Volunteering 2020

DJL

41 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah, it certainly used to be the case that it was the same people every year but it seems to be more mixed up now

Those were the volunteers that Oxfam didn't the public to see repesenting Oxfam 😉

Thing have now changed for the better , having said that I have never had a pre festival shift

Edited by DeadAmos

23 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

in 2014 and 2015 it was in February - I know the 2015 date - Saturday 14 February 2015 

But I think in 2019 it was later { due I suspect indirectly to the CO-OP } so it was the middle of March.

If you have ' registered your interest ' - they will let you know

Be sure to read the full terms and conditions first.

Cheers, yes read the terms and conditions.  Seemed a bit more restrictive than other options (i.e. coach locations etc) but only option at the moment.  Have failed getting a ticket normal route for 3 festivals in a row now!

Anyways the Shelter register interest says it is now closed.....the plot thickens....I was thinking of emailing them but I presume they have more important things to deal with atm! 

1 hour ago, basicminds said:

Cheers, yes read the terms and conditions.  Seemed a bit more restrictive than other options (i.e. coach locations etc) but only option at the moment.  Have failed getting a ticket normal route for 3 festivals in a row now!

Anyways the Shelter register interest says it is now closed.....the plot thickens....I was thinking of emailing them but I presume they have more important things to deal with atm! 

Trust me there is lots with the same or close to the same restrictions so you have to look at things from ' their eyes '

They cant have 400 volunteers showing up when they want because Avalon/shelter don't have the manpower to deal with that.

while I have never worked for Oxfam at Glastonbury I have seen how they are processed at Glasto Bus station { from  buses that depart Temple Meads Train Station in Bristol - Oxfam charge £25 for a bus ticket } and it takes a bloody lot of organising.

+ Oxfam also demand that people camping in tents only camp in their Crew area.

so while it may look more relaxed ' when you see it in practice - its the same restrictions.

-----------

with regards register of interest - all that means is ' its closed for now '

Once they are ready - that site will change  'so its a mad scramble ' and at some point even when they say - All places have Gone - they will then put up a ' wait list '

I know people who were on that wait list and they thought they had not got a Fucking Chance but right out the blue ' they got a call and I know 2 of them got places very close to the event.'

Shelter don't mess about - They will go though the list and only the people who they can speak to and Confirm they can make it get a place # so don't have your phone switched off #

## at some point in time someone will post ' the time and date for registrations ##

Big note - Shelter may or may not use the same address they have used before so its crucial you enter the correct way 

last year people were worried it was a scam hence why I showed below to prove ' it was a genuine link '

once you reach that page and the money goes though - you have made it.

fae83c.jpg.daed0bfc9d31f93be2c7cd249e27aedb.jpg

-------------------

also see 

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/228492-shelter-glastonbury/

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, amfy said:

They don’t - Having got those shifts last year in only my 2nd year of stewarding & my 3rd  festival overall, I met loads of people with the same and less experience, whilst many who’ve been doing it for years wonder how on earth they get allocated.

I never expect to get them again!

Then you were very lucky hey. Which festival was this - Glasto?

5 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Then you were very lucky hey. Which festival was this - Glasto?

Yep it was Glasto!  I know how lucky I was and valued it accordingly! I really don’t expect it’ll ever happen again

I not only got early shifts but was on a quiet vehicle gate where we were allowed to sit down, had shelter, worked with some absolutely lovely security as well as my lovely Oxfam team, and had a little hut where we could make ourselves a brew!

My shifts were also 3 x 2-10pm - so no early mornings or overnights.

It was seriously like having winning the Christmas and Birthday Lottery Jackpot all rolled into one. A very beautiful thing.......but it is gone now! 

The one thing I can vouch for, is that whilst it is very very rare, it can happen for anyone!

2 hours ago, DJL said:

Does anyone know how long Water Aid have taken to make decisions in previous years?

They take a fair while, they have said on facebook that they aim to let everyone know by the end of March. Last year my initial rejection came through early April, then two weeks later had the offer to work. 

1 hour ago, amfy said:

Yep it was Glasto!  I know how lucky I was and valued it accordingly! I really don’t expect it’ll ever happen again

I not only got early shifts but was on a quiet vehicle gate where we were allowed to sit down, had shelter, worked with some absolutely lovely security as well as my lovely Oxfam team, and had a little hut where we could make ourselves a brew!

My shifts were also 3 x 2-10pm - so no early mornings or overnights.

It was seriously like having winning the Christmas and Birthday Lottery Jackpot all rolled into one. A very beautiful thing.......but it is gone now! 

The one thing I can vouch for, is that whilst it is very very rare, it can happen for anyone!

Yes I have heard of Oxfam not allowing people to sit down on shift

Oasis Carnival Club, is a carnival club based in Frome, Somerset. They recruit workers for stewarding/working on the outside of the festival for people looking to work in exchange for their ticket.

Roles available:
Festival stewarding, model making, face painting and anything they can do to make the entry into the festival the best it can be.

Shifts requirements and patterns:
Three eight-hour shifts at least one of which will be over the festival period.

Deposit:
A deposit of approximately the cost of a ticket+booking fee will be required, this is returned at the end of your last shift.

When and where to register and apply:
In the first instance e-mail us at info@oasiscarnival.co.uk you will then get a confirmation e-mail and full conditions will be sent to successful applicants.

You can find more information by clicking here or e-mailing: info@oasiscarnival.co.uk

30 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Yes I have heard of Oxfam not allowing people to sit down on shift

They definitely usually like you to stand. They like you to look professional, alert, and ready to act at all times. You shouldn’t sit down unless expressly given permission to do so.

9 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Oasis Carnival Club, is a carnival club based in Frome, Somerset. They recruit workers for stewarding/working on the outside of the festival for people looking to work in exchange for their ticket.

Roles available:
Festival stewarding, model making, face painting and anything they can do to make the entry into the festival the best it can be.

Shifts requirements and patterns:
Three eight-hour shifts at least one of which will be over the festival period.

Deposit:
A deposit of approximately the cost of a ticket+booking fee will be required, this is returned at the end of your last shift.

When and where to register and apply:
In the first instance e-mail us at info@oasiscarnival.co.uk you will then get a confirmation e-mail and full conditions will be sent to successful applicants.

You can find more information by clicking here or e-mailing: info@oasiscarnival.co.uk

I read about these and it said something about not getting your ticket for the festival until 4pm on the Thursday or after your 1st shift if you hadn't done one by the Thursday. 

Just worth considering if people do decide to opt for this

11 hours ago, amfy said:

They definitely usually like you to stand. They like you to look professional, alert, and ready to act at all times. You shouldn’t sit down unless expressly given permission to do so.

It also fends off the "why are we paying you to provide people who are just lounging about" comments from some festival operators (not Glastonbury, as far as I know!) - though there are a couple of people who work for GFL who will mention it to supervisors / call the oxfam onsite "office" if they spot gaps / think that gates are slow for whatever reason...

3 hours ago, Blueberry said:

Anyone know of any volunteering opportunities at the Kidz Field?

kidz field is a pretty tight knit group, with their own camping area etc. They use all the normal avenues for gates/toilets etc, but it would be worth contacting the festival office for a contact within the kidz field. Anything in particular you're looking at?