Volunteering 2020

DJL

@Gilb @Pipine Im in awe of your IT literacy and would love to have your skills.  Hope your page checkers work their magic.  

While I'm here Natural Events (poo crew) are taking people.  I asked for more information and was offered a place, but feel you would miss quite a lot, especially when you take into account getting to from shifts.  Plus I know I would probably want a good scrub and clean after my shift.  Heres a bit of info for people:

To begin with you will need to arrive no later than the 23rd of June and leave no earlier than 29th June PM. There will be cleaning shifts every day of 7 hours each (plus 1 hour unpaid for a food break). There are both paid and unpaid roles, if you take an unpaid role, you will not have to work on the Monday and also get one day off during the festival. Of course, it's a festival and we want you to enjoy yourselves so I always ask people who they want to work with and if there are bands they want to see, I can't promise anything but most of the time I can accommodate everyone.

For people that have not worked for Natural Event before, we will ask you to pay a bond of £500 which will be fully refunded upon completion of all shifts within 2 weeks of the event finishing - this is set up on paypal to ensure all of our security!

x

Poo Crew sounds like hard work in comparison to WA Loo Crew.

I appreciate it is all relative and still shit blasting but was actually strangely OK last year on Loo Crew.  I found myself getting quite philosophical about the whole experience.

The down time was so appreciated also. It was the best festival i have ever experienced just to put in perspective for folks.

There are people globally who would consider themselves extremely fortunate to have access to a toilet like a Glastonbury long drop (even the ones that look like they have been strafed by an Albatross). And, there are people who clean toilets all day every day for a pittance. If I can’t hack 4 shifts of 6 hours at the greatest place on earth, what does that say about me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

5 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Poo Crew sounds like hard work in comparison to WA Loo Crew.

I appreciate it is all relative and still shit blasting but was actually strangely OK last year on Loo Crew.  I found myself getting quite philosophical about the whole experience.

The down time was so appreciated also. It was the best festival i have ever experienced just to put in perspective for folks.

There are people globally who would consider themselves extremely fortunate to have access to a toilet like a Glastonbury long drop (even the ones that look like they have been strafed by an Albatross). And, there are people who clean toilets all day every day for a pittance. If I can’t hack 4 shifts of 6 hours at the greatest place on earth, what does that say about me?

superb post :)  the post says it all about you 

Thanks mate. Glastonbury puts me through every emotion and never ceases to surprise me.   Volunteering was a game changer.

I have just “auditioned” for the WaterAid Speaker Network and have gone through all the training and am now waiting to go and give my first talk to a school / community group.

Its important to connect with things.  Sitting on the Tor with a Thatchers or mopping a long drop.  Get into it.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SecretFish said:

Shelter have just emailed me. 

registration  opens on Thursday 20 Feb at 10am

Came here to post this.

As a previous volunteer I was given the date of Tuesday 18th at 10am.

If previous years are anything to go by, this always leaks, though they are saying they are having none of that this year:

Don’t worry, we’ll send you an email as soon as registration goes live at 10am on Tuesday 18 Feb.

We've received the largest interest we've ever had this year, it's important we make the process as fair as possible for everyone. Please don't share this email with anybody or share the link. If somebody signs up and isn't on our interest list, we'll refund them their £300 immediately. I hope you can understand this is to make the process fair for everyone.

I'm on a night shift Tuesday so will in all probability be in bed when the link is sent out, so it won't be me that leaks it this year.

35 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Came here to post this.

As a previous volunteer I was given the date of Tuesday 18th at 10am.

If previous years are anything to go by, this always leaks, though they are saying they are having none of that this year:

As a previous volunteer, you should get in without any problem MrZigster

Just now, marathonsteve said:

As a previous volunteer, you should get in without any problem MrZigster

Managed to get a ticket this year ;). I'm not looking forward to having to queue up though. It's yin and yang. I'll miss some of the luxuries of being crew, but I won't miss missing things.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Managed to get a ticket this year ;). I'm not looking forward to having to queue up though. It's yin and yang. I'll miss some of the luxuries of being crew, but I won't miss missing things.

Same for me, worked it last year but have regular ticket this year on a coach package.

Annoyingly some friends want to work on the bar but haven't done it before, so can't (at the moment) secure a spot, whereas I've been offered a spot as I worked last year but don't need it as I have a ticket!

42 minutes ago, Shaz7366 said:

I haven’t registered my interest to volunteer for shelter. Can I still apply when applications open next week? Thanks 

No I don't think so - it said in my email that any applications from people who hadn't previously expressed interest would be rejected.

11 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I've just registered for Oxfam Campaigning but can't quite get my head round it at the mo (i.e. red wine). And can't believe I am going to be in the top 70 of applications so don't know if it's going to be worth even trying!

Pah - red wine depression I think - of course I'm going to go for it!

59 minutes ago, Shaz7366 said:

I haven’t registered my interest to volunteer for shelter. Can I still apply when applications open next week? Thanks 

Sorry but this was in the email I received. 

If somebody signs up and isn't on our interest list, we'll refund them their £300 immediately. I hope you can understand this is to make the process fair for everyone.

Charm x