Volunteering 2020

DJL

11 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

@crazyfool1 You're a star.  I think I already sent it, but ill do it again :)  I hope we can all get lucky. I think Oxfam's page is going to be my most visited site x

Oh :( hope I’ve not missed it ... had quite a few dms and had to clear my inbox ... hopefully I’ll add you this time ... sorry 

• Like 1

We’ve still got WaterAid applications open and waiting on Festaff (already doing Kendal with them) so if we aren’t creative enough/too old to be a campaigner/not videogenic enough then got more shots at this but they’re all overlapping!

1 minute ago, Flysheet said:

We’ve still got WaterAid applications open and waiting on Festaff (already doing Kendal with them) so if we aren’t creative enough/too old to be a campaigner/not videogenic enough then got more shots at this but they’re all overlapping!

I’d hope it’s about the content and relevance rather than performance 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d hope it’s about the content and relevance rather than performance 

Performance is absolutely relevant, it's arguably the most important factor and will be the reason why they want a video rather than an essay.

They need people with the confidence, charisma, and passion to be able to approach strangers in a field. To be blunt about it, someone who knows their shit inside out but can't convey it or can't hold someones attention won't be a good choice for the role.

Of the other things mentioned, age and photogenic won't be a factor though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Performance is absolutely relevant, it's arguably the most important factor and will be the reason why they want a video rather than an essay.

They need people with the confidence, charisma, and passion to be able to approach strangers in a field. To be blunt about it, someone who knows their shit inside out but can't convey it or can't hold someones attention won't be a good choice for the role.

Of the other things mentioned, age and photogenic won't be a factor though.

duh of course .. 

41 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

@Flysheet Its a waiting game for Wateraid 🙏.  I think a lot of people will try Festaff.  Although the 2 festival commitment makes it difficult for some.  Im ok for annual leave, but my husband is struggling for time off (I've told him he needs a new job. same thing every year!) x

Already got No2 in the bank for Festaff, quite happy to do Kendal for 15 quid!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flysheet said:

WA closed about a week ago I think. 

4 hours ago, Flysheet said:

Too old to be a campaigner???? Oh oh...there goes me 😭

On 2/7/2020 at 12:04 AM, Gilb said:

Well THAT WORKS A TREAT !!! 🤓

Set my macro on a 30 second loop. If it finds that Glasto places are available then it will ping me an SMS immediately, and keep checking until it says Sold Out again whereby it will let me know about it and carry on looping. Can be put to use for any page in the future.

Now going to treat myself to a nerd sandwich 😇

IMG.PNG

Did your page checker work yesterday because a friend managed to get a steward place yesterday ?

I guess they've decided its worth the time to get the right people?  

I think they've had alot of issues with people thinking they were applying for steward place and people not realising you have to do two festivals for campaigning roles.. once they've filtered those people out maybe things will be more manageable.

I'll be glad when the campaign places are closed, its messing with my alert when they come and go..

Edited by Pipine

59 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I guess they've decided its worth the time to get the right people?  

I think they've had alot of issues with people thinking they were applying for steward place and people not realising you have to do two festivals for campaigning roles.. once they've filtered those people out maybe things will be more manageable.

I'll be glad when the campaign places are closed, its messing with my alert when they come and go..

Yes, I agree.  I’m sure there are plenty that won’t fancy doing a second festival.  

Edited by March Hare

7 hours ago, gazzared said:

Did your page checker work yesterday because a friend managed to get a steward place yesterday ?

I had it switched off yesterday as I had to update the code to take into account the Campaign and Shop places being available. I also found that when running the macro through Chrome in Incognito mode the page eventually became blocked. Don't know if this is something they have programmed into their servers to detect/identify possible DoS threats...seems to work ok without Incognito mode.

Its updated and running now. I'm only looking for Steward places.
Once it sees Glastonbury is active, it then checks to see if the Steward places are also available (it detects if the page source has Steward=Disabled and so ignores and won't alert then).

No alerts today so far. But it might have crashed at some point. Will check later.

9 minutes ago, Gilb said:

I had it switched off yesterday as I had to update the code to take into account the Campaign and Shop places being available. I also found that when running the macro through Chrome in Incognito mode the page eventually became blocked. Don't know if this is something they have programmed into their servers to detect/identify possible DoS threats...seems to work ok without Incognito mode.

Its updated and running now. I'm only looking for Steward places.
Once it sees Glastonbury is active, it then checks to see if the Steward places are also available (it detects if the page source has Steward=Disabled and so ignores and won't alert then).

No alerts today so far. But it might have crashed at some point. Will check later.

That's a shame...my mate got his steward place yesterday at 14.10 so don't know if you can check your logs or something.

12 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Same, anyone know anything about shift patterns working in the Avalon bars for shelter? 

Usually 3x8 hours although there are a few 4x6 hours.

There is usually and early 11-7ish, a mid 3-11pm ish & a late 9-3am ish (something like that - can’t remember the exact times but that was the kind of routine). If you get Stonebridge your late shift ends at 5am.

Some bars are open from Wednesday which gets at least one shift out of the way before the music starts & 2 if you are really lucky, but some don’t open til Friday and you will have a shift each day of the main festival.

I got the short straw with Fri/Sat/Sun shifts when I did it and still had a great time. The good thing about working bars is that it’s sociable and you still feel part of the festival. I was at The Glade and nipped out and danced in my break!

with Avalon its likely to be 24 hours in total

2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours
3 days x 8 hours 
4 days x 6 hours 

although that was last years shifts so you need to read the terms and conditions first this year before applying. 

At the end of the day shifts are a lottery and not everyone will be happy but its the price you have to pay to be a Volunteer.

the same goes for the Bars - I have worked in most of them { when they were being run by the WBC } and they do vary a fair bit.

Personally I like a very busy bar as the time flies past but you don't have time to chat to the Customers.

As mentioned above some Bars are not open at the start - its all down to luck.

Be aware that Avalon will move staff about if they detect a change in demand so you can start in one bar and end up in a second Bar.

I know that some have not been happy with certain line Managers ' in some years ' - again its all down to luck.

Its a good deal and certainly I would do it if I did not have a place with the WBC { By good fortune I already have a place Confirmed and I already know which Bar I will be working in and what shifts I will be doing }

There Crew site { is very close to a site the WBC used in 1986 for 5 or 6 years } although at that time it was not close to any noisy area although I do believe its not as quiet as it used to be .

sadly June who used to run the Avalon crew bar died so have not a clue who took her place.

These places will go fast - Good Luck