The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

13 minutes ago, nikkic said:

This year has no bearing on next year 

0B2A8E1B-3001-4C3C-8FA3-5295A03EF271.jpeg

I can no longer tell who is genuinely getting this wrong and who thinks it is funny to keep saying it as a wind up. 

25 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

My thinking exactly! If this year is dry again what will that be...5 in a row? odds on 6 predominantly dry late Junes in a row?

Odds on 6 in a row before any of them have happened pretty low odds on 6 in a row after you've had 5 in a row exactly the same as the odds on a one off.*

*Assuming the weather is totally random, given it isn't a run of dry ones may be slightly indicative of a change in the climate making dry Junes more rather than less likely.

Just now, deebeedoobee said:

Currently dry as a bone. No rain as yet.

Of course, this year it’s not your well that matters...! 
Unfortunately I don’t have one... there’s one on the woods near me but it’s notorious for never drying up, hence being called the dropping well. 

24 minutes ago, sedra said:

On the positive side for those planning a mini back garden Glastonbury experience with the BBC etc the weather is looking ok in the South West at least at the moment.......

I thought I'd have at least one night in a tent in the garden. Only problem is that I've moved on from a tent to a caravan.  I've still got an old tent stored somewhere but what state it will be in I'm not sure.  Also my airbed is stored in my caravan which is at a storage site 30 miles from my house and in Wales we are only supposed to travel up to five miles at present, so how I'm going to retrieve it I don't know.

45 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I thought I'd have at least one night in a tent in the garden. Only problem is that I've moved on from a tent to a caravan.  I've still got an old tent stored somewhere but what state it will be in I'm not sure.  Also my airbed is stored in my caravan which is at a storage site 30 miles from my house and in Wales we are only supposed to travel up to five miles at present, so how I'm going to retrieve it I don't know.

Go to the south east corner of your garden, set up your own block 9, at 4am sit in the garden, await the sunrise then have a bacon roll. You won’t need a tent or an air bed 😁!

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Rain went through Pilton.  All clear now

The dry spring should have ensured the water table is quite low.  

As a matter of interest has any work been done on the site such as more hard paths/roadways taking advantage of the cancellation?  I recollect when we walked the site a few days before the Pilton party there was a few guys in a Land Rover going round the site with a clipboard obviously taking note of things. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The dry spring should have ensured the water table is quite low.  

As a matter of interest has any work been done on the site such as more hard paths/roadways taking advantage of the cancellation?  I recollect when we walked the site a few days before the Pilton party there was a few guys in a Land Rover going round the site with a clipboard obviously taking note of things. 

As the farm have asked people to stay away I have not been able to get down to see. However before March they had been laying more drainage etc in various fields. Every year they do something to improve the site. They had started to revamp the spike area. However they hadn't laid the concrete floor when I last went.

As soon as they are happy, I shall be hauling my arse around the site again and will try to stop and get photos. 

• Upvote 1