The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

2007 was a lot worse than 2016 :( 

97/98, parts of 2005, definitely 2007, 2011 and 2016. Given all the improvements in drainage over the years and use now of wood chip in soft areas I think the site holds up pretty well now. 2016 was killed by all the pre-festival heavy rain and was on a par with 2007 mud wise, but without the constant rain during the festival- so I also vote 2007 for general weather despair 😩 

2 minutes ago, sedra said:

97/98, parts of 2005, definitely 2007, 2011 and 2016. Given all the improvements in drainage over the years and use now of wood chip in soft areas I think the site holds up pretty well now. 2016 was killed by all the pre-festival heavy rain and was on a par with 2007 mud wise, but without the constant rain during the festival- so I also vote 2007 for general weather despair 😩 

2004 also got quite sloppy in parts as it rained on and off all weekend. 

I do wonder what 2016 would have been like without all the pre-festival rain..

Would have been a great weekend weather wise. Hot and sunny for bimbling on Wednesday and Thursday, then some cloud cover for the rest of the time. A little rain with the odd sharp shower but not enough to wear wellies. The ground is still hard. Not too warm this morning for packing up and going home. I’d have been happy with that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Would have been a great weekend weather wise. Hot and sunny for bimbling on Wednesday and Thursday, then some cloud cover for the rest of the time. A little rain with the odd sharp shower but not enough to wear wellies. The ground is still hard. Not too warm this morning for packing up and going home. I’d have been happy with that.

Sounds like 2003 or 2013

8 hours ago, MetaKate said:

There was a year WORSE than 2016? That would definitely test me. 

2016 was my first year so I basically know nothing 😂

I think the site is better prepared now than it ever used to be so I think 2016 is the modern benchmark for a complete shitshow. With all the extra drainage etc I'd be very surprised if we ever saw the likes of 1997 or 2007 again. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Great summing up. It would have been a good one!  By now I would have been hoping I remembered exactly where the car is parked and dragging our stuff out through the gates . Including that bin bag full of damp smelly clothing that goes straight into the machine on return home.  One last look at the festival site then join the queue out! Just 480 miles to drive!  Can’t wait till next year! 

97/98 and 2016 - muddiest to me, but important distinction here - I still think 2007 was the worst, but not for the mud, for the standing water. Thick mud didn't have much chance to develop in many places - cos it just pissed down every day it was basically flooded everywhere so you were just standing in water all the time. This is the year a lot of peeps reported getting trench foot. 2005 was wet yeah, but by late Sat and on Sun it was basically not too bad - obviously muddy in places but just soft under foot in others.

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Windy though?

10 hours ago, MetaKate said:

This is high risk! There's definitely a lot of types of mud between that of 2016 and 2017 that would require wellies! 2014 was obvs waaaay less muddier than 2016, but I wouldn't have been a happy bunny trying to dance about in in Arcadia on Saturday afternoon in trainers. Trust me, I've been there in the past, at other festivals...

11 hours ago, MetaKate said:

In terms of the ones I've been since 2009, the mud was a lot worse in parts in 2011 than 2016.

The mud seemed very deep in 2011 and then the sun come out and started to dry it but it become extremely sticky. I think the area around John Peel become pretty impossible to get through as it just sucked you in. 

Due to the rain in 2016 the mud just stayed around and made everything sluggish but not that impossible to walk in. 

43 minutes ago, Divein said:

In terms of the ones I've been since 2009, the mud was a lot worse in parts in 2011 than 2016.

The mud seemed very deep in 2011 and then the sun come out and started to dry it but it become extremely sticky. I think the area around John Peel become pretty impossible to get through as it just sucked you in. 

Due to the rain in 2016 the mud just stayed around and made everything sluggish but not that impossible to walk in. 

The entry to the Park looked like a wellie graveyard in 2011, there were so many lost boots in that area. 

The whole site looked like this though

2014665587_glastomud.jpg.6034586c88a8c2b575a03bc53cd4483d.jpg