Volunteering 2020

DJL

36 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I have just checked and only Campaign or Shop are now available at all the festivals shown in @gazzared 's post. It's worth checking regularly as places may become available due to cancellations. 

Thanks, I'll keep a look out but it appears that all the steward ones have gone for now. 

Oxfam have posted a comment on their original Cancellation post in the Oxfam Festivals Chat Facebook group saying that they won't be rolling over places ☹️

The message is a bit confusing, and says at the end "we have decided that the fairest thing to do is honour anyone's current place at Glastonbury as part of our existing priority system. You can read more about our priority rules in our FAQs" but it isn't really obvious what that means. It could mean that, even if you were only doing Glasto this year, you go into priority for next year, but various people have suggested it doesn't mean that. If it doesn't mean that, though, I'm not really sure in what way people only doing Glasto are having their current places honoured.

Edited by stuartasmith85

Oxfam have contacted me regarding my campaigning slot . As they negotiate year on year with the festival on how many campaigners they provide, the number next year may differ from this. For this reason they can’t roll over the offer to next years festival.

I do get a priority for next year as the campaigning roll required a second festival application.

I do understand Oxfam's logic (essentially, that people who were geared up to do two this year in order to get priority next year shouldn't lose out), I think the issue with that is that it's a bit premature to have made the decision - if, as seems perfectly possible at this stage, none of the Oxfam supported festivals can take place this year, then you could just roll everything over to next year without really affecting anyone.

If no festivals happen this Summer, then their current plan means the people who volunteered for two this year but obviously didn't end up doing either are the only people with an advantage next year, even over people who did two last year.

from wateraid - this isn't clear if i have got a place or not, or if this email went to everyone 

You may have seen the sad news that Glastonbury 2020 has been cancelled. The event will return in 2021. You can read the festival statement here. 

Our intention is to honour all 2020 volunteer applications for Glastonbury 2021. However, there's a lot of work we need to do on this and we will confirm full details when we have them. 

If you have applied to volunteer with WaterAid at other 2020 festivals, we will be in touch with an update soon. 

Be interesting to see what happens with non standard priority for Oxfam. Id be qualifying for 2021 through the supervisor route (supervisor for the 2 previous years). I ticked the box to say I would supervise this year but I suppose it's not definitely confirmed until just before so as it stands now, technicaly I'm not a supervisor (if you see what I mean). 

I still don't get it , why don't they give us the option of choosing. I'd be happy for them to keep my deposit for next year and Iam sure they'll require even more stewards etc etc for 2021 than they had planned for this year.

Edited by gazzared

Their argument is that, if people are down to do two festivals this year, they should get priority over people that weren't in the usual way. Which I can totally understand, if those people actually end up working any festivals.

But if, as is surely possible at this stage, no festivals happen and no-one works, it seems like the better thing would just be to treat this year as a write-off and move everything across to next year.

41 minutes ago, e_p said:

from wateraid - this isn't clear if i have got a place or not, or if this email went to everyone 

You may have seen the sad news that Glastonbury 2020 has been cancelled. The event will return in 2021. You can read the festival statement here. 

Our intention is to honour all 2020 volunteer applications for Glastonbury 2021. However, there's a lot of work we need to do on this and we will confirm full details when we have them. 

If you have applied to volunteer with WaterAid at other 2020 festivals, we will be in touch with an update soon. 

Not that it helps much but I got the email and haven’t been offered a place yet. 
Charm x

2 minutes ago, stuartasmith85 said:

Their argument is that, if people are down to do two festivals this year, they should get priority over people that weren't in the usual way. Which I can totally understand, if those people actually end up working any festivals.

But if, as is surely possible at this stage, no festivals happen and no-one works, it seems like the better thing would just be to treat this year as a write-off and move everything across to next year.

I would be surprised if the likes of Leeds doesnt go ahead.... the lock downs will be lifted by then. They have to be or the country will collapse....  

34 minutes ago, stuartasmith85 said:

No, because the priority system has a lot more to it than you're accounting for.

I (and others) qualify by each of the (off the top of my head) 4 criteria, but there's some who'll qualify under the "10 in 10" rule but not "2 in the previous year"

It's a well established system and what's fair is to be consistent not just with the system but with precedent and with what happens regarding other festivals, which they have been. Last year, the people who were down to work Boardmasters were literally at the festival site and ready to go when it got cancelled. People who were down to work only Glastonbury certainly shouldn't be treated any better than they were.

Whereas Shelter, WaterAid pretty much are Glastonbury-only organisations, and so they don't need to factor in that kind of thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, incident said:

No, because the priority system has a lot more to it than you're accounting for.

I (and others) qualify by each of the (off the top of my head) 4 criteria, but there's some who'll qualify under the "10 in 10" rule but not "2 in the previous year"

It's a well established system and what's fair is to be consistent not just with the system but with precedent and with what happens regarding other festivals, which they have been. Last year, the people who were down to work Boardmasters were literally at the festival site and ready to go when it got cancelled. People who were down to work only Glastonbury certainly shouldn't be treated any better than they were.

Whereas Shelter, WaterAid pretty much are Glastonbury-only organisations, and so they don't need to factor in that kind of thing.

Well put

45 minutes ago, incident said:

That makes perfect sense, and they should obviously follow their existing practice if that's the approach they always take. 

I’ve also had the Water Aid email but not sure what means either.

I’m in a really strange situation at the mo. I hedged my bets with Oxfam when I didn’t get a campaigner spot and booked up a second to get 2021 priority, this was before I got my Festaff spot as well and I was doing three for them so would be guaranteed a Glasto 21 spot via them as well!

As I said above, the WA thing is confusing and might mean I have three spots for next year! 

At least that means two for others back in the pot!

7 hours ago, stuartasmith85 said:

You'd hope that when they've a chance to properly sit down and think it all through this will all get sorted, with some sort of special exemptions for 2020. 

Can't see that happening until September though. 

15 hours ago, incident said:

Why can't Oxfam roll they're priority to 2022 Glastonbury ?

If I could get the time off work I'd volunteer for all the other festivals but that's impossible for me, luckily I can always take annual leave in June as not many people take their leave so early.

Iam gutted because I could've tried to volunteer with other organizations but chose Oxfam again as I really enjoyed it last year. It just seems they've made a decision too quickly without any thought 😭