Volunteering 2020

DJL

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Glasto mad ... Dont know what you are talking about :) we've done 13 together ... just Glastonburys ... I think id go on my own although it would be out of my comfort zone a little ... I wear the fancy dress to help me chat to different people as sometimes im a bit awkward at creating conversation ... so yes it would be good for me ... thanks plenty to ponder and great advice as ever 

I've never volunteered (until this year hopefully) but I did start going solo a few years back and it was the best thing I ever did. Joined up with a solo group of like-minded individuals from all walks of life and of all ages, all totally inclusive (fancy dress the norm too). Plus I could also go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted, if I wanted to without having to check if someone else fancied doing it first. Made friends for life and a multitude of experiences that would not have happened if I'd been with mates/partners.

Do it if you have to. I mean...what's the worst that could happen?! :)

1 minute ago, Gilb said:

I've never volunteered (until this year hopefully) but I did start going solo a few years back and it was the best thing I ever did. Joined up with a solo group of like-minded individuals from all walks of life and of all ages, all totally inclusive (fancy dress the norm too). Plus I could also go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted, if I wanted to without having to check if someone else fancied doing it first. Made friends for life and a multitude of experiences that would not have happened if I'd been with mates/partners.

going with my friend we happily do our own thing anyway ... no restrictions there ... and ive some is ready earlier we have standard meeting places at most stages we've been doing it so long ... and im pretty obvious :) .... 

22 minutes ago, Gilb said:

I agree.  

It’s nice to have a big group too but it’s hard to please everyone if there’s too much of a pack mentality... not to mention the amount of unsynchronised toilet and bar stops taking up all the time 🙂 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I agree.  

It’s nice to have a big group too but it’s hard to please everyone if there’s too much of a pack mentality... not to mention the amount of unsynchronised toilet and bar stops taking up all the time 🙂 

absolutely ... thats why we are a 2 now :) we know when and where the other is going and we are always ready to go in good time ... we agree a time to be ready to make a move and if the other person isn't ready we meet at the stages ... we walk past a urinal we both make use of it ... one of the rules of the festival and never walk past a tap that has a minimal / no queue either 

10 hours ago, Havors said:

Wateraid seems a bit wishy washy (pardon the pun haha).... had lots of friends saying its almost impossible to get a spot that is not cleaning toilets. 

If you're a first-timer you are almost certainly going to be cleaning toilets. That said, if you are female you stand a very high chance of getting a she-pee slot as they increase the numbers of she-pees on site. A female friend of mine got she-pees last year and it was her first time. The job is basically showing people how to use to them I think and a lot of sitting around - it sounded much more laid-back than our cleaning shifts. 

On 1/4/2020 at 12:48 AM, sirjonnyp said:

If you're a first-timer you are almost certainly going to be cleaning toilets. That said, if you are female you stand a very high chance of getting a she-pee slot as they increase the numbers of she-pees on site. A female friend of mine got she-pees last year and it was her first time. The job is basically showing people how to use to them I think and a lot of sitting around - it sounded much more laid-back than our cleaning shifts. 

Out of curiosity, do they assign jobs on arrival or are there different jobs to apply for?

42 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Out of curiosity, do they assign jobs on arrival or are there different jobs to apply for?

Roles are assigned when you go to the training day, about three weeks beforehand. Apologies for the following grumble.

The training (half)day itself is utterly unessential and that information (all about WA and safeguarding) could be delivered onsite within an hour of you getting there or online, like Oxfam do. It was quite frustrating for me as I had to go awol from and risk disciplinary action in my job to make it to a training day session as WA told me that I had to be at one and would not be able to get my ticket without attending, only to find that I could have sent a friend as they didn't photo ID me for my ticket (I understand others were photo ID-ed though). There are only about seven or eight sessions around the country, doubly frustrating for those in the sticks. Triply frustrating was that we met people who had got last minute spots and had not done any training in advance, just their ticket on the gate. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks @sirjonnyp , yeah, that’s doesn’t make much sense. The Oxfam set up works pretty well with general training (that I did online) and site specific briefings the evening before each festival kicks off. Gets you together if nothing else (obvs done in different time slots at Glasto due to numbers). 

Edited by March Hare

55 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If you've got that old time religion, The Sanctuary Marquee is looking for volunteers. 

The Sanctuary Marquee is looking for volunteers to join their team at Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary in June

The Church Tent at Glastonbury Festival – also known as The Sanctuary Marquee – has opened its applications for volunteers who would like to join their team at Glastonbury 2020.

Consisting of a fairly small team of volunteers, made up of people from Somerset and the adjoining counties who want to serve God by serving the Festival; The Church Tent works 24-hours-a-day – open for the duration of the event – in organised shifts, to provide ‘sanctuary’ for the festival-goers and site staff while offering a warm welcome, space to reflect and a willingness to listen.

During the day, creative activities such as face painting, karaoke and acts of worship take place – as well as providing somewhere to shelter from the weather elements, be it rain, mud, sun or dust.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:34 PM, marathonsteve said:

The Sanctuary Marquee is looking for volunteers to join their team at Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary in June

The Church Tent at Glastonbury Festival – also known as The Sanctuary Marquee – has opened its applications for volunteers who would like to join their team at Glastonbury 2020.

Consisting of a fairly small team of volunteers, made up of people from Somerset and the adjoining counties who want to serve God by serving the Festival; The Church Tent works 24-hours-a-day – open for the duration of the event – in organised shifts, to provide ‘sanctuary’ for the festival-goers and site staff while offering a warm welcome, space to reflect and a willingness to listen.

During the day, creative activities such as face painting, karaoke and acts of worship take place – as well as providing somewhere to shelter from the weather elements, be it rain, mud, sun or dust.

I think this is one step too far for me! 

On 1/4/2020 at 12:48 AM, sirjonnyp said:

My Mrs used one of these last year, said everyone was having a right giggle in there. Seems like it would be a fun place to work, except for the fact you are in a toilet of course.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:53 AM, March Hare said:

We got offered a specific job role when we found out we were successful. 

When you apply you can select which jobs you will do (I selected everything apart from loo crew) and they still offered me loo crew! I declined as it was 4x6hr shifts instead of 3x8.

wateraid really struggle to attract people for loo crew and are heavily over subscribed in the less undesireable jobs so all first timers get loo crew. 

the deposit is only £50, so they suffered from a lot of skiving too, my mate still did it (loo crew not skiving) and said it was alright, just a spray and a mop around. But could be awful in bad weather. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

wateraid really struggle to attract people for loo crew and are heavily over subscribed in the less undesireable jobs so all first timers get loo crew. 

Not sure how true that is, I think they had a lot of people on the waiting list after the first and second round of drop outs. I'm sure there were people on here and on the facebook page that were checking in with them desperately in the build up. 

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

the deposit is only £50, so they suffered from a lot of skiving too, my mate still did it (loo crew not skiving) and said it was alright, just a spray and a mop around. But could be awful in bad weather. 

I think I would prefer the bad weather - a lot of elbow grease went into scraping and wiping off burned on poop last year :D The rain would also drive more people into the compostables, which aren't WA. 

On 1/3/2020 at 12:21 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Can anyone tell me what the oxfam process is like on the day ?The 4th  Do you register as a group ? Or just as individuals stating thAat you want the same shift pattern ? Is it a rush type situation to get details submitted ? 

Sorry if it is earlier in the thread, but do we know it's the 4th?