The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

41 minutes ago, DyatlovReturns said:

Do you think, if the weather for the festival was guaranteed (somehow) on ticket day, and it was certain to wash out, tickets would sell out as quickly?

Also, do people think if we did have a washout year, ticket sales would be drastically slower the following year? Or 30 minutes is going to be the norm now?

5 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Does seem like the climate is shifting to being hotter and drier there that time of year though.

Last year was amazing but the Saturday was definitely too hot. Same sun with being a bit cooler would be perfect.

It’s all about the jetstream. 

On 10/11/2019 at 12:02 AM, Mrbish82 said:

Also, do people think if we did have a washout year, ticket sales would be drastically slower the following year? Or 30 minutes is going to be the norm now?

Ticket day following 2016’s mud bath hell, was just as bad as any other, any impact wasn’t noticeable.

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Ticket day following 2016’s mud bath hell, was just as bad as any other, any impact wasn’t noticeable.

While that's true, I do think there's a meaningful difference between 2016 and 2007 in this conversation - in that 2016 still managed to look pretty decent on TV - there was minimal rain during the afternoons and evenings when acts were on, and while the ground conditions underfoot were problematic the sun was mostly shining. Whereas in 2007 the TV pictures just showed us getting rained on most of the time. Which we were.

7 minutes ago, incident said:

While that's true, I do think there's a meaningful difference between 2016 and 2007 in this conversation - in that 2016 still managed to look pretty decent on TV - there was minimal rain during the afternoons and evenings when acts were on, and while the ground conditions underfoot were problematic the sun was mostly shining. Whereas in 2007 the TV pictures just showed us getting rained on most of the time. Which we were.

Definitely. Aside from a few heavy showers scattered throughout the weekend, the weather wasn't too bad. It was just horrendous underfoot.

Statistically, its not looking good for 2020. We've had glorious weather over Glastonbury for every year since 2016 and was extremely lucky in the weather we did get this year. Hopefully the pilton force field will work its magic one more time but I'm managing my expectations and suspect we'll have another 2011.

20 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Definitely. Aside from a few heavy showers scattered throughout the weekend, the weather wasn't too bad. It was just horrendous underfoot.

Statistically, its not looking good for 2020. We've had glorious weather over Glastonbury for every year since 2016 and was extremely lucky in the weather we did get this year. Hopefully the pilton force field will work its magic one more time but I'm managing my expectations and suspect we'll have another 2011.

2011 was my first and I was woefully unprepared. I thought my normal boots which had survived other festivals would have been fine. 

The sun did emerge eventually although the mud levels were something else. 

24 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

2011 was my first and I was woefully unprepared. I thought my normal boots which had survived other festivals would have been fine. 

The sun did emerge eventually although the mud levels were something else. 

I'm pretty sure it was raining sideways at one point. 

To go from the intense heat of 2010 to 2011 was quite the departure but it was as my dad would say, it was "character building"

On 10/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, Mrbish82 said:

It would need to be a mud bath several years in a row with a bit of 05 flooding thrown in for good measure to affect T day.

1 hour ago, Ohinever said:

2011 was a pimple on the bone chilling incessant muzzle of 2007.

I still feel cold, wet and miserable thinking about it. 

My wife actually got frostbite in 07. Standing in a puddle for 2 hrs waiting for our coach home in the early hours of Monday probably wasn’t a good idea.