Volunteering 2020

DJL

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Usual "have you checked your spam folder" comment.

Well done for getting an email conversation with them. Was a time when they would reply speedily to everything, but the last few years all I've ever got is an automatic reply stating "we will get back to you", then they've never got back to me.

"Lenny" was brilliant. This "Lucy" on the other hand...

Lenny was Excellent as he works  directly for Shelter. I also worked as a  volunteer for one day day festivals in London when he was in charge.

Missing out on the resale date is quite clever from Shelter, wateraid gives you until May or something to reject your place so then have a surge of rejections the day after resale.

Im a newbie for shelter but will certainly be trying my luck at 9am, I don’t mind missing main festival days too much for bar work as you’re in the festival a bit more, not like an oxfam steward sat on a gate near the fence line or something with no one to chat to and nothing to do. 

14 hours ago, MrZigster said:

So in other words, I think you would be very unlucky if you got shifts where you miss two headline slots.

My shifts last year were

Weds 2.30pm-10.30pm

Fri 9pm-5am

Sun 7pm-3am.

I missed two nights of headliners/having a good drink, but then I did have Weds evening > Fri night off which was nearly 48 hours and then I had Saturday night off which was great for me as I wanted to see Liam Gallagher and The Chem Bros.

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

Missing out on the resale date is quite clever from Shelter, wateraid gives you until May or something to reject your place so then have a surge of rejections the day after resale.

Yeh that was a bit annoying last year, I got a place with Shelter then had the dilemma of not going for it in the re-sale (my friends then got tickets) had I got through on the resale I would have lost the £300 deposit so would have cost me over £500 to get into the festival.  As it turned out it cost me nothing!

On 2/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, gooner1990 said:

Shelter is now live to people who worked last year....

Well good luck to everyone for both days - ' I know what its like ' although the WBC uses a different system  and I as a Organiser was subject to Team reductions on occasions and I was the one who had to tell various people they did not have a place.

Edited by glasto-worker

On 2/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, glasto-worker said:

Well good luck to everyone for both days - ' I know what its like ' although the WBC uses a different system  and I as a Organiser was subject to Team reductions on occasions and I was the one who had to tell various people they did not have a place.

I worked on the Stonebridge bar and we had a lot of people not turn up to shifts which made it harder for those of us that did.

36 people in total got into the festival with Shelter and then disappeared without working one single shift.

Edited by gooner1990

2 minutes ago, Eldog said:

I just found the link by searching Google. Could have paid but hesitated and now can't get on the site due to traffic. 

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury

They have said anyone who didn't volunteer last year but signs up will have it rejected and their deposit refunded.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

They have said anyone who didn't volunteer last year but signs up will have it rejected and their deposit refunded.

Oh really fair enough. Read through all the terms and conditions on that page and didn't see anything. Weird that it's publicly published on Google 

1 minute ago, Eldog said:

Oh really fair enough. Read through all the terms and conditions on that page and didn't see anything. Weird that it's publicly published on Google 

I got this earlier this week:

We’re giving you the chance to volunteer at the world’s most famous festival, with plenty of time to see your favourite bands and have fun! Here’s everything you need to know…

When can I register?
Tuesday 18 Feb at 10am. We’ll send you the link to this email address. 

What will I be doing?
You’ll be working in a team at one of the bars, pouring and serving drinks. Most of your co-workers will also be volunteers, so the environment is always fun!

Do I have to pay a deposit?
Yes – £300 is payable by card when you register. But you’ll get this back in full (up to 6 weeks post festival)  as long as you complete all of your shifts.

Why do I have to pay a deposit?
If someone volunteers for Shelter but doesn’t show up to their shifts, we get charged. By taking a deposit it means that we, and the people we support, don’t lose out.

So if I get my deposit back in full, how does Shelter receive money?
The lovely people at Avalon Bars & Events donate money to us for every volunteer who completes three shifts. So you get to go to Glastonbury, get your £300 back, and help us receive a donation to help families find a proper home. Win, win, win!

Do places go quickly?
Very! In 2019 all our places went in an hour. This year, we expect them to go even faster.

Will you remind me that registration is opening?
Don’t worry, we’ll send you an email as soon as registration goes live at 10am on Tues
day 18 Feb.

We've received the largest interest we've ever had this year, it's important we make the process as fair as possible for everyone. Please don't share this email with anybody or share the link. If somebody signs up and isn't on our interest list, we'll refund them their £300 immediately. I hope you can understand this is to make the process fair for everyone.

Have more questions? Email us at summerfest@shelter.org.uk

Thanks - and good luck!

Lucy
Shelter Events team

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I got this earlier this week:

We’re giving you the chance to volunteer at the world’s most famous festival, with plenty of time to see your favourite bands and have fun! Here’s everything you need to know…

When can I register?
Tuesday 18 Feb at 10am. We’ll send you the link to this email address. 

What will I be doing?
You’ll be working in a team at one of the bars, pouring and serving drinks. Most of your co-workers will also be volunteers, so the environment is always fun!

Do I have to pay a deposit?
Yes – £300 is payable by card when you register. But you’ll get this back in full (up to 6 weeks post festival)  as long as you complete all of your shifts.

Why do I have to pay a deposit?
If someone volunteers for Shelter but doesn’t show up to their shifts, we get charged. By taking a deposit it means that we, and the people we support, don’t lose out.

So if I get my deposit back in full, how does Shelter receive money?
The lovely people at Avalon Bars & Events donate money to us for every volunteer who completes three shifts. So you get to go to Glastonbury, get your £300 back, and help us receive a donation to help families find a proper home. Win, win, win!

Do places go quickly?
Very! In 2019 all our places went in an hour. This year, we expect them to go even faster.

Will you remind me that registration is opening?
Don’t worry, we’ll send you an email as soon as registration goes live at 10am on Tues
day 18 Feb.

We've received the largest interest we've ever had this year, it's important we make the process as fair as possible for everyone. Please don't share this email with anybody or share the link. If somebody signs up and isn't on our interest list, we'll refund them their £300 immediately. I hope you can understand this is to make the process fair for everyone.

Have more questions? Email us at summerfest@shelter.org.uk

Thanks - and good luck!

Lucy
Shelter Events team

It didn't say anything like that on the public website, so I've registered, paid deposit and have a got a confirmation email that says 'You're a volunteer at Glastonbury 2020!'

Worst case scenario, I'm back in the same position and will continue to try and work with Oxfam again.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

It didn't say anything like that on the public website, so I've registered, paid deposit and have a got a confirmation email that says 'You're a volunteer at Glastonbury 2020!'

Worst case scenario, I'm back in the same position and will continue to try and work with Oxfam again.

I'll be really interested to see if this works, I got in today as a previous volunteer, but have first timer friends (registered) who are waiting for Thursday, we didn't want to risk using the link in case it scuppered their Thursday chances - I'll be kicking myself if we could have got them in! 

Hold the phone, just tried again on the off chance the servers were having a moment and got through, 

15 minutes ago, LadyP said:

I'll be really interested to see if this works, I got in today as a previous volunteer, but have first timer friends (registered) who are waiting for Thursday, we didn't want to risk using the link in case it scuppered their Thursday chances - I'll be kicking myself if we could have got them in! 

Worth a go, worst thing that can happen is they get it rejected and try again Thursday.

as others have pointed out you can plead ignorance and say you found it on google 

50 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked on the Stonebridge bar and we had a lot of people not turn up to shifts which made it harder for those of us that did.

36 people in total got into the festival with Shelter and then disappeared without working one single shift.

as you know Shelter/Avalon for the public part are taking on complete strangers some will be happy to lose the deposit and do a Houdini

The WBC does not take a deposit as each one has to be proposed by a Organiser so its a completely different set up as there is a connection { be it work or private life }

In my 32 years its never happened to me but I do know that on occasions at Glastonbury the odd one or two will chance their arm but ' they are stuck ' as the crew camp has security who will pull up anyone trying to leave with their tent before the Sunday and some have been removed ' from the whole site '

The nearest I have ever got to The Stonebridge was the Park Bar in 2008.

I am amazed that Shelter/Avalon have not the reserve of reliable people as its only 400 they take on.

631668723_general-park-area(1).thumb.jpg.b1c87db215a47e1075a411de58ea2284.jpg

29 minutes ago, e_p said:

anyone supply any info on coach travel via Shelter/avalon - ie what time they leave london and get on site tuesday, is there any way round having to go on the coach, and the return times/arrival on the monday?

no, you have to go on their coaches no other way allowed.

I went from bristol and iirc we left about 10am tuesday and return about the same time on the monday.

33 minutes ago, e_p said:

what time they leave london and get on site tuesday

There's coaches leaving King's Cross every hour between 9 am and (I think) 2 pm. It usually takes around 5 hours, including stop, to reach the site, but then can easily be another hour or so in and around the coach dealing with things like ID checks, wristbanding, and finding a gap in site traffic to get to the drop off point before you will actually be 'released' to set up camp.

So, as an example, I get the 11 o'clock coach and am typically on site, tent pitched and first can cracked into between 5.30 and 6.

is there any way round having to go on the coach

To the best of my knowledge, no, and not only are shift patterns given out on the coach down but also the separate wristbands for staff camping. Although if there's the possibility of a legitimate issue for you with getting the coach I see no harm in e-mailing and asking.

return times/arrival on the monday

This part is almost impossible to plan for.

The current system is that starting from, I believe, 7 am on Monday morning you pack up all your tent and gear and then, once you've done so, get given what is basically a number in the queue. They'll then announce numbers (e.g. "London 1-45") to fill coaches as and when they arrive. Beyond that it's kinda hard to say anything specific about timings, as when exactly the coaches will arrive is never set in stone, and even once you're on them it can take a long time to get out of the traffic generated by the site on Monday morning. Being prepared and ready to go sooner will get you out sooner, but exactly when is impossible to say - there's one year I was fairly prepared on the Monday morning, and was on a coach by about 10 and subsequently back in London for mid-afternoon, whilst last year my group had something of a much-needed lie in, subsequently didn't get on a coach until gone 3 pm, and weren't back in London until after 9.

DISCLAIMER:

All of this is solely based off past volunteering experience so may change somewhat this year, although it's been fairly stable for the last few now so I wouldn't expect any changes to be too drastic.

Edited by waltere
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, waltere said:

To the best of my knowledge, no, and not only are shift patterns given out on the coach down but also the separate wristbands for staff camping. Although if there's the possibility of a legitimate issue for you with getting the coach I see no harm in e-mailing and asking.

Last year we got our wristbands when we arrived on site.

I'm almost certainly going to try to apply with Shelter but have got a few worries - I think I'm ok with the thought of missing some of the action but working til 5 in the morning?  Gulp.  I'm not an all through the nighter, more of a "2 o'clock and I'm bushed" type!  Ah well, we shall see.