Volunteering 2020

DJL

20 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Had an email from Shelter confirming my slot! Now need to decide between that and Poo Crew.  Advantages and disadvantages to both so it's a dilemma. Poo crew seem a nice bunch on fb but well it's toilets. More hours but guaranteed day off during festival. And can drive there with booze. Shelter harder work unknown days and have to get the bus - what about booze? Hmm. 

Congrats! Was that because they didn’t have you down as pre registered or the waiting list situation I’m in? Hoping I’ll get an email or call from them before end of March my friend got a space and is holding out to cancel before the cut off incase I get a spot 😂

2 minutes ago, Kats1891 said:

Congrats! Was that because they didn’t have you down as pre registered or the waiting list situation I’m in? Hoping I’ll get an email or call from them before end of March my friend got a space and is holding out to cancel before the cut off incase I get a spot 😂

That does raise the very real prospect that your friend cancels, 5 minutes later they call to offer you their place?

2 minutes ago, incident said:

That does raise the very real prospect that your friend cancels, 5 minutes later they call to offer you their place?

I know :( if only they had honoured my spot when they emailed me at 10:03 to confirm my space was just unlucky with their system crashing but my friend doesn't want to do it alone I might have to just go without her though if they offer me a spot (would be super cruel of me though haha) 

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Had an email from Shelter confirming my slot! Now need to decide between that and Poo Crew.  Advantages and disadvantages to both so it's a dilemma. Poo crew seem a nice bunch on fb but well it's toilets. More hours but guaranteed day off during festival. And can drive there with booze. Shelter harder work unknown days and have to get the bus - what about booze? Hmm. 

2015 I did  Thursday 11-7pm  Friday 7-3am and Sunday 11-7pm

Was on the Craft Cider Bars apart from Half a shift in the Park Bar which was very Busy.  

Great showers.  OK food (though tended just to get a large breakfast)   Camp is quiet just outside the gate.  Enjoyed it though hard days. And currently back in for this year.

My major gripe was coach from Sheffield that arrived so late on a tuesday night that the tent was put up in the dark. Hopefully they have an earlier set off time this year

3 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Was on the Craft Cider Bars apart from Half a shift in the Park Bar which was very Busy.  

Great showers.  OK food (though tended just to get a large breakfast)   Camp is quiet just outside the gate.  Enjoyed it though hard days. And currently back in for this year.

My major gripe was coach from Sheffield that arrived so late on a tuesday night that the tent was put up in the dark. Hopefully they have an earlier set off time this year

Are there any other (non-public) gates that Shelter vols can use or is it just Gate C ? 

35 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Have to disagree with you there. It's right next door to the late night areas! And don't camp near the loos as they send the hoovers in at about 6am (just as the SEC has stopped pumping out its bass). Take ear plugs.

30 minutes ago, sinhala said:

Are there any other (non-public) gates that Shelter vols can use or is it just Gate C ? 

Your EPO band should work at any gate. Be warned that they shut Gate C early on Tuesday night.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:31 PM, Beerqueen said:

I haven't heard anything from Shelter regarding them withdrawing my space as they thought I wasn't pre-registered.  But I've got my Poo Crew space confirmed and they say they will invoice me in March to pay my deposit so all's well(ish).  I don't know for sure that I would have chosen Shelter over Poo Crew as although bar work is more sociable etc I do think there's a danger of being rotaed every day of the festival whereas Poo Crew guarantee a day off over Fri-Sun.  As I say, I don't know which I'd've chosen but I wish I knew whether I had the choice to make!

Did oyu get an initial email confirmation when you submitted your form to poo crew? I did last week whichever day the Shelter debacle was. I wouldn't necessarily have expected to have heard yet... but often you get a confirmation of interest auto-email and I'm worried I put my address in wrong or something (paranoid at this stage!)

On 2/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, Kats1891 said:

Thanks Amy I asked how the wait list works they go off whoever replied first asking to be on the waitlist 🙄I replied the next day great! Oxfam isn’t giving me much hope either I feel like no one will drop out this year 

Gah, I replied the next day too, it;s not looking good

34 minutes ago, DJL said:

Did oyu get an initial email confirmation when you submitted your form to poo crew? I did last week whichever day the Shelter debacle was. I wouldn't necessarily have expected to have heard yet... but often you get a confirmation of interest auto-email and I'm worried I put my address in wrong or something (paranoid at this stage!)

To be honest I can't remember when I applied but I got an email saying they were full and then the next day another to say they had a cancellation and I was in. I'm sure if  you email them they'll get back as they seem very good at communication. But I don't think I got an automated response first. 

Edited by Beerqueen
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kats1891 said:

Yeah because they thought I wasn't pre registered. They said that I had registered with my main email address but had used my secondary email to apply. Yet all the emails they sent me went to my secondary so don't really understand it. Anyway it's sorted now luckily. 

53 minutes ago, DJL said:

I can find you the organiser's email address if you like? 

17 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Have to disagree with you there. It's right next door to the late night areas! And don't camp near the loos as they send the hoovers in at about 6am (just as the SEC has stopped pumping out its bass). Take ear plugs.

Agree with this, the new IICON stage is right behind the camp and is VERY loud (as you might imagine!)  I finished a shift late one night last year and couldn't get to sleep until that stage stopped at 6am.

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Agree with this, the new IICON stage is right behind the camp and is VERY loud (as you might imagine!)  I finished a shift late one night last year and couldn't get to sleep until that stage stopped at 6am.

I read 'might as well stay at IICON until 6am' :danced:

18 hours ago, MrZigster said:
19 hours ago, sinhala said:

Your EPO band should work at any gate. Be warned that they shut Gate C early on Tuesday night.

Tuesday night, you should be able to get out of (though not necessarily in through) VG3 or VG3a.  Mary's Gate is usually open all night, but that's a long old hike.

5 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Tuesday night, you should be able to get out of (though not necessarily in through) VG3 or VG3a.  Mary's Gate is usually open all night, but that's a long old hike.

What about Bella's or Orchard. Be useful if working West Holts Bar for Shelter.

5 hours ago, zico martin said:

So its festaff applications at the weekend then, am I right in thinking to have any chance of getting in I'll need to pay deposits of about £500 to work 2 festivals? 

It's only Glastonbury and boomtown that have full price deposit, the rest are only £35

11 hours ago, zico martin said:

So its festaff applications at the weekend then, am I right in thinking to have any chance of getting in I'll need to pay deposits of about £500 to work 2 festivals? 

follow up question! is it first come first served a la oxfam? I'm under the impression you apply then they review all applications... but the guidance seems to suggest otherwise.