Volunteering 2020

DJL

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

dont look too close into it :) 

Ha ha!  I've had a quick look and think I'll go for it!  You get a day off during the festival, they try to accommodate any bands you particularly want to see, but... you have to clean loos!  But it looks like they are the compost ones.  

22 minutes ago, Havors said:

Are you trying Feststaff as well? Im usre they open 1st March??

I got an oxfam spot so i was quite lucky... ive still got a refresh plug in working on the site though to get 2 of my friends spots. You should keep trying Oxfam I got my friend a spot in May last year. 

Probably will try for Festaff but Mr Charm isn’t too keen, so he won’t be trying, would prefer us to go together but will leave him behind if necessary. 
Charm x

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

They were two women whose names escape me but they run the briefings and decide the rotas for the Shelter teams. I am sure that the same two people are still there

is it Jeannie McTavish and Rose Brady ? - they have always been staff Managers so know all about staffing but neither in my memory have ever worked as a Tent Manager or Line Manager so perhaps they were tricked into thinking the Guest Bar was very busy when in fact the Promoters { of various events } always wanted the front line staff to be double what a public bar would get.

5 minutes ago, Charm said:

Probably will try for Festaff but Mr Charm isn’t too keen, so he won’t be trying, would prefer us to go together but will leave him behind if necessary. 
Charm x

Dedication! Thats what we like to see! haha! every man/woman for themselves ha 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

is it Jeannie McTavish and Rose Brady ? - they have always been staff Managers so know all about staffing but neither in my memory have ever worked as a Tent Manager or Line Manager so perhaps they were tricked into thinking the Guest Bar was very busy when in fact the Promoters { of various events } always wanted the front line staff to be double what a public bar would get.

I volunteered in the guest bar through Shelter/Avalon in 2011 and 2013, I think first year I was started on another bar and they brought a few of us over due to not enough staff in guest bar. Then in 2013 I think I was just put on guest bar for all my shifts if I remember correctly.

It was busy there but not overly so and there were some people who were being paid to work as well as volunteers. It was useful to get access from pyramid to other stage for the weekend and occasionally got to talk with/serve some performers and celebrities (don't remember any major superstars coming through). Think I served Alabama shakes, Paolo nutini, Harry Enfield and Chris O'dowd.

No idea if they still do it, I also volunteered in 2014 and 2015 but never back at the guest bar!

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Not them It was the two who take on the admin on behalf of Shelter for Avalon and they camp in the crew field I am sure that any one who has been going recently should know.

2 hours ago, maarrkk said:

I volunteered in the guest bar through Shelter/Avalon in 2011 and 2013, I think first year I was started on another bar and they brought a few of us over due to not enough staff in guest bar. Then in 2013 I think I was just put on guest bar for all my shifts if I remember correctly.

It was busy there but not overly so and there were some people who were being paid to work as well as volunteers. It was useful to get access from pyramid to other stage for the weekend and occasionally got to talk with/serve some performers and celebrities (don't remember any major superstars coming through). Think I served Alabama shakes, Paolo nutini, Harry Enfield and Chris O'dowd.

No idea if they still do it, I also volunteered in 2014 and 2015 but never back at the guest bar!

Ooh you lucky git. Was it full on busy?

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

Not them It was the two who take on the admin on behalf of Shelter for Avalon and they camp in the crew field I am sure that any one who has been going recently should know.

Always been Jeannie doing the training when I've gone.

Pretty certain it was said (and is always said) when they powerpoint up the bar map, "...but you won't be working there...", in regards to the Guest Bar. Kind of always presumed it';s a coveted spot and is reserved for the favoured or those they know for sure who won't mess up/are super reliable..

Sure I heard somewhere that its white shirt black tie if you do work there (@maarrkk?).

I've always thought, "Hey. I can pack that. Gissa job".

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Pretty certain it was said (and is always said) when they powerpoint up the bar map, "...but you won't be working there...", in regards to the Guest Bar. Kind of always presumed it';s a coveted spot and is reserved for the favoured or those they know for sure who won't mess up/are super reliable..

Sure I heard somewhere that its white shirt black tie if you do work there (@maarrkk?).

Actually I just spoke to my younger brother and was he mindful about one of them being called Jennie. The other girl we can't remember her name as so long ago.

9 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Actually I just spoke to my younger brother and was he mindful about one of them being called Jennie. The other girl we can't remember her name as so long ago.

I know no one from the Shelter side but I know Jeannie McTavish works for Avalon as she did Staffing for so many years with the WBC until the big Split - The only thing Avalon does do that the WBC does not is the handing the cash over to a cashier so that slows things down.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

If I get down to the bar in the acoustic area  I will find out what their current policy is - that Tent Manager I have knowing 30+ years - I have some cracking shots of him ' when he still had hair ' !!!

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

I know no one from the Shelter side but I know Jeannie McTavish works for Avalon as she did Staffing for so many years with the WBC until the big Split - The only thing Avalon does do that the WBC does not is the handing the cash over to a cashier so that slows things down.

Is there a dedicated cash person then? Seems inefficient? 

Great thread - thanks for all the info. I have a question about the deposit  I paid to Shelter on Tuesday...I paid by visa and it hasn't yet been taken from my card …..does that mean I didn't get a place and so I will have to try again tomorrow?  Or do they not take the deposit until nearer the time - don't want to log on and pay again tomorrow if I have already got a place!!!  Cheers (hopefully see you all in June!)

1 hour ago, TrailRunner said:

Great thread - thanks for all the info. I have a question about the deposit  I paid to Shelter on Tuesday...I paid by visa and it hasn't yet been taken from my card …..does that mean I didn't get a place and so I will have to try again tomorrow?  Or do they not take the deposit until nearer the time - don't want to log on and pay again tomorrow if I have already got a place!!!  Cheers (hopefully see you all in June!)

I haven’t checked my card but Shelter have confirmed my spot directly as I was worried I had paid twice and contacted them by email and phone.  Last worked with them in 2015.