The Weather Thread 2020

sedra

On 11/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, incident said:

It was fairly average, maybe slightly below. The real damage was mostly the rain in June.

The Weather Thread has been sorely lacking in good, pointless, graphs so far this year, so starting in July 2012 for the 2013 festival (because going back any further makes the graph unreadable):

image.png.cf6c6ca2e8118564b01d7a1152a94852.png

Notes: Year quoted is the Festival year and 12 months lead up, so for example August 2016 is on the 2017 line. Rainfall data is in mm and is from Yeovilton which is about 10 miles south of the site.

Ah man, that line for 2016 climbing up to June is giving me horrendous flashbacks. 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

good to see we've moved on from corona worries to weather worries today ... :) 

Yes, it’s best to worry about something that we are experts in rather than some obscure virus!  

Just heard that bloke, the super infector,  who had the virus is now cured and out of hospital. He’s asked that his privacy is respected and he and his family are left alone. Don’t worry mate , I think that’s a given! 

5 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Have we ever had three hot and dry years in a row? Certainly not since I started going in 2004...

1999-2003 was the last nice and relatively dry streak with four festivals  in a row with decent weather!

It's been 3 hot and dry years in a row (counting the fallow) already though hasn't it? 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:58 PM, MaxPower said:

It's been 3 hot and dry years in a row (counting the fallow) already though hasn't it? 

From what I heard from people who went, I think there was a little rain in one of those 3 years but nothing like 2016, which I saw from photos looked muddy and even pretty cold.

4 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Good news everyone, sun and temperatures around 20 all weekend226674768_Screenshot2020-02-16at21_57_37.png.19044b9994c75cc2f18ba516820cf3a5.png

I mean... that is quite a bit in advance.

Though I presume its unlikely that we're going to get another Storm Ciara/Dennis turn up.

Edited by charlierc

32 minutes ago, charlierc said:

From what I heard from people who went, I think there was a little rain in one of those 3 years but nothing like 2016, which I saw from photos looked muddy and even pretty cold.

I mean... that is quite a bit in advance.

Though I presume its unlikely that we're going to get another Storm Ciara/Dennis turn up.

Well there was certainly nothing in 2019, or in the fallow year. 

By all accounts 2017 was roasting, but not sure if they had a bit of drizzle?

42 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Hmmmm... maybe I was thinking of a different festival. I just thought I heard there'd been a tiny bit of drizzle in one of these, but if I'm mistaken I'm mistaken. Can happen.

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

I THINK I remember one morning of 2017 having a bit of drizzle (maybe Friday morning?) but we're talking like 4am-6am which was not noticeable. 

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Hmmmm... maybe I was thinking of a different festival. I just thought I heard there'd been a tiny bit of drizzle in one of these, but if I'm mistaken I'm mistaken. Can happen.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I THINK I remember one morning of 2017 having a bit of drizzle (maybe Friday morning?) but we're talking like 4am-6am which was not noticeable. 

It was the late Friday evening / early Saturday morning, a few hour nothing heavy. It was welcome to be honest to keep the dust down. I remember, we had a vent open on the roof of the tent that was lodged open because of the way we'd put the tent up, so we had to make a makeshift one out of bags.

5 hours ago, MaxPower said:

2017 was hot on the Wednesday and Thursday. It cooled off a bit on Friday and rained that night after Radiohead finished their set. Then it rained very early morning on Saturday and that was it. But it was enough to keep the temps very nice for the last 2 days. The amount of rain was good to keep the dust away, but not to make it muddy anywhere. Those type of conditions would be pretty ideal for 2020. Dont want a 2019 heat wave.

I know there was at least a burst of rain during waking hours in 2017 because at one point I was stood outside my tent, looking west towards the tor, and it was like I could see the rain moving in suddenly. I dove into my tent and it must have rained for a few minutes, then I got out and it was fine again.

Edited by WestCountryGirl

9 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I know there was at least a burst of rain during waking hours in 2017 because at one point I was stood outside my tent, looking west towards the tor, and it was like I could see the rain moving in suddenly. I dove into my tent and it must have rained for a few minutes, then I got out and it was fine again.

Correct, we had a brief ‘ will we head back to tent for wellies’ moment but the shower stopped and we went for a drink! 

On 11/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, incident said:

It was fairly average, maybe slightly below. The real damage was mostly the rain in June.

The Weather Thread has been sorely lacking in good, pointless, graphs so far this year, so starting in July 2012 for the 2013 festival (because going back any further makes the graph unreadable):

image.png.cf6c6ca2e8118564b01d7a1152a94852.png

Notes: Year quoted is the Festival year and 12 months lead up, so for example August 2016 is on the 2017 line. Rainfall data is in mm and is from Yeovilton which is about 10 miles south of the site.

I've took the data from the same place as yourself and put it into a table to get an idea of where we are, and it's not looking good, we are almost at the same amount of rain fall so far this year as the whole of last year. Let's hope for a dry spring.

The green boxes are the driest year for that month, orange-red the wettest. I've greyed out the fallow years.

Glasorain.png

Edited by dotdash79
low res image

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I figure there is only so much rain we can have in any one year so if we get it all now then it must be a good omen for the summer. Unless corona virus 🦠 cancellation means this thread becomes redundant. The anxiety is there whatever the weather 🙄😂

9 hours ago, sedra said:

Ok so I figure there is only so much rain we can have in any one year so if we get it all now then it must be a good omen for the summer. Unless corona virus 🦠 cancellation means this thread becomes redundant. The anxiety is there whatever the weather 🙄😂

unfortunately, all this rain now is reminiscent of the years with the worst mud. :( 

Edited by eFestivals