Jump to content
DJL

Volunteering 2020

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Why can't Oxfam roll they're priority to 2022 Glastonbury ?

If I could get the time off work I'd volunteer for all the other festivals but that's impossible for me, luckily I can always take annual leave in June as not many people take their leave so early.

Iam gutted because I could've tried to volunteer with other organizations but chose Oxfam again as I really enjoyed it last year. It just seems they've made a decision too quickly without any thought 😭

Why didn't you volunteer to do more festivals with Oxfam to gain priority for next year

As mentioned before in this thread Oxfam have a robust priority system with mutiple ways to gain it , Shelter and WaterAid only work in large numbers at Glastonbury so it is much easier for them admin wise

But what is more of a worry than places not been carried over is the lost/ potential lost income to these charities would have gained, when their services will be needed more than ever this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

But what is more of a worry than places not been carried over is the lost/ potential lost income to these charities would have gained, when their services will be needed more than ever this year

Yep, I'm sure that they've got bigger concerns than the odd person who thinks they should change established procedures for this kind of scenario to suit their individual need. The staff will still be on payroll, so if the season is totally wiped out then the operation loses money.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can never get the time off work other the summer months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, incident said:

Yep, I'm sure that they've got bigger concerns than the odd person who thinks they should change established procedures for this kind of scenario to suit their individual need. The staff will still be on payroll, so if the season is totally wiped out then the operation loses money.

Thanks for the shitty response no need at all. 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gazzared said:

Thanks for the shitty response no need at all. 

It's not a shitty response, it's a very good description of the current situation for Oxfam

You're disappointed, we all are. Despite years of experience, including supervising, I'm not clear on whether I have priority for 2021.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

It's not a shitty response, it's a very good description of the current situation for Oxfam

You're disappointed, we all are. Despite years of experience, including supervising, I'm not clear on whether I have priority for 2021.  

This is the part that's uncalled for "who thinks they should change established procedures for this kind of scenario". This hasn't happened before so their isn't any "established procedures".

surely oxfam keeping my deposit is more helpful to them.  

or why don't they refund most of the deposit but keep a small amount to secure everyone's places ?

Anyway @incident you are correct they have got bigger concerns 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gazzared said:

I can never get the time off work other the summer months.

There were 3 festivals before Glasto that you could of worked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gazzared said:

This hasn't happened before so their isn't any "established procedures".

It has and there is though. They've had festivals cancel before (or pull out of the contract with them), and they applied the same procedure they're following now - for priority purposes, treat everyone who was signed up as if they worked the festival.

Albeit I don't think they've ever lost more than 2 in a single season before, but I don't see that they can really account for that - especially at this stage when they just don't know what's going to happen overall. If they tried to do anything different, it'd just get far too complicated especially when it comes to people who qualify under a rule other than 2 in the previous year.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But they do have  established procedures. It's not the exact scenario, true, as Glastonbury is the main reason (but not only reason) that people get priority but other festivals have cancelled before

The problem with carrying places over is that there'll be no (or very few) places available for Glastonbury 2021, and that's a big recruiting tool for the other festivals they steward at

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

There were 3 festivals before Glasto that you could of worked

Iam sorry but you don't know how my shift patterns and annual leave days work 🙂

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gazzared said:

Why can't Oxfam roll they're priority to 2022 Glastonbury ?

If I could get the time off work I'd volunteer for all the other festivals but that's impossible for me, luckily I can always take annual leave in June as not many people take their leave so early.

Iam gutted because I could've tried to volunteer with other organizations but chose Oxfam again as I really enjoyed it last year. It just seems they've made a decision too quickly without any thought 😭

 

4 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Iam sorry but you don't know how my shift patterns and annual leave days work 🙂

you're right I don't , 😁😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

 

you're right I don't , 😁😉

I have to book my annual leave the previous year in September and none of the other work colleagues are interested in going Glastonbury , they block book all the weeks in July and August. 

 

 

Edited by gazzared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I have to book my annual leave the previous year in September and none of the other work colleagues are interested in going Glastonbury , they block book all the weeks in July and August. 

 

 

As I have already pointed out to you there were 3 festivals before Glasto that you could of worked in June, and 2 in September

but your sence of self entitlement is really showing ☹️

Edited by DeadAmos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

As I have already pointed out to you there were 3 festivals before Glasto that you could of worked in June,

but your sence of self entitlement is really showing ☹️

If I could get time off for all the festivals I would volunteer for every single one but it's impossible.

I have to take :-

1 whole week Spring Jan - Apr

2 weeks together may - aug

1 whole week Sept - Dec

Edited by gazzared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

Why do I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall

 

I don't know how to explain it any other way but I'll try .

My first summer week annual leave is used volunteering or going Glastonbury which goes into my second weeks annual leave....I can't split the weeks up so my 2 weeks summer leave is used for Glastonbury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I don't know how to explain it any other way but I'll try .

My first summer week annual leave is used volunteering or going Glastonbury which goes into my second weeks annual leave....I can't split the weeks up so my 2 weeks summer leave is used for Glastonbury. 

I see now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, philipsteak said:

It's not a shitty response, it's a very good description of the current situation for Oxfam

You're disappointed, we all are. Despite years of experience, including supervising, I'm not clear on whether I have priority for 2021.  

I’ve seen this on the Oxfam Facebook group over the last few days. Same old theme... why oh why can’t the rules be changed to suit what benefits me me me. Forget that it’s a charity, forget that the team are under the cosh, forget that they have a way of working that was explained when you signed up (if you bothered to read the terms).  
People’s motivations for volunteering are irrelevant - as long as you do a good job who cares. But the attitude on the Facebook group is so self centred I wonder if they even care that it’s a charity or if there is a pandemic. As long as they get their ‘ticket’.

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, March Hare said:

I’ve seen this on the Oxfam Facebook group over the last few days. Same old theme... why oh why can’t the rules be changed to suit what benefits me me me. Forget that it’s a charity, forget that the team are under the cosh, forget that they have a way of working that was explained when you signed up (if you bothered to read the terms).  
People’s motivations for volunteering are irrelevant - as long as you do a good job who cares. But the attitude on the Facebook group is so self centred I wonder if they even care that it’s a charity or if there is a pandemic. As long as they get their ‘ticket’.

I would've thought oxfam keeping the deposits until next September would help them alot more than handing them all back now ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I would've thought oxfam keeping the deposits until next September would help them alot more than handing them all back now ? 

It might, but they already explained in a post that some people wouldn't be able to afford to do that so wouldn't be fair to penalise people for that reason. I would be able to afford it, I also agree with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, March Hare said:

I’ve seen this on the Oxfam Facebook group over the last few days. Same old theme... why oh why can’t the rules be changed to suit what benefits me me me. Forget that it’s a charity, forget that the team are under the cosh, forget that they have a way of working that was explained when you signed up (if you bothered to read the terms).  
People’s motivations for volunteering are irrelevant - as long as you do a good job who cares. But the attitude on the Facebook group is so self centred I wonder if they even care that it’s a charity or if there is a pandemic. As long as they get their ‘ticket’.

The shitstorm when they changed the priority rules a few years ago was just as bad

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

It might, but they already explained in a post that some people wouldn't be able to afford to do that so wouldn't be fair to penalise people for that reason. I would be able to afford it, I also agree with them

Yeah I completely understand but if they could given volunteers the option of the amount they wanted to remain as their deposit then that would've been brilliant. Anyway it's done now just seemed like a decision that didn't need to be made so quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gazzared said:

Yeah I completely understand but if they could given volunteers the option of the amount they wanted to remain as their deposit then that would've been brilliant. Anyway it's done now just seemed like a decision that didn't need to be made so quickly.

Maybe but they were receiving a contonuous torrent of questions on Facebook and on their website. They had to act quickly. This was my first year of volunteering with them so I'm gutted obviously. All they are doing is sticking to their own rules

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for reference on Festaff, if you are on the waiting list you are getting your deposit back and will have to reapply next I'm not sure about those who were booked in, not heard yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone applied for Green Crafts I have had a reply about my application.  It just says the festival is cancelled, wishes everyone the best, thank you for applying and keep an eye on their instagram and Facebook for future events.  I will look out for this one next year x 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...