The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

2007 was miserable - constant rain and horrid weather- we actually left Sunday morning. Was almost as bad as 1998 - torrential rain right through the football being shown on the outside cinema. 
Over the years I have been:

84 - ok, 86 -ok a bit of rain

95 - hot; 97 &  98  wet and very muddy 99& 2000-fine; 02& 03 both ok but chilly ( 04 missed out on tix) 05 - thunderstorm and flooding on Friday but nicely warm and dried up by Sunday. 07 - wet mudfest, (08 I was in Oz) 09- a bit mixed but was both hot and muddy! 2010- baking hot, 2011- wet and muddy, 2013- mixed, 2014-mixed, 2015-mixed, 2016 - yuck mud , 2017- fine, 2019- hot!! 
and it’s never too soon to think about the weather - especially when it’s wet and miserable outside like tonight! 

On 10/10/2019 at 3:08 PM, eFestivals said:

that's just how 'random' rolls - there will be some people that has the extreme happen to them.

Remember, (with all things being equal) at all moments all people trying have exactly the same chance of getting through - the fact that you got through 5 minutes earlier doesn't come into it.

There's nothing average about random.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, eFestivals said:

the last two baking hot years has seen the weather break to something cooler on the opening day of WOMAD - which is slightly spooky.

But anyway, after 2 cracking summers I reckon next year's Glasto is going to be a quagmire. It's how it goes.

One of these guys gets it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 9:01 PM, sedra said:

2007 was miserable - constant rain and horrid weather- we actually left Sunday morning. Was almost as bad as 1998 - torrential rain right through the football being shown on the outside cinema. 
Over the years I have been:

84 - ok, 86 -ok a bit of rain

95 - hot; 97 &  98  wet and very muddy 99& 2000-fine; 02& 03 both ok but chilly ( 04 missed out on tix) 05 - thunderstorm and flooding on Friday but nicely warm and dried up by Sunday. 07 - wet mudfest, (08 I was in Oz) 09- a bit mixed but was both hot and muddy! 2010- baking hot, 2011- wet and muddy, 2013- mixed, 2014-mixed, 2015-mixed, 2016 - yuck mud , 2017- fine, 2019- hot!! 
and it’s never too soon to think about the weather - especially when it’s wet and miserable outside like tonight! 

2013 rained on the Thursday afternoon/early evening but was nice and dry apart from that. :)

My American husband will be in attendance in 2020. He has a theory that all British people lie about the weather to keep tourists away, because each time he's visited it's been blazing hot. So, I suspect it will be blazing hot.

But then on the flipside, all the Glastonburys I've been to have been cold and wet.

But on the contrary, we're going to be carrying in a LOT of wet weather gear, so sods law says we won't need any of it.

Then again, every festival my husband has been to with me has been cooler than normal.

So take your pick.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sedra said:

Am thinking loads of rain now means a dry summer next year. Somewhere someone weathery expert can verify this I am sure! 
hope anyone currently underwater up north are all ok. 

Add to the sentiments about those up North Ive not heard of anyone on here thats been affected badly as yet ? ..... didnt we have a relatively dry winter last year though ? and a lovely festival ? 

On 11/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, sedra said:

Am thinking loads of rain now means a dry summer next year. Somewhere someone weathery expert can verify this I am sure! 
hope anyone currently underwater up north are all ok. 

I have been also observing the amount of rain but thinking to myself* "didn't it rain a lot in winter 2015-2016?" ?

*Only to myself as my friends have banned me from talking about Glasto weather this far out. Headliners and fancy dress outfit ideas that we inevitably never wear only at this stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I have been also observing the amount of rain but thinking to myself* "didn't it rain a lot in winter 2015-2016?" ?

It was fairly average, maybe slightly below. The real damage was mostly the rain in June.

The Weather Thread has been sorely lacking in good, pointless, graphs so far this year, so starting in July 2012 for the 2013 festival (because going back any further makes the graph unreadable):

image.png.cf6c6ca2e8118564b01d7a1152a94852.png

Notes: Year quoted is the Festival year and 12 months lead up, so for example August 2016 is on the 2017 line. Rainfall data is in mm and is from Yeovilton which is about 10 miles south of the site.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

*Only to myself as my friends have banned me from talking about Glasto weather this far out. Headliners and fancy dress outfit ideas that we inevitably never wear only at this stage.

upvote for the mention of fancy dress in November :) 

14 hours ago, incident said:

It was fairly average, maybe slightly below. The real damage was mostly the rain in June.

The Weather Thread has been sorely lacking in good, pointless, graphs so far this year, so starting in July 2012 for the 2013 festival (because going back any further makes the graph unreadable):

Notes: Year quoted is the Festival year and 12 months lead up, so for example August 2016 is on the 2017 line. Rainfall data is in mm and is from Yeovilton which is about 10 miles south of the site.

I  bloody love a graph. Sterling work, incident!

Just got to figure out a way of not obsessing over rainfall for the next 8 months!

15 hours ago, incident said:

Lovely bit of graphwork that.

29 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

just let me know when its time to panic. is it time to panic yet? im panicing

I'm already considering getting an inflatable dinghy if it carries on raining the way it is.

But seriously, unless every month has much higher than average rainfall from now I'm not going to give it much thought until mid April.

Then the madness really starts.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Have we ever had three hot and dry years in a row? Certainly not since I started going in 2004...

1999-2003 was the last nice and relatively dry streak with four festivals  in a row with decent weather!

Would have had three great weather festivals in a row if we hadn’t had a fallow year in 2018. Had a holiday in pilton during the week the festival would have been on and walked the deserted site every day, lovely weather! 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Would have had three great weather festivals in a row if we hadn’t had a fallow year in 2018. Had a holiday in pilton during the week the festival would have been on and walked the deserted site every day, lovely weather! 

iirc 2006 would have been boiling hot but 2012 would have been a complete wash out, win some, lose some. :)