The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

I've only been to 2013, 2015 & 2017 - All good weather years with 2017 being pretty much perfect in my opinion. 

This year would have been interesting, it's hard to know the effect the thunderstorms would have had on the ground, I remember it rained on the Thursday in 2013 but we were sat on the ground again by midday Friday... beautiful clay Glasto ground! 

A little cooler on the Wednesday would have been perfect in 2017. There were lots of people struggling with dehydration from spending a long time queuing and having to move gear across site. 

I remember most of 2011 being tough, once the rain stopped the ground was still a mess and wellies were needed all weekend. Shorts and small socks meant the hair on my calves was rubbed away and I still had the effects of wellie burn a few days after the festival ended. 

Nice and dry throughout with temperatures no more than 25 would be perfect. 

12 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I've only been to 2013, 2015 & 2017 - All good weather years with 2017 being pretty much perfect in my opinion. 

This year would have been interesting, it's hard to know the effect the thunderstorms would have had on the ground, I remember it rained on the Thursday in 2013 but we were sat on the ground again by midday Friday... beautiful clay Glasto ground! 

That’s the thing with the Glasto mud, it’s fine when it rains as it’s all slushy, then you get that period when it turns to Glue. In 2016 it really didn’t rain that much at all, the ground was just fucked from the previous few weeks of heavy rainfall. Them during the festival the rain we actually had wasn’t that bad, but it was almost perfectly timed to keep the ground in that perpetual glue state the entire time.

I think a one off rainstorm would be fine within 24 hours as long as it doesn’t rain again.

1 hour ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Took this at 16.45pm on the Friday at the Other Stage

IMG_2413.jpg

Watched Beans on Toast in the naughty corner when the power went off, he moved everyone from the Hell Stage to the Snake Lounge(?) and one of the best bits of Glastonbury I've ever experienced. He was one of the few acts still playing at that time. 

Edited by andyhh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s the thing with the Glasto mud, it’s fine when it rains as it’s all slushy, then you get that period when it turns to Glue. In 2016 it really didn’t rain that much at all, the ground was just fucked from the previous few weeks of heavy rainfall. Them during the festival the rain we actually had wasn’t that bad, but it was almost perfectly timed to keep the ground in that perpetual glue state the entire time.

I think a one off rainstorm would be fine within 24 hours as long as it doesn’t rain again.

If 2016 had been my first year it would have been enough to put me off. It was such a chore to get from A to B added to the fact there were very few places you could have a sit down besides back at your own tent. 

I've only been to four 2015 - 2019. For me 2017 had the perfect balance it never felt too hot after the Wednesday and I could see everything I wanted to see! 2019 was just too hot I remember rushing to see Vampire Weekend's secret set at the Park and then having to find shelter behind a portaloo just to get 10 minutes of shade, I don't think my friends will ever let me live that down😂

2 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I've only been to four 2015 - 2019. For me 2017 had the perfect balance it never felt too hot after the Wednesday and I could see everything I wanted to see! 2019 was just too hot I remember rushing to see Vampire Weekend's secret set at the Park and then having to find shelter behind a portaloo just to get 10 minutes of shade, I don't think my friends will ever let me live that down😂

We did exactly the same with VW. Dragged my friend out of bed to get there, stood there for about 10 minutes max before it became unbearable. It was so oppressive we decided we had to climb the hill just to get to some breeze. Although doing so temporarily made things worse, we had several cold pints up at the bar there and was wonderful with an actual breeze. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We did exactly the same with VW. Dragged my friend out of bed to get there, stood there for about 10 minutes max before it became unbearable. It was so oppressive we decided we had to climb the hill just to get to some breeze. Although doing so temporarily made things worse, we had several cold pints up at the bar there and was wonderful with an actual breeze. 

My mistake is I got hungry and then really flustered to the point where you don't know what you want and get really overwhelmed so I ended up having a bit of a mare that morning haha. Eventually my best friend and I stumbled into the woods by the railway track and had an amazing £5 meal it really did save the day. 

Should've got a beer and sat in the breeze like yourself, thought I knew better but I really did not haha.

Edited by Kalopsia

55 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

If 2016 had been my first year it would have been enough to put me off. It was such a chore to get from A to B added to the fact there were very few places you could have a sit down besides back at your own tent. 

2007 was my first year and even that wasn't enough to put me off. Everything since has never been as bad and that kept me going. 2016 came close to it, though the worst bit for me was actually getting to site and then setting the tent up. Leaving Tetbury at 6am and then not being able to sit down and have a beer once the tents were up until almost 6pm was a killer that I didn't recover from the whole weekend. From memory most of the rain in 2016 during the festival was overnight, though the ground was a mess from the constant rain the month prior.

Most other years have been a dream, with 2011 probably being the worst of the other ones. The sheeting rain watching U2 on the Friday evening was horrendous, though it warmed up again by Saturday afternoon and by the Sunday you could sit down pretty much everywhere.

2017 was pretty much perfect weather wise, though the Wednesday could have been a few degrees cooler. I think I noticed about 5 minutes of light drizzle across the whole weekend, barely even needing to put on a waterproof.

If the festival had run this weekend, we'd have had 2 scorching days and then pot luck over the weekend if a storm hit us or not. There will be some rain over the weekend, though what hits the site or doesn't is still up in the air.

2017 was great. Ideally it could have been a few degrees warmer (I missed the Weds!), and I got caught in a couple of light showers.  But yeah, can't really complain.

2015 would have been fairly close to perfection if it wasn't for that heavy rain on Friday afternoon.

2019 was great and completely dry, but it did get uncomfortably hot on the sat without the breeze.

Those are probably my favourite 3 that I've been to. 2011/14 had a bit of everything, and 2016 was obviously dominated by the mud.

Edited by Lubic87

It would have been 2017 scenes had the festival opened today for sure.  I rolled up mid afternoon and by the time I'd put the tent up it looked like I'd been swimming, and I got off easy compared to those poor buggers in the queue. 

4 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

2016 was my first year and I remember getting off the coach on the Wednesday and feeling totally overwhelmed by the mud. By Thursday afternoon though I had totally got used to it and had the most amazing time,  I was itching to go back. I actually think if 2019 had been my first year it would've been the heat giving me second thoughts about returning. That was tough!

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a lovely breeze in Yorkshire but that’s a sign of bad weather to come. I think some places will be swimming by the weekend. 

It’s scorchio in Somerset ... couldn’t find an inch of shade out on my walk ... people seemed to be sheltering in the shadows of those damn flags 

2019: I did a 6 hour shift on the Saturday morning from 6 am cleaning long drops after 3 hours sleep and then got straight on it through to 3 am the Sunday morning including the face melting Fontaines DC set in Williams Green.

It was a proper tough regime and was as hot as Kandahar in 2009, but a bit less terrifying.  

This feels the same today.  Fuckin redders

Edited by Jay Pee

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:42 AM, dingbat2 said:

I was a little bit sensible after the heat of Snapped Ankles by spending the next hour watching the mighty Egg in the shade at the Spike. Love the Egg!

I actually wrecked a pair of shoes at Snapped Ankles' Strummerville gig; plenty of clay like mud in that shady area. Ace gig once they got going though.