Volunteering 2020

DJL

Just letting all you lucky people know, who managed to book Oxfam stewarding places (at any of the festivals), that you can now begin to fill in your details under your profile. Photos, referees, transport, training etc. 

Remember, your place isn’t properly reserved until you have completed this, including references and training. 

Good luck xx

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VeeDubs said:

Just letting all you lucky people know, who managed to book Oxfam stewarding places (at any of the festivals), that you can now begin to fill in your details under your profile. Photos, referees, transport, training etc. 

Remember, your place isn’t properly reserved until you have completed this, including references and training. 

Good luck xx

how long do you get ? and after that do the places go back in the pot ? ie people loose them ?

2 minutes ago, VeeDubs said:

Good luck xx

Thanks for the nudge!

HI all 

read through most of this long thread and it's really full of useful advice! 

As a non-UK resident (without a work visa for the UK) can anyone confirm which organizations are open for volunteers like myself? Oxfam, Water Aid and Greenpeace require work visas for the UK to my knowledge.  Shelter appears to be the same.  

thanks in advance

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

just trying to think when some might become available again if there is some kind of deadline ? 

The deadline for training is the first day of the first festival you have volunteered at, Oxfam used to do a training on the Tuesday at Glastonbury (I don't know if they still do) and now they offer online training, there will be a few who "forget" to fill it in and a few whos references don't pan, out plus after the resale there will be more dropping out,

I personally don't think Oxfam will publicise when more places will be coming , if only to save the servers getting inundated

No immediate panic, but if you need to select a training slot, for example, you may have more choice if you select a suitable venue / date sooner rather than later. The FAQ section on Oxfam’s website has lots of good info, assuming, like me, it’s all been forgotten in the excitement 😄

Also, for those of you still feeling disappointed, keep trying. Places become available at any random time, not just after the resales. My other half and I bagged ours last year early April, just as we were turning in for the night. Needless to say, we didn’t get much shuteye !

Just now, DeadAmos said:

The deadline for training is the first day of the first festival you have volunteered at, Oxfam used to do a training on the Tuesday at Glastonbury (I don't know if they still do) and now they offer online training, there will be a few who "forget" to fill it in and a few whos references don't pan, out plus after the resale there will be more dropping out,

I personally don't think Oxfam will publicise when more places will be coming , if only to save the servers getting inundated

yep I was thinking outloud that some might ? become available if people didnt complete profiles within say a 2 week window .... unannounced ... so in 2 weeks 

13 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

why I ask is that due to England playing well in The World Cup clashing with Finsbury Park 2018 { where some WBC teams failed to show up } the actual ' official WBC Groups ' were reduced for Glastonbury 2019.

FTFY.

11 hours ago, Superscally said:

They all got totally roasted on gate C for drug searches last year! 😂

Yep. Was stopped at least twice. They don't muck about either. More thorough than some Border Force Officers I've encountered ;).

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

just trying to think when some might become available again if there is some kind of deadline ? 

Your best shot is just after coach and general resale. Then around the cancellation deadline which is 12/5 according to my confirmation email. But it’s not a thing organised on a date, according to the admins on the FB group they could be released individually (unannounced) or in a bunch (announced).

It sucks but it’s a waiting game for a couple of months for the bulk of the cancellations.  That said I’m sure a few will cancel between now and then.  Could drive yourself mad (and jobless) logging in every half hour between now and June.

4 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Your best shot is just after coach and general resale. Then around the cancellation deadline which is 12/5 according to my confirmation email. But it’s not a thing organised on a date, according to the admins on the FB group they could be released individually (unannounced) or in a bunch (announced).

It sucks but it’s a waiting game for a couple of months for the bulk of the cancellations.  That said I’m sure a few will cancel between now and then.  Could drive yourself mad (and jobless) logging in every half hour between now and June.

:) ive got a few people  checking occasionally on the offchance ... we are working on shift patterns A-E :) Thankyou 

Edited by crazyfool1

11 hours ago, Superscally said:

Not true...at least not in entirety. Maybe it was the late entries last year that got atypical shifts...maybe it's changed. Mine didn't fit any of those patterns and I had a "letter", think it was A

Most people would be on one of the main A-E shift patterns. Then there's always a few that aren't. I've seen, but luckily not had, some absolute stinkers. 2 shifts at headliner times, that sort of thing. Equally, I've met people with just 2 shifts. Lucky sods. 

I think I'm my 11 or so years I've only had one which didn't fit one of the normal 5 patterns

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Olshansky said:

HI all 

read through most of this long thread and it's really full of useful advice! 

As a non-UK resident (without a work visa for the UK) can anyone confirm which organizations are open for volunteers like myself? Oxfam, Water Aid and Greenpeace require work visas for the UK to my knowledge.  Shelter appears to be the same.  

thanks in advance

My understanding of the situation is slightly different to that -

Oxfam, and I assume the other charities will be approximately the same, require that you legally have the right to volunteer in the UK, and they ask that you take responsibility for checking/verifying your own status. That doesn't mean you need a Work/Volunteer Visa.

Basically - under a Standard Visitor Visa*, you're legally allowed to volunteer for a registered charity for up to 30 days as long as doing so is not the main purpose of your visit. I know that others from North America have volunteered with Oxfam on that basis. If you're entering under a different Visa, then different rules apply.

If you did genuinely need a Work Visa for whatever reason (including if you wanted to work for Festaff, for example, as they're not a charity), then in all honesty I can't imagine anyone sponsoring you for it - it's a pain in the arse procedure that will involve time and money when they can easily fully recruit from the UK without the hassle.

* If you enter the country under a Visa exemption, which would include most tourists from the USA, then it effectively counts as a Standard Visitor Visa.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

Just now, brettredmayne said:

None really, was a very basic profile I created with references 

I then just ticked a box for Taylor swift and paid my deposit.

Less then a week later it was approved 

does ticking the box for Taylor swift ensure she comes to your tent ? what were the other options ? was Kendrick listed ?

3 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Festaff accepted my application for BST today, pretty straight forward to book that for those trying in March.

More of an application process rather then a free for all

I’m in for Kendal, same, no hassle but already had my profile set up in anticipation 

10 minutes ago, incident said:

My understanding of the situation is slightly different to that -

Oxfam, and I assume the other charities will be approximately the same, require that you legally have the right to volunteer in the UK, and they ask that you take responsibility for checking/verifying your own status. That doesn't mean you need a Work/Volunteer Visa.

Basically - under a Standard Visitor Visa*, you're legally allowed to volunteer for a registered charity for up to 30 days as long as doing so is not the main purpose of your visit. I know that others from North America have volunteered with Oxfam on that basis. If you're entering under a different Visa, then different rules apply.

If you did genuinely need a Work Visa for whatever reason (including if you wanted to work for Festaff, for example, as they're not a charity), then in all honesty I can't imagine anyone sponsoring you for it - it's a pain in the arse procedure that will involve time and money when they can easily fully recruit from the UK without the hassle.

* If you enter the country under a Visa exemption, which would include most tourists from the USA, then it effectively counts as a Standard Visitor Visa.

thank you!!

1 minute ago, DJL said:

So has anyone successfully set-up a page alert? has anyone heard of any coming up since they came up sold out?

@Pipine said distill didn't work, @e_p and @crazyfool1 are waiting on @eFestivals to set one up? I'm up for paying for one via here...

Neil mentioned next week ...... dont know if you saw the response from him ? .... but not sure how it would work with the dropdown menu eating up lots of credits ... some of the festivals have been on and off available quite a bit since yesterday 

17 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

thanks for thinking about me.

Are you sure that your Local branch got WBC places at Glastonbury 2019 ?

why I ask is that due to the balls up over Finsbury Park 2018 { where some WBC teams failed to show up } the actual ' official WBC Groups ' were reduced for Glastonbury 2019.

Your official WBC Group organiser should be aware if they are banned or not.

##  Big note - it is highly likely the WBC will place limitations this year due to it being the anniversary so you would be wise to get your name down now. ##

most of my Team { BWTUC - who actually own the WBC } have 20+ years WBC experience but I am not certain I can get places for them all - should find out next Tuesday when I see the WBC Chairman. 

-----------

I have never worked for Oxfam at Glastonbury so have never been inside their Crew camp but comparing it with other festivals ' camp facilities are excellent with the WBC ' Although its near Gate D and highly unlikely this will change this year.Unlike previous years the Crew coaches are only allowed to drop off at Bronze Gate as they have a extra security check point somewhere - I don't know where myself as I got a lift up on a WBC 4WD and was dropped into the crew camp. { I gave up hiking when I left the Scouts }

When I started with the WBC it was 8 hour shifts but now they tend to limit them to 6 hour shifts and depending which bar you end up in will dictate how many days you work.

good luck - and get your name in quickly.

2019-RED-DOT55.thumb.jpg.421adf2df59e4e8b195fe4f3f7549217.jpg

Hi. Thanks for this info. Yes my local branch had places last year and as far as I’m aware there were no problems. I’ll contact the rep this week to double check. I’m not guaranteed a place but the way they explained their allocations policy last year suggested I’d have a good chance of getting a place. 

2 hours ago, DJL said:

So has anyone successfully set-up a page alert? has anyone heard of any coming up since they came up sold out?

@Pipine said distill didn't work, @e_p and @crazyfool1 are waiting on @eFestivals to set one up? I'm up for paying for one via here...

I've downloaded a few different ones but they're all either struggling with the login page, they're not checking very often or like distill they're limited on alerts.. haven't found a suitable solution unless you're at your PC and can run it locally.. in which case distill works well.

From the times I've checked manually today there's been a fair bit of change to the list, 2000 trees was available at some point, Isle of Wight keeps coming and going.. nothing for Glastonbury tho. 

Edited by Pipine
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Neil mentioned next week ...... dont know if you saw the response from him ? .... but not sure how it would work with the dropdown menu eating up lots of credits ... some of the festivals have been on and off available quite a bit since yesterday 

Thanks, yeah, had a read through but checking I hadn't missed anything over the last couple of days. As you suggest it's perhaps not entirely straight forward!