely wrong, but I'd expect them to be doing the whole girl power thing and V-signs and all the rest of it with no trace of irony. Which would be painful.

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

I honestly think this would be more painful than anything else.

Heritage-type acts do their best with a bit of self-awareness and a nod and a wink to their past.  I might be completely wrong, but I'd expect them to be doing the whole girl power thing and V-signs and all the rest of it with no trace of irony. Which would be painful.

I think you’re right on mindset. The best Legend slots have been done by performers who get it (Dolly, Lionel, Kylie), who show the necessary level of self awareness and just bring a big OTT, camp pop party.

If they approach it right, they could smash it out the park. Personally I’d be taking advantage of how quiet the rest of the site was, but there you are.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think you’re right on mindset. The best Legend slots have been done by performers who get it (Dolly, Lionel, Kylie), who show the necessary level of self awareness and just bring a big OTT, camp pop party.

If they approach it right, they could smash it out the park. Personally I’d be taking advantage of how quiet the rest of the site was, but there you are.

100%. They have a certain amount of cheesy nostalgia when a song comes on, but that's just it - a song. No way I could do a whole set. Whereas Lionel and Kylie I can and have listened to their greatest hits quite happily.

Edited by Quark

• 5 months later...