Volunteering 2020

DJL

52 minutes ago, amanufan16 said:

I managed to get glastonbury and reading volunteering with Oxfam, it's my first time volunteering as well lol

Does anyone have any like tips or advice or just general info on what happens?

You going to hate me. What I did was go back a couple of years  on efests and made notes. It stood me in good stead with all the information. Obviously I didn't do it all in one go. Best of Lucky and enjoy your self.

10 hours ago, Gilb said:

I have set up a page-checker using my own crafted macro running in Excel with Selenium.

It opens the Oxfam festival selector page in Chrome, then reloads every 30 seconds.
If the text 'Glastonbury - Sold Out' is found in the page text then it carries on with the refresh loop. However as soon as that disappears it will proceed to select Glastonbury/Steward/tick the boxes/click Proceed. 
Which is great...but I can't make it autofill the payment details (opens in a secure frame so my macro can't see it).
Since I can't run this from my work pc it's therefore of no use as it'll just sit on my home pc at the payment page all day.

I'm going to update the macro tonight to instead email me at work as soon as it sees Glastonbury available. So it'll be hit or miss if I see an email alert in time to go in and fill in the details (if - a very big IF - places become available and I'm in front of my emails).

I have a similar macro ready for resale day which I've tested - refreshes the landing page until the registration page appears, then fills in all the reg/postcode details, move on to the payment page, fills in the card number/expiry/ccv, tick the checkbox and submits...only thing it can't do is ensure I get through to the registration entry page - that has to be F5 untikl I get lucky!

Sorry to all non-nerd-geeks if that sounded very nerdy-geeky :mda:

9 hours ago, jfaragher said:

That's neat.  Have you thought about using an email to SMS service as well - I think some of them have some free initial messages to test with, which is probably all you'll need?

Well THAT WORKS A TREAT !!! 🤓

Set my macro on a 30 second loop. If it finds that Glasto places are available then it will ping me an SMS immediately, and keep checking until it says Sold Out again whereby it will let me know about it and carry on looping. Can be put to use for any page in the future.

Now going to treat myself to a nerd sandwich 😇

IMG.PNG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Set my macro on a 30 second loop. If it finds that Glasto places are available then it will ping me an SMS immediately, and keep checking until it says Sold Out again whereby it will let me know about it and carry on looping. Can be put to use for any page in the future.

Well done, that's excellent! Did you manage to act on it and get a spot?

What

40 minutes ago, Gilb said:

IMG.PNG

What does a muggle have to do to have this? You should go into business ? I'm sure people would pay for a service like this, I know I would.

1 hour ago, basicminds said:

does anyone know when Shelter open up their applications?  

in 2014 and 2015 it was in February - I know the 2015 date - Saturday 14 February 2015 

But I think in 2019 it was later { due I suspect indirectly to the CO-OP } so it was the middle of March.

If you have ' registered your interest ' - they will let you know

Be sure to read the full terms and conditions first.

8 hours ago, Gilb said:

IMG.PNG

Excellent work! You may have become best mates with a lot of people on here 💪

I dont know what I think about this .... its obviously a master piece but what happens when it or things like it becomes so common that it massively affects chances of some to work or get tickets .... id never have enough technical / IT skills to be able to set anything up like this and if its given  out to people the advantage will start to diminish ..... Nice to have as a personal thing though ...... 

12 hours ago, amanufan16 said:

I managed to get glastonbury and reading volunteering with Oxfam, it's my first time volunteering as well lol

Does anyone have any like tips or advice or just general info on what happens?

Join the facebook group. Loads of people on there who have done it before if you have specific questions.... just dont be "that" person who ask the obvious questions that are all in the FAQ on the site haha 

1 hour ago, Chazwozza said:

Just a thought @Gilb - you might want to obscure your mobile number before all these new mates bombard you with requests for help...!

Or perhaps not - depends on how you’re off for mates I suppose.

59 minutes ago, incident said:

I would've assumed the mobile number shown will be that of the email/web to SMS gateway?

Yeah it's not my mobile number. They are numbers randomly allocated by ClickSend (the company I used to generate the alerts) to send the SMS.

2 hours ago, Gilb said:

Yeah it's not my mobile number. They are numbers randomly allocated by ClickSend (the company I used to generate the alerts) to send the SMS.

Did you manage to get a Oxfam ticket last night or was that a test run ? Thanks

8 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Did you manage to get a Oxfam ticket last night or was that a test run ? Thanks

That was a test I did using Download as the available festival to generate the alert.

The macro is running since this morning at home. Checking the page every 30 seconds. I've not had any alerts so far, so nothing have become available. Could be weeks until they appear...so will have to persevere until they do.

6 minutes ago, Gilb said:

That was a test I did using Download as the available festival to generate the alert.

The macro is running since this morning at home. Checking the page every 30 seconds. I've not had any alerts so far, so nothing have become available. Could be weeks until they appear...so will have to persevere until they do.

Thanks alot, I was in work trying for a friend around the same time. I thought I'd missed one ha. Good luck 👍

53 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Pre-festival places go to the experienced (as u are dealing with traders and logistics crews), but I have heard of the odd noob getting one.

They don’t - Having got those shifts last year in only my 2nd year of stewarding & my 3rd  festival overall, I met loads of people with the same and less experience, whilst many who’ve been doing it for years wonder how on earth they get allocated.

I never expect to get them again!