Jump to content

The Weather Thread 2020


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Actually any thunderstorms are usually localised and can easily miss the festival site, as we have seen over the years when dire weather was forecast but nothing happened. The rest of the weekend is showing a chance of precipitation with a 30% chance at the most, and sunny intervals. 

Unlike our area where it’s been pishing  down all day and apart from Thursday more is expected over the weekend so my garden Glasto is gonna be a wet

Happy how the climate works round here, we have the weather all year not just June. Just a bit tedious the constant "hope it rains on Pilton" Schick. Shows a distinct lack of awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how weather works.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took this at 16.45pm on the Friday at the Other Stage

Thanks, I think we are going to be enjoying the sun for the next day or so. I hope everyone has the great weather this weekend so that their parties are the best.   Our wonderful village fete w

It was fairly average, maybe slightly below. The real damage was mostly the rain in June. The Weather Thread has been sorely lacking in good, pointless, graphs so far this year, so starting in Ju

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Happy how the climate works round here, we have the weather all year not just June. Just a bit tedious the constant "hope it rains on Pilton" Schick. Shows a distinct lack of awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how weather works.

Our Festival weather motto is hope for the best but prepare for the worst!  Weather formations especially when showers are forecast are hit and miss. Also the ground conditions can depend on what the previous three months were like. Would be lovely to stand at the stile at the bottom of Hitchin hill and watch the weather roll in over the site! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just looked at the Beeb and wow, the weather for a festival this weekend now looks pretty bad. Way too hot for a couple of days, then reasonably persistent rain every day of the festival, accompanied by less than ideal temperatures. 

Not 2007 levels of rain, but pretty crappy and you never really know how much is going to fall in a thunderstorm.

Thank fuck. I wouldn't say I'm glad it was cancelled this year, but still. That's a bad year. Worse than 2014, 2009, 2008 (obviously worse than 2019,2017, 2010). And if you're camped somewhere sensible, probably worse than 2005!

Not worse than 2016. You wouldn't be sitting down during the main festival this year(although you would before the main stages open), but you're not losing a welly either. And obviously not worse than 2007 *shudder*.

For the years I didn't go, I think it looks worse than 2015 and 2013, possibly better than 2011?

And for completeness, better than 97/98, worse than 99/2000, no idea on 2002 worse than 2003, and similar to 2004.

How does everyone else think it compares?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've just looked at the Beeb and wow, the weather for a festival this weekend now looks pretty bad. Way too hot for a couple of days, then reasonably persistent rain every day of the festival, accompanied by less than ideal temperatures. 

Not 2007 levels of rain, but pretty crappy and you never really know how much is going to fall in a thunderstorm.

Thank fuck. I wouldn't say I'm glad it was cancelled this year, but still. That's a bad year. Worse than 2014, 2009, 2008 (obviously worse than 2019,2017, 2010). And if you're camped somewhere sensible, probably worse than 2005!

Not worse than 2016. You wouldn't be sitting down during the main festival this year(although you would before the main stages open), but you're not losing a welly either. And obviously not worse than 2007 *shudder*.

For the years I didn't go, I think it looks worse than 2015 and 2013, possibly better than 2011?

And for completeness, better than 97/98, worse than 99/2000, no idea on 2002 worse than 2003, and similar to 2004.

How does everyone else think it compares?

I think the weather looks fine:

 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5n88mb#?nearestTo=Pylle (Somerset)&date=2020-06-23

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Better than the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640282

Actually I've changed my mind, it's not that wet. But still, too hot, followed by rain and a bit too cold. Having said that, it's still better than half the middling years above.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Happy how the climate works round here, we have the weather all year not just June. Just a bit tedious the constant "hope it rains on Pilton" Schick. Shows a distinct lack of awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how weather works.

Yep, no idea how people's minds work myself.

I'd much rather be at a festival with a bit iffy weather, than stuck at home attempting to recreate some kind of festival vibe with said shite weather. 

"woo woo I hope it rains, woo woo I hope it rains ..... ah fuck it look now it rained all weekend and I can't even enjoy not being at Glastonbury. Don't worry though that will obviously guarantee a dry one next year", yep good luck with that then.

1997 was my all time favourite, loved 2007, 2005 was a bit wet but when Brian Wilson belted out the tunes it was stupidly good. My shittest Glastonbury's have always been the ones I didn't go to. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

 

Yep, no idea how people's minds work myself.

I'd much rather be at a festival with a bit iffy weather, than stuck at home attempting to recreate some kind of festival vibe with said shite weather. 

"woo woo I hope it rains, woo woo I hope it rains ..... ah fuck it look now it rained all weekend and I can't even enjoy not being at Glastonbury. Don't worry though that will obviously guarantee a dry one next year", yep good luck with that then.

1997 was my all time favourite, loved 2007, 2005 was a bit wet but when Brian Wilson belted out the tunes it was stupidly good. My shittest Glastonbury's have always been the ones I didn't go to. 

 

Very hard to argue with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If climate is based on averages over time, how long does there need to be a run of very dry end of June weekends for us to then say it's unusual for it to be very wet over the weekend?

So if the next 10 years are bone dry, wouldn't that lower the average rainfall over time and change your expected wheather conditions?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who's favourite weather is definitely not this. In fact - last year's festival was the hardest one for me, on a par with 2010. I saw a lot fewer acts than normal.... I still felt better this time last year than today.

2016 weather > 2019, every single time.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For the years I didn't go, I think it looks worse than 2015 and 2013, possibly better than 2011?

obviously my memory is a little hazy but..................

2011: It rained pretty much full on from Wednesday to Friday. Which was grim. The ground was proper muddy, but i don't recall it being a massive pain. It was grey most of saturday (don't think it rained). Sunday was glorious, unless you had the kind of raging, literally cannot drink hangover i had. At least you could sit on the ground on sunday (which i did. A lot.)

2013: Was pretty decent apart from some rain on Thursday evening. That cleared up quickly. 

2015: Glorious for two days. Rain on Friday afternoon which cleared up pretty quick, then warm but not too hot for the rest of the weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pilton digger said:

How considerate of you. 

No offence mate - was partly joking.

I agree with whoever posted that the worst years are ones with no festival. But for me the weather makes a big difference, and the idea of the festival having to be cancelled is made worse by the sense that we might be missing out on a (very rare) dry year.

Obviously it makes no difference to next year etc - just increases the sense of injustice. 

I have to say, given the forecast has been so consistently good for this year over the past two weeks, the fact it's turning a bit now would have been a pretty bitter pill to swallow (bit like 2015). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is gutted to be missing Glastonbury, for many it’s the highlight of their year and with this one being a particularly shit year the loss is even greater.

I think it’s perfectly understandable for some to want it to rain over what would’ve been this years festival, torrential downpours every day may make it easier for some to cope with the situation, it’s really just human nature. I know I felt particularly miserable waking up on Monday to glorious sunshine, thinking about the week ahead and if it rained every day this week it would make me feel better about not being there.

It may be irrational, and not how weather works, but when all is said and done nobody can control the weather and regardless of what anybody wishes for it won’t have any impact on what actually happens! So it’s probably not worth getting worked up about it. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chances of showers look pretty low and the dust would need damped down anyway. There were big clouds of it being kicked up by the vehicles arriving yesterday. Aside from today and tomorrow looking far too effing hot, looks grand to me. Even if all the showers happen, it'd still be fine with a binbag to sit on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

We’re all in agreement that 2017 was perfect weather wise yeah? 

The Wednesday was maybe a bit too hot for some, but I actually love it like that on the Wednesday. Other than that, yeah decent. It did rain a few times but I actually liked 2015 as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The Wednesday was maybe a bit too hot for some, but I actually love it like that on the Wednesday. Other than that, yeah decent. It did rain a few times but I actually liked 2015 as well. 

I didn’t arrive until Thursday. Saw quite a few lobsters as I arrived on site! 
 

I saw 30 seconds of rain in 2017, barely notice it. 
 

Crucially, trainers were work all weekend. 
 

2015 was pretty wet for parts of Friday wasn’t it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nikkic said:

2015 was pretty wet for parts of Friday wasn’t it?

Yeah, chucked it down for an hour or so early Friday afternoon.  The pathways got churned up but by Saturday morning it had completely dried up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nikkic said:

We’re all in agreement that 2017 was perfect weather wise yeah? 

1999, 2003, 2017 - all perfect. Dry, sunny, not too hot, one or two brief showers to keep dust at bay.

Most importantly - trainers all weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Happy how the climate works round here, we have the weather all year not just June. Just a bit tedious the constant "hope it rains on Pilton" Schick. Shows a distinct lack of awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how weather works.

Is it not kind of a joke....? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nikkic said:

We’re all in agreement that 2017 was perfect weather wise yeah? 

2017 was perfect for me. 2019 was a struggle and I'm usually ok with heat. Had a lot of naps in random patches of shade last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

1999, 2003, 2017 - all perfect. Dry, sunny, not too hot, one or two brief showers to keep dust at bay.

Most importantly - trainers all weekend. 

Trainers all weekend without it being so hot that your feet get sweaty is basically the holy grail of festivals 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2017 I remember being in the SE corner earlier hours in a vest as it had been so hot that day, and there was this really fine misty rain all of a sudden. Next day temps had dropped by 10 degrees and it was just about perfect the rest of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

2017 I remember being in the SE corner earlier hours in a vest as it had been so hot that day, and there was this really fine misty rain all of a sudden. Next day temps had dropped by 10 degrees and it was just about perfect the rest of the time.

I remember there being such a small amount of rain that it was still dusty during the rain.  Not even enough to keep the dust down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...