The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Actually any thunderstorms are usually localised and can easily miss the festival site, as we have seen over the years when dire weather was forecast but nothing happened. The rest of the weekend is showing a chance of precipitation with a 30% chance at the most, and sunny intervals. 

Unlike our area where it’s been pishing  down all day and apart from Thursday more is expected over the weekend so my garden Glasto is gonna be a wet

Happy how the climate works round here, we have the weather all year not just June. Just a bit tedious the constant "hope it rains on Pilton" Schick. Shows a distinct lack of awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how weather works.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Happy how the climate works round here, we have the weather all year not just June. Just a bit tedious the constant "hope it rains on Pilton" Schick. Shows a distinct lack of awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how weather works.

Our Festival weather motto is hope for the best but prepare for the worst!  Weather formations especially when showers are forecast are hit and miss. Also the ground conditions can depend on what the previous three months were like. Would be lovely to stand at the stile at the bottom of Hitchin hill and watch the weather roll in over the site! 

I've just looked at the Beeb and wow, the weather for a festival this weekend now looks pretty bad. Way too hot for a couple of days, then reasonably persistent rain every day of the festival, accompanied by less than ideal temperatures. 

Not 2007 levels of rain, but pretty crappy and you never really know how much is going to fall in a thunderstorm.

Thank fuck. I wouldn't say I'm glad it was cancelled this year, but still. That's a bad year. Worse than 2014, 2009, 2008 (obviously worse than 2019,2017, 2010). And if you're camped somewhere sensible, probably worse than 2005!

Not worse than 2016. You wouldn't be sitting down during the main festival this year(although you would before the main stages open), but you're not losing a welly either. And obviously not worse than 2007 *shudder*.

For the years I didn't go, I think it looks worse than 2015 and 2013, possibly better than 2011?

And for completeness, better than 97/98, worse than 99/2000, no idea on 2002 worse than 2003, and similar to 2004.

How does everyone else think it compares?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've just looked at the Beeb and wow, the weather for a festival this weekend now looks pretty bad. Way too hot for a couple of days, then reasonably persistent rain every day of the festival, accompanied by less than ideal temperatures. 

Not 2007 levels of rain, but pretty crappy and you never really know how much is going to fall in a thunderstorm.

Thank fuck. I wouldn't say I'm glad it was cancelled this year, but still. That's a bad year. Worse than 2014, 2009, 2008 (obviously worse than 2019,2017, 2010). And if you're camped somewhere sensible, probably worse than 2005!

Not worse than 2016. You wouldn't be sitting down during the main festival this year(although you would before the main stages open), but you're not losing a welly either. And obviously not worse than 2007 *shudder*.

For the years I didn't go, I think it looks worse than 2015 and 2013, possibly better than 2011?

And for completeness, better than 97/98, worse than 99/2000, no idea on 2002 worse than 2003, and similar to 2004.

How does everyone else think it compares?

I think the weather looks fine:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5n88mb#?nearestTo=Pylle (Somerset)&date=2020-06-23

8 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Better than the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640282

Actually I've changed my mind, it's not that wet. But still, too hot, followed by rain and a bit too cold. Having said that, it's still better than half the middling years above.

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Yep, no idea how people's minds work myself.

I'd much rather be at a festival with a bit iffy weather, than stuck at home attempting to recreate some kind of festival vibe with said shite weather. 

"woo woo I hope it rains, woo woo I hope it rains ..... ah fuck it look now it rained all weekend and I can't even enjoy not being at Glastonbury. Don't worry though that will obviously guarantee a dry one next year", yep good luck with that then.

1997 was my all time favourite, loved 2007, 2005 was a bit wet but when Brian Wilson belted out the tunes it was stupidly good. My shittest Glastonbury's have always been the ones I didn't go to. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

Yep, no idea how people's minds work myself.

I'd much rather be at a festival with a bit iffy weather, than stuck at home attempting to recreate some kind of festival vibe with said shite weather. 

"woo woo I hope it rains, woo woo I hope it rains ..... ah fuck it look now it rained all weekend and I can't even enjoy not being at Glastonbury. Don't worry though that will obviously guarantee a dry one next year", yep good luck with that then.

1997 was my all time favourite, loved 2007, 2005 was a bit wet but when Brian Wilson belted out the tunes it was stupidly good. My shittest Glastonbury's have always been the ones I didn't go to. 

Very hard to argue with that. 

If climate is based on averages over time, how long does there need to be a run of very dry end of June weekends for us to then say it's unusual for it to be very wet over the weekend?

So if the next 10 years are bone dry, wouldn't that lower the average rainfall over time and change your expected wheather conditions?

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

obviously my memory is a little hazy but..................

2011: It rained pretty much full on from Wednesday to Friday. Which was grim. The ground was proper muddy, but i don't recall it being a massive pain. It was grey most of saturday (don't think it rained). Sunday was glorious, unless you had the kind of raging, literally cannot drink hangover i had. At least you could sit on the ground on sunday (which i did. A lot.)

2013: Was pretty decent apart from some rain on Thursday evening. That cleared up quickly. 

2015: Glorious for two days. Rain on Friday afternoon which cleared up pretty quick, then warm but not too hot for the rest of the weekend. 

18 hours ago, pilton digger said:

How considerate of you. 

No offence mate - was partly joking.

I agree with whoever posted that the worst years are ones with no festival. But for me the weather makes a big difference, and the idea of the festival having to be cancelled is made worse by the sense that we might be missing out on a (very rare) dry year.

Obviously it makes no difference to next year etc - just increases the sense of injustice. 

I have to say, given the forecast has been so consistently good for this year over the past two weeks, the fact it's turning a bit now would have been a pretty bitter pill to swallow (bit like 2015). 

Everyone is gutted to be missing Glastonbury, for many it’s the highlight of their year and with this one being a particularly shit year the loss is even greater.

I think it’s perfectly understandable for some to want it to rain over what would’ve been this years festival, torrential downpours every day may make it easier for some to cope with the situation, it’s really just human nature. I know I felt particularly miserable waking up on Monday to glorious sunshine, thinking about the week ahead and if it rained every day this week it would make me feel better about not being there.

It may be irrational, and not how weather works, but when all is said and done nobody can control the weather and regardless of what anybody wishes for it won’t have any impact on what actually happens! So it’s probably not worth getting worked up about it. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

Chances of showers look pretty low and the dust would need damped down anyway. There were big clouds of it being kicked up by the vehicles arriving yesterday. Aside from today and tomorrow looking far too effing hot, looks grand to me. Even if all the showers happen, it'd still be fine with a binbag to sit on.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The Wednesday was maybe a bit too hot for some, but I actually love it like that on the Wednesday. Other than that, yeah decent. It did rain a few times but I actually liked 2015 as well. 

I didn’t arrive until Thursday. Saw quite a few lobsters as I arrived on site! 

I saw 30 seconds of rain in 2017, barely notice it. 

Crucially, trainers were work all weekend. 

2015 was pretty wet for parts of Friday wasn’t it?

13 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Is it not kind of a joke....? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

1999, 2003, 2017 - all perfect. Dry, sunny, not too hot, one or two brief showers to keep dust at bay.

Most importantly - trainers all weekend. 

Trainers all weekend without it being so hot that your feet get sweaty is basically the holy grail of festivals 

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

2017 I remember being in the SE corner earlier hours in a vest as it had been so hot that day, and there was this really fine misty rain all of a sudden. Next day temps had dropped by 10 degrees and it was just about perfect the rest of the time.

I remember there being such a small amount of rain that it was still dusty during the rain.  Not even enough to keep the dust down.