The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

Yes! My best worst thread of the year queue the crippling weather worries. We’ve made it this far there’s no way I’ll let a bit or a lot of mud ruin the 50th! Suppose we could do with cooler temperatures since it sounds like most of the festival goers are going to be wearing quarantine suits for the whole weekend! 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, eFestivals said:

apart from the last few years, the only other good run of good weather fests that comes to my mind is a number of years (I forget how many) that ended in 1995. 

From what I know historically 1986-1995 were all dry/decent weather, 1999-2003 were all relatively dry and then 2017- to date....with other odd years (eg 2010) hot in-between mud baths.

I agree with some on here, I've got a nasty feeling this year is going to be a washout.

• Downvote 1

I have varying feelings regarding a washout

1. I love the sun, a sunny festival is amazing and strolling around in your shorts and sandals at a festival just makes me happy 

2. A Total wash out could make it easier the next year to get tickets, I am sure people see the sun on the BBC and decide they must go  and enjoy the festival. I have done a few ash outs and they are not that bad... I mean I am still going every year 

4 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

1. I love the sun, a sunny festival is amazing and strolling around in your shorts and sandals at a festival just makes me happy 

2. A Total wash out could make it easier the next year to get tickets, I am sure people see the sun on the BBC and decide they must go  and enjoy the festival. I have done a few ash outs and they are not that bad... I mean I am still going every year 

I don't even mind it not being sunny.

Dry and overcast all weekend would suit me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I'm planning on giving it a break after this year so am not in it for the long game and want it to be dry! 

Not necessarily sunny I'm just happy with dry 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

2017 tickets were famously easy to get after 2016.

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 7:58 AM, yehbutnobut said:

Imagine its been said, but three years on the bounce including the fallow it's been roasting... surely we're due a wet one. If this was roulette I'd now be betting it all on the other colour. Any data for the record on consecutive dry fests? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

From what I know historically 1986-1995 were all dry/decent weather,

hmmmm ... I can remember spending 24 hours or so stood in water at the stall i was running one of those years - perhaps 1988? I can't remember what the weather was like overall, but there was a spell that definitely wasn't dry or decent.

5 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

From what I know historically 1986-1995 were all dry/decent weather, 1999-2003 were all relatively dry and then 2017- to date....with other odd years (eg 2010) hot in-between mud baths.

I agree with some on here, I've got a nasty feeling this year is going to be a washout.

We're due one 

And with the weather we're having at the moment could be bad.. I'd like things just to stay dry. Not just for festive season but for all those people flooded once again.... AGAIN AFTER THE GOVERNMENT SAID THEY WOULD FIX IT........ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, dotdash79 said:

I've took the data from the same place as yourself and put it into a table to get an idea of where we are, and it's not looking good, we are almost at the same amount of rain fall so far this year as the whole of last year. Let's hope for a dry spring.

The green boxes are the driest year for that month, orange-red the wettest. I've greyed out the fallow years.

I've updated the table for with the rainfall for Feb, it's not been the best month but surprisingly not the worst. I've also totalled up the rainfall to the year to date, long and short we have had wetter.

weather feb.png

• Upvote 2

Current long range Met Office reason for cautious optimism for the next few weeks...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/long-range-forecast

Sunday 15 Mar - Tuesday 24 Mar

It will start unsettled and windy. Although rain may be slow to clear from southern and southeastern parts on Sunday, brighter showery conditions should spread across most areas. The showers probably turning wintry on high ground and perhaps to low levels in the far north into Monday. Through early next week there should be a change to more settled, drier and often brighter conditions than of late, particularly across southern and central areas. More changeable, windier conditions may persist across the northwest, whilst later in the period, these more changeable conditions may extend further south again. After a rather cold start, temperatures will probably recover to near normal or mild next week, with some pleasantly warm days possible despite some widespread overnight frosts.

Wednesday 25 Mar - Wednesday 8 Apr

Generally more widely settled conditions than of late are likely to continue. There will, however, be some interludes of more changeable, windier weather, especially across the north, bringing spells of rain interspersed with sunshine and showers. Temperatures will be generally near or somewhat above average. However, as is usual when we go into spring, there will be large ranges of temperature at times, giving some frosty nights followed by pleasantly warm days as well as some marked day to day changes in temperature.There is also the possibility of spells of east or northeast winds bringing rather cold, cloudy conditions to eastern parts.

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We are getting near the time when we will be looking for long dry spells to lower the water table which in turn will aid drainage if we get a wet spell closer to the festival time. 

I told the sky yesterday evening that it can just fuck off with heavy rain for the next 4 months.

I think it listened as I can see nothing but blue skies at the moment.

• 2 months later...