Volunteering 2020

DJL

29 minutes ago, Charm said:

Thanks lovely. They camp in the Dragon Field next to the Craft Village and you can drive into the site to drop your stuff off. Can also turn up from the Sunday, which would be brilliant.  
Charm x

Absolutely perfect - And if you get in defo take the opportunity to arrive on the Sunday, as then you have pre festival to wander, watch the site literally come alive, meet your fellow volunteers and see what the scoop is for other years - not forgetting the crew bars are open by then :-)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I really enjoyed the work itself, my mate and I had an absolute hoot logging the different types of deposits that we found on our toilets :D I had a few issues with the organisation of it (did you notice how there was no hand sanitiser* for the toilets site-wide for 48 hours?!) and the pre-festival training that I've logged earlier in this thread and in last year's thread, but the further I get down the line the more I look back on it with rose-tinted glasses.

WA is a truly worthy organisation and there are a lot of perks that come with the job. I would happily do it again every year but I live on the other side of the world now so wouldn't be able to do it again due to not being able to attend training. I'm in the fortunate position that I have punter ticket this year though. We shared a base with @JayPee , he's also got very positive things to say about the role and I know has applied again this year.

* I would hope that WA/the festival have stocked in advance this year given the current situation.

PM me if you want to have some warts and all insight into the WA experience.  I am not big on social media and am wary of posting loads on here as my gripes may not be a true reflection of the WA organization.  It may be to do with the fact that I got in at 4 am and was staring at a long drop wearing marigolds at 6:30 am feeling like Capt Willard.  As sir Jonny has mentioned, we had a blast and actually worked really closely.  We shared a container of assorted cleaning products.... heady heady days..

I loved it to be honest.  There are things that could have been done better but isn't there always?   Camping in Toms Field is so ace.

As I said further up this thread, go into everything with an open mind and commit to it.  Its a life mantra.

There are people who get pad a pittance to clean toilets all day and every day.

There are people globally who would consider themselves extremely fortunate to have a functioning toilet on their doorstep.  A Glastonbury long drop would be considered luxury.

It does a relatively entitled westerner some good to connect with the shitty end of the stick every now and then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, sime said:

I have mine too... Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, Sweet_pea said:

Apologies, It was March, not April

1 hour ago, 4519dennis said:

Is that an email from Fest Staff - haven't received? Hopefully will come soon.

4 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

^ I got mine about 1pm, I thought 'wow that was a quick decision' lol! Mind you, end of March isn't too long! 

Have you guys uploaded CV’s? 

I’ve uploaded pic and completed all of the profile with relevant information and been accepted for APE with that profile but didn’t know if it’s worth uploading CV.

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

PM me if you want to have some warts and all insight into the WA experience.  I am not big on social media and am wary of posting loads on here as my gripes may not be a true reflection of the WA organization.  It may be to do with the fact that I got in at 4 am and was staring at a long drop wearing marigolds at 6:30 am feeling like Capt Willard.  As sir Jonny has mentioned, we had a blast and actually worked really closely.  We shared a container of assorted cleaning products.... heady heady days..

I loved it to be honest.  There are things that could have been done better but isn't there always?   Camping in Toms Field is so ace.

As I said further up this thread, go into everything with an open mind and commit to it.  Its a life mantra.

There are people who get pad a pittance to clean toilets all day and every day.

There are people globally who would consider themselves extremely fortunate to have a functioning toilet on their doorstep.  A Glastonbury long drop would be considered luxury.

It does a relatively entitled westerner some good to connect with the shitty end of the stick every now and then.

Thanks. I remember reading your post up thread and do try to follow the "try everything once" mantra. I think I can cope with the shit but am wondering if I am being naive! I don't know that I will be offered work with WA but have been offered poo crew work which I imagine won't be very different. I really need to look into the pros and cons of that vs shelter when I get back from holiday next week. 

7 hours ago, Charm said:

Thanks lovely. They camp in the Dragon Field next to the Craft Village and you can drive into the site to drop your stuff off. Can also turn up from the Sunday, which would be brilliant.  
Charm x

Of course I'd settle for anything but if I could choose this is who I would like to volunteer for. Am hoping the application form, passport photos and postage put people off 🤞

20 minutes ago, DJL said:

Of course I'd settle for anything but if I could choose this is who I would like to volunteer for. Am hoping the application form, passport photos and postage put people off 🤞

Sure it will be a good gig, 4 hours a day won’t feel like work at all. Think you are right about the application process putting people off, it was a bit much. Wishing you lots of luck. 

Charm x

5 minutes ago, Charm said:

Sure it will be a good gig, 4 hours a day won’t feel like work at all. Think you are right about the application process putting people off, it was a bit much. Wishing you lots of luck. 

Charm x

I'm hoping this also, we didn't spot it until last minute, I'm hoping the 12£ on postage and 12£ on photos we spent will reap rewards, if not I will have to spend alot more on mallets cider

16 minutes ago, Charm said:

Charm x

Likewise. If I don't get a place I hope someone else on here does 😊

57 minutes ago, DJL said:

Out of all the roles I’ve applied for I’d love to get the green crafts one too, I’ve got very fond memories of camping in the dragon field for many years before it became crew camping, it felt like home and the craft field was the first and last thing I saw of Glastonbury every day and  It was my little oasis of calm. I’d love to be back there and the shifts sound great.

11 hours ago, Sweet_pea said:

I have my daily rotation 🙂 

Oxfam website is the first thing I check upon waking 🙂

I still have my Oxfam page-checker macro running throughout every day. No bites yet as it's still offering shop only but if that changes I should get an instant alert.

If anyone wants to join in let me know. 

19 hours ago, Gilb said:

I still have my Oxfam page-checker macro running throughout every day. No bites yet as it's still offering shop only but if that changes I should get an instant alert.

Yeah, If you could go ahead and disable that so that my friend can get a spot, that would be great....... :D 

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Gilb said:

I would like to join in, but have very little tech knowledge and only a phone. Is this possible?