Volunteering 2020

DJL

Does anyone know what the process is for Shelter? I had the email from registering giving me the date, is it just my details and pay the deposit or do I need to be prepared to write more about how much I love Shelter etc.

Just trying to judge how much time I’ll need to hide in the work toilets for while I do the application.

Shelter is just a fastest finger first thing. You don’t need to know anything about Shelter.

However, during training you will be briefed on what they do, and expected to be able to tell people about their work onsite if I asked whilst in your Shelter T shirt.

We missed out on tickets this year, I managed to get my partner oxfam stewarding but not myself, I am going to try for shelter later this week. We have never worked at glasto before but have both done smaller events. Its going to be difficult as i would imagine we rarely both be off duty but I think this is better than not being on the farm, our main difficulty is we have a campervan but she doesnt drive, would we be able to get a campervan ticket for general as we dont have tickets? Or is there anywhere we could camp and both have access to ? ? ?

1 hour ago, daclown28 said:

We missed out on tickets this year, I managed to get my partner oxfam stewarding but not myself, I am going to try for shelter later this week. We have never worked at glasto before but have both done smaller events. Its going to be difficult as i would imagine we rarely both be off duty but I think this is better than not being on the farm, our main difficulty is we have a campervan but she doesnt drive, would we be able to get a campervan ticket for general as we dont have tickets? Or is there anywhere we could camp and both have access to ? ? ?

I know friends of mine in the recycling crew bring their campervan and park it in the campervan field with normal ticket holders.  Not sure how they go about getting a pass/ticket for there- probably worth asking Shelter.

3 hours ago, dondo said:

I know friends of mine in the recycling crew bring their campervan and park it in the campervan field with normal ticket holders.  Not sure how they go about getting a pass/ticket for there- probably worth asking Shelter.

This would require a normal ticket holder bringing that van, sadly no1 I know has been able to get punter tickets this year, everyone is on different crew parts, seems crazy us all taking tents 

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Not sure how that could work for you. You need a ticket to get a campervan pass(I assume), Oxfam allow campervans but you wouldn't be allowed in the Oxfam field. You might be better holding out for an Oxfam place. As well as camping together you could then be on the same shifts

Yea is what I'm doing but in going to make sure I get a place somehow first, nit going to pass over on an opportunity and end up at home alone. Best case we both get lucky in the resale 

13 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

This would require a normal ticket holder bringing that van, sadly no1 I know has been able to get punter tickets this year, everyone is on different crew parts, seems crazy us all taking tents 

I didn't think my friends needed a normal ticket to bring in their van as it's just the 2 of them and they both work on recycling- happy to ask them if you want.  That said might be different arrangements for recycling crew and Shelter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Losing my hair said:

Shop applications stay open until April 1st.

thanks .... :) wondering if we will get any more stewarding dribs and drabs before then  .... we got a few the other day but I wonder if that was only because they were changing the options available on the drop down and did it at the same time 

Just read the shelter terms and conditions.  Wow is all I can say, it sounds like they have had a lot of trouble job thenpast with people missing shift ms and so on. 300 deposit is non refundable after 31st of march , meaning you lose out of trying the resale , also have to get the coach there and that 2 of your shifts are garuntee to be friday to sunday.

6 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

Just read the shelter terms and conditions.  Wow is all I can say, it sounds like they have had a lot of trouble job thenpast with people missing shift ms and so on. 300 deposit is non refundable after 31st of march , meaning you lose out of trying the resale , also have to get the coach there and that 2 of your shifts are garuntee to be friday to sunday.

We found that when we did it in the past, getting the coach was a good thing.

22 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

I don't mind getting the coach but am seriously wondering about the rest.  If my shifts were allocated nearer the time and were two days out of the main festival, I would accept it of course.  But to apply knowing that, I'm not sure.  And not even having the chance of going for resale is the biggie.  Will have to think carefully before Thursday.

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I don't mind getting the coach but am seriously wondering about the rest.  If my shifts were allocated nearer the time and were two days out of the main festival, I would accept it of course.  But to apply knowing that, I'm not sure.  And not even having the chance of going for resale is the biggie.  Will have to think carefully before Thursday.

We were told on the coach going down what are shifts were.

35 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Have done Shelter four times now. Have always had one shift either Wednesday or Thursday, plus one Day shift and one headliner/Late shift Fri--Sun. So have always had at least one day to myself.

So in other words, I think you would be very unlucky if you got shifts where you miss two headline slots.

Pretty sure they do their best to make it fair. I did meet someone last year who got shifts for both Wed & Thu and so had two days entirely to themselves Fri-Sun. Very much an exception to the rule though.

Good luck to the regulars trying tomorrow and to everyone else for the Thursday.

48 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

It’s very easy to find yourself in May or June with no route in, regretting not taking opportunities that have come your way. Better to be there than not at all.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Have done Shelter four times now. Have always had one shift either Wednesday or Thursday, plus one Day shift and one headliner/Late shift Fri--Sun. So have always had at least one day to myself.

Mr Zigster, i did shelter last year so i get the chance tommorrow ... are there usually enough spots for returning volounteers ?

12 minutes ago, dodger717 said:

Mr Zigster, i did shelter last year so i get the chance tommorrow ... are there usually enough spots for returning volounteers ?

It's never failed me yet! But, as the demand this year seems to have soared, I would make sure I was trying the link constantly from about 9am onwards (or whatever time they've given).

Inevitably there will come a year when the numbers that have previously volunteered with Shelter will surpass the number of places available. I can see them getting all Oxfam/WaterAid and insisting on doing another event with them or something if that happens. Not looking forward to that.

In previous years, the Tuesday link has always leaked and, as far as I am aware, as long as you were on their list/had registered, you could get a place on the Tuesday even if you hadn't previously volunteered with them, rather that waiting 'till the Thursday.

They have stated that this will not be doable this year. Personally I have my doubts. May be worth a try tomorrow if you are a newbie (and have previously registered).

28 minutes ago, e_p said:

i registered, even had an email conversation the shelter, but haven't had anything about actually applying?? 

Usual "have you checked your spam folder" comment.

Well done for getting an email conversation with them. Was a time when they would reply speedily to everything, but the last few years all I've ever got is an automatic reply stating "we will get back to you", then they've never got back to me.

"Lenny" was brilliant. This "Lucy" on the other hand...

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Inevitably there will come a year when the numbers that have previously volunteered with Shelter will surpass the number of places available. I can see them getting all Oxfam/WaterAid and insisting on doing another event with them

Just for clarity for the people hoping to get a place with Oxfam, you don't need to do a second festival to be an Oxfam steward at Glastonbury, if you do a second festival it will gain you priority next year. Oxfam campaigners DO need to do a second festival but there is more time and effort invested in them :)

• Upvote 1