Volunteering 2020

DJL

Hi Guys,

I am sorry for being on a downer yesterday and cantankerous.  Having one of those weeks and a bit stressed.

Whichever volunteering you do, make the most of it.  I cant believe how at ease i was clearing people's shite off long drops.  It was a breeze when i looked at the positives that the whole package brought.

Needless to say, i am hopefully back there this year doing more of the same.

What i would say about the face to face training is although it is a hassle for some, it gives your sponsor organisation a chance to meet you pre-event and get "eyes on" also the chance to meet your colleagues.  This can be invaluable.  I thought it was worth it as i walked into the building for the training and met a lad I know from back home in Urmston.  Neither of us had a clue that the other was also volunteering.

We set up comm's on WhatsApp and coordinated travel plans down on the Monday before and got pissed In Glastonbury town on the Monday, camped at Paddington Farm Monday night and headed to the festival together in a shared cab on Tuesday.  We camped next to each other and got wrecked together.  This all happened because we attended the training.  I can honestly say that the Monday to Wednesday of the volunteering week before everyone arrives was fantastic.

If I had not gone to the training, its quite possible i would not have been sat on the Tor taking pictures like this on the Monday night with (would you believe) only 6 other people.

Turn any Perceived negative into a positive.  Its how i take each day..

IMG_20190624_213128.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

Hi Guys,

I am sorry for being on a downer yesterday and cantankerous.  Having one of those weeks and a bit stressed.

Whichever volunteering you do, make the most of it.  I cant believe how at ease i was clearing people's shite off long drops.  It was a breeze when i looked at the positives that the whole package brought.

Needless to say, i am hopefully back there this year doing more of the same.

What i would say about the face to face training is although it is a hassle for some, it gives your sponsor organisation a chance to meet you pre-event and get "eyes on" also the chance to meet your colleagues.  This can be invaluable.  I thought it was worth it as i walked into the building for the training and met a lad I know from back home in Urmston.  Neither of us had a clue that the other was also volunteering.

We set up comm's on WhatsApp and coordinated travel plans down on the Monday before and got pissed In Glastonbury town on the Monday, camped at Paddington Farm Monday night and headed to the festival together in a shared cab on Tuesday.  We camped next to each other and got wrecked together.  This all happened because we attended the training.  I can honestly say that the Monday to Wednesday of the volunteering week before everyone arrives was fantastic.

If I had not gone to the training, its quite possible i would not have been sat on the Tor taking pictures like this on the Monday night with (would you believe) only 6 other people.

Turn any Perceived negative into a positive.  Its how i take each day..

IMG_20190624_213128.jpg

beautiful :) and the views not bad either :) 

Hi mate, I'm not sure about numbers of applications if I'm honest but you have to be in to win.

I think last year they took over 600 volunteers. They do seem to have quite a few drop out when they are assigned Loo Crew so apply and stick with it for the long haul.

I think it will be tougher this year as there seems to a Papable sense or desperation in the air more than I recall in the past..

• Upvote 1

You need to tap into some of the "Oxfam Experts" on here as we get nearer. I think the drop out rates were high last year and it got to the stage where they were taking on folk a couple of days before.

Flexibility Is the key. I had the crack with a chap at the stone circle who was flexible and Oxfam asked if he could get down there the weekend before on car parking etc.

He got his last shift out of the way on the Wednesday that most people arrived which is obviously mint.

I'm sure he said he was in a camper and got his wife and kids in on some chicanery also.

Glastonbury is massive. There are always angle's.. always.. just keep monitoring and checking here for updates..it's the Glastonbury oracle

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

A good friend ?

Not really to be honest.

He/she/they would love Glasto but would be searching for K the whole time, would only appreciate Sub Focus and Dimension, is useless at picking up the phone & I can’t be bothered with that.

edit: let’s just say I wouldn’t take *** into battle with me or even trust him with a gun.

Edited by Bisque

3 minutes ago, March Hare said:

It’s short term thinking. Volunteering is a plan b for years to come. Once you’re blacklisted none of the volunteering organisations will let you in. What to do the next time you miss out of tickets?

More importantly its selfish and goes against everything that Glastonbury stands for, as much now as ever!

3 minutes ago, zico martin said:

More importantly its selfish and goes against everything that Glastonbury stands for, as much now as ever!

My guess is neither of these points carry any weight with someone like that.
Pictures do get circulated so it’s a weekend looking over your shoulder.

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

A friend wants to volunteer to get a ticket & not do his shifts.

I said it won’t work & he/she will have their wristband cut.

Someone I know, friend of a friend, asked a similar question. Lost all respect for the person. I was really disappointed that they would even consider it as I thought (wrongly) that they were decent. We’re talking about charities fundraising work. Massively selfish thinking.

Ive got mates who want to volunteer but could miss out because of people like that.

Ffs you’ve got me started now! 

Edited by March Hare

16 hours ago, zico martin said:

How likely is it then I'll be successful applying for water aid? I mean like how many apply for how many places?

Wateraid isn’t first come first served on places, so as long as you research athe charity and do a good application your chances are very high IMO.

They do it in phases so if you don’t get in the first round, they wait for all the rejections or everyone who doesn’t want loocrew and then send the ‘second choice’ applicants an offer. Think it’s 10 days to accept an offer so stick in there. 

Lots more Volunteering positions mysteriously have availability again after the ticket resale so don’t quit until the end. 

19 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

You need to tap into some of the "Oxfam Experts" on here as we get nearer. I think the drop out rates were high last year and it got to the stage where they were taking on folk a couple of days before.

Flexibility Is the key. I had the crack with a chap at the stone circle who was flexible and Oxfam asked if he could get down there the weekend before on car parking etc.

Lots of dropouts, as the initial volunteer application date (Feb 4th) is before the resale date (April 6th / 15th ish?), and so people have to execute their plan B before plan A is available...

And then there's the people who can't make it for other reasons, often at the last minute, who drop out and need to be replaced, which is probably what happened to the bloke you spoke to. 

3 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Wateraid isn’t first come first served on places, so as long as you research athe charity and do a good application your chances are very high IMO.

They do it in phases so if you don’t get in the first round, they wait for all the rejections or everyone who doesn’t want loocrew and then send the ‘second choice’ applicants an offer. Think it’s 10 days to accept an offer so stick in there. 

Lots more Volunteering positions mysteriously have availability again after the ticket resale so don’t quit until the end. 

Thanks Johno, not really confident that my application will be good enough as I was thinking it was more pot luck whether I get selected or not tbh. Perhaps I need to make more effort with the next ones ( festaff and oxfam)!

2 hours ago, jaimebionic said:

Has anyone who isn't a veteran heard from Fiona about recycling yet? I have done it twice with a break in between and hoping to do it again this year. Just wondering how low down on the pecking order I'm going to be. 

She normally sorts the vets out first so they know how many spaces are left & then work through the balance of the applications, previous first & then newbies. My guess is any time from now to mid Feb.

Has anyone who isn't a veteran heard from Fiona about recycling yet? I have done it twice with a break in between and hoping to do it again this year. Just wondering how low down on the pecking order I'm going to be. 

I heard 3/4 days ago. See if you can check your junk mail because thats where mine was.

Just now, marathonsteve said:

I heard 3/4 days ago. See if you can check your junk mail because thats where mine was.

They did post thats she has a mountain of applications to get though as well as 1200 emails in addition.

3 hours ago, jaimebionic said:

Come to think of it Log onto the crew website to see if your application has been completed then you will know.