Volunteering 2020

DJL

29 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm almost certainly going to try to apply with Shelter but have got a few worries - I think I'm ok with the thought of missing some of the action but working til 5 in the morning?  Gulp.  I'm not an all through the nighter, more of a "2 o'clock and I'm bushed" type!  Ah well, we shall see.

Not all the bars are open that late so depends where you end up. Luck of the draw! 

Only Stonebridge goes to 5am - the others are all 3am which is a bit better. It’s quite different staying awake when working but the late shift is the hardest because it’s the time of day that the bars are the busiest. Expect to be knackered - rest up well the following morning and then push through from there!

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Last year we got our wristbands when we arrived on site.

I was aware that the wristbanding set up changed slightly last year, but different coaches seemed to have different processes with it. My coach got one wristband (I thought it was staff camping but can't exactly remember, might have been festival) on the bus, and then the other one from the staffing cabin once in the campsite.

3 hours ago, amfy said:

Only Stonebridge goes to 5am - the others are all 3am which is a bit better. It’s quite different staying awake when working but the late shift is the hardest because it’s the time of day that the bars are the busiest. Expect to be knackered - rest up well the following morning and then push through from there!

Does anyone have a list of or know which bars Shelter provide people to? 

Thanks in advance helpful people! 😀

@marathonsteve @gooner1990 @waltere @LadyP @glasto-worker 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 10:47 PM, marathonsteve said:

Lenny was Excellent as he works  directly for Shelter. I also worked as a  volunteer for one day day festivals in London when he was in charge.

As soon as I saw him, with that mane of hair I was, "You must be Lenny". Lenny the Lion.

@stuie in previous years it's been:

Stonebridge

Park bar

Cockmill

West Holts

Meeting Place

Bar on the Green

Glade

Taphouse (was new for 2019)

A few smaller tents which had previously been for craft cider but last year were rebranded as BrewBar.

Might be a couple of others I'm forgetting but that's the core of the list

14 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

The Guest Bar looks to be Interstage 

It is, but I'm almost certain that the majority of those who work it are getting paid to do so and/or have a significant amount of bar experience. "Regular" volunteers don't end up there.

7 minutes ago, waltere said:

It is, but I'm almost certain that the majority of those who work it are getting paid to do so and/or have a significant amount of bar experience. "Regular" volunteers don't end up there.

If its Interstage It will be staffed by people who are getting paid to do their shifts. Volunteers won't be working there as it would be unfair.

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

If its Interstage It will be staffed by people who are getting paid to do their shifts. Volunteers won't be working there as it would be unfair.

The guest bar is in the backstage compound { now called interstage } 

why would you think that would be unfair for Volunteers to work in it ?

The WBC ran that bar for 24 years  before the split up from Avalon and all the serving staff were Volunteers - - I know because my Team worked in it for 10+ events

Here is the Bar { when the WBC ran it } - note the wood chip on the ground.

By convention that bar will stay open 1 hour longer than all the main bars 

Apart from the guest pass which allows you to move quickly from A to B its nothing really special.

Avalon may for their own reasons have decided to change the staffing protocol

backstage-bar.thumb.jpg.110f413c73d3b6179ca32b5b189382b3.jpg

12 hours ago, amfy said:

It was also reasonably quiet from 3am onwards....a lot of us would be cleaning and tidying from 4am onwards so we could leave at 5am on the dot!

7 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

The guest bar is in the backstage compound { now called interstage } 

why would you think that would be unfair for Volunteers to work in it ?

The WBC ran that bar for 24 years  before the split up from Avalon and all the serving staff were Volunteers - - I know because my Team worked in it for 10+ events

Here is the Bar { when the WBC ran it } - note the wood chip on the ground.

By convention that bar will stay open 1 hour longer than all the main bars 

Apart from the guest pass which allows you to move quickly from A to B its nothing really special.

Avalon may for their own reasons have decided to change the staffing protocol

backstage-bar.thumb.jpg.110f413c73d3b6179ca32b5b189382b3.jpg

The Avalon Managers said this when we attended the briefing in London when we did it about 5 years ago. It may have change since then but they were the words they used. I think that they were implying that it was full on.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

It was also reasonably quiet from 3am onwards....a lot of us would be cleaning and tidying from 4am onwards so we could leave at 5am on the dot!

Whereas on the 3am finish people are trying to get a last drink right to the end and you can add another half hour at least on for tidying up!

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

The Avalon Managers said this when we attended the briefing in London when we did it about 5 years ago. It may have change since then but they were the words they used. I think that they were implying that it was full on.

what was the name of this Avalon Manager ? as the odds are I know him and if he made that Claim he is talking Bollocks .

Sales wise its well down the list { bottom 15% } as most are in that Bar as they have a fancy catering Company rather than drinking.

The WBC wanted to make it larger but they were restricted by Michael Eavis.

The Guest bar at Reading festival is hectic and must sell 3 times as much as Glastonbury Guest Bar.

There is other hospitality bars in that area run by various Sponsors where the chosen ones can get free drinks.

Unlike most bars they have extra serving staff so the Customers don't have to wait as long so its not hectic at all.

39 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

what was the name of this Avalon Manager ? as the odds are I know him and if he made that Claim he is talking Bollocks .

Sales wise its well down the list { bottom 15% } as most are in that Bar as they have a fancy catering Company rather than drinking.

The WBC wanted to make it larger but they were restricted by Michael Eavis.

The Guest bar at Reading festival is hectic and must sell 3 times as much as Glastonbury Guest Bar.

There is other hospitality bars in that area run by various Sponsors where the chosen ones can get free drinks.

Unlike most bars they have extra serving staff so the Customers don't have to wait as long so its not hectic at all.

They were two women whose names escape me but they run the briefings and decide the rotas for the Shelter teams. I am sure that the same two people are still there

26 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Good luck, and hope you get it, opens up a whole new world

Always fancied stewarding somewhere in the Green Fields if I was ticketless, would never of known they were looking if you hadn’t posted the info, thanks lovely. 
Charm x

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Sent off my application for stewarding in the Green Crafts field today, fingers crossed. 
It’s the most appealing volunteering role I’ve seen, really hope I get it. 
Charm x 

Are you trying Feststaff as well? Im usre they open 1st March??

I got an oxfam spot so i was quite lucky... ive still got a refresh plug in working on the site though to get 2 of my friends spots. You should keep trying Oxfam I got my friend a spot in May last year. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Are you trying Feststaff as well? Im usre they open 1st March??

I got an oxfam spot so i was quite lucky... ive still got a refresh plug in working on the site though to get 2 of my friends spots. You should keep trying Oxfam I got my friend a spot in May last year. 

Festaff is open already for people who have already worked for them in the past.