Volunteering 2020

DJL

2 hours ago, EFC1996 said:

So what is Oxfam's policy on going to your shift after a few drinks.. eg late shifts, are we expected to stay sober all day? 🤔

You know your limits - when you you show up you need to be with it, able to speak, stand on your feet, process what’s going on around you. 

You can treat it a bit differently and less seriously than driving a car, but ultimately you’ll want to be soba (ish)

If you're not but you manage to hide it you’ll soon crash hard and it’ll be a long ass 8 hours - especially if it’s the night shift. 

Source: myself 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

I don't but I am sure @glasto-worker will fill you in! 

thanks for thinking about me.

10 hours ago, Lisanextdoor said:

Hi. I lurked around efestivals forum last year and got a place for oxfam a week before so don’t give up hope. I also got an atypical shift pattern with two early shifts so was very happy with that. This morning was more brutal than ticket day. I will have a chance to volunteer with my trade union for WBC. Does anyone know how the campsite compares to the Oxfam one? 

Are you sure that your Local branch got WBC places at Glastonbury 2019 ?

why I ask is that due to the balls up over Finsbury Park 2018 { where some WBC teams failed to show up } the actual ' official WBC Groups ' were reduced for Glastonbury 2019.

Your official WBC Group organiser should be aware if they are banned or not.

##  Big note - it is highly likely the WBC will place limitations this year due to it being the anniversary so you would be wise to get your name down now. ##

most of my Team { BWTUC - who actually own the WBC } have 20+ years WBC experience but I am not certain I can get places for them all - should find out next Tuesday when I see the WBC Chairman. 

-----------

I have never worked for Oxfam at Glastonbury so have never been inside their Crew camp but comparing it with other festivals ' camp facilities are excellent with the WBC ' Although its near Gate D and highly unlikely this will change this year.Unlike previous years the Crew coaches are only allowed to drop off at Bronze Gate as they have a extra security check point somewhere - I don't know where myself as I got a lift up on a WBC 4WD and was dropped into the crew camp. { I gave up hiking when I left the Scouts }

When I started with the WBC it was 8 hour shifts but now they tend to limit them to 6 hour shifts and depending which bar you end up in will dictate how many days you work.

good luck - and get your name in quickly.

2019-RED-DOT55.thumb.jpg.421adf2df59e4e8b195fe4f3f7549217.jpg

20 hours ago, Havors said:

Well my friends who have done it before said these are the shifts that always get given out... they had A last year.  So its a very good guide... if its not broke they wont fix it. 

Not true...at least not in entirety. Maybe it was the late entries last year that got atypical shifts...maybe it's changed. Mine didn't fit any of those patterns and I had a "letter", think it was A

Edited by Superscally

15 hours ago, Havors said:

someone mentioned something earlier about Shelter volunteers having to go to the festival on their coach? 

Ive also heard bad things about managers being arseholes... ? All taken with a pinch of salt obviously 

They all got totally roasted on gate C for drug searches last year! 😂

6 hours ago, stuie said:

You know your limits - when you you show up you need to be with it, able to speak, stand on your feet, process what’s going on around you. 

You can treat it a bit differently and less seriously than driving a car, but ultimately you’ll want to be soba (ish)

If you're not but you manage to hide it you’ll soon crash hard and it’ll be a long ass 8 hours - especially if it’s the night shift. 

Seconded.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I hope it'll be ready to go again next week.

But there's no rush at the moment. Nothing is going to be sold until April.

Was thinking about monitoring some of the other pages oxfam for example said they might release small unannounced amounts of tickets :) thank you 

10 hours ago, stuie said:

At Bestival we worked a day shift to just after 6 on Friday and went into the evening pretty shattered, then worked Saturday night - so Sunday was our big evening off but we were doing the night shift.

We just decided that it was the last day and we would get through the night shift somehow, and went out and had a fair few drinks up to about 10pm without being plastered, and had a good jump about to a few great sets, then slowed down with water, coffee, food etc to show up for shift in a fit state to work.

It was seriously the longest night of my life! 

13 minutes ago, amfy said:

At Bestival we worked a day shift to just after 6 on Friday and went into the evening pretty shattered, then worked Saturday night - so Sunday was our big evening off but we were doing the night shift.

We just decided that it was the last day and we would get through the night shift somehow, and went out and had a fair few drinks up to about 10pm without being plastered, and had a good jump about to a few great sets, then slowed down with water, coffee, food etc to show up for shift in a fit state to work.

It was seriously the longest night of my life! 

It all seems like a good idea at the time doesn't it.  A couple of hours in, the reality hits!

I will never go to my early shift directly from Genosys again either!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Was thinking about monitoring some of the other pages oxfam for example said they might release small unannounced amounts of tickets :) thank you 

I had Distill set up to monitor the Oxfam page but the list changed so many times yesterday I ran out of email alerts (they have a set amount a month)  so I can't rely on it when I'm out and about.. you have to pay a monthly fee to get more email alerts.  So another option will be needed :)

17 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I had Distill set up to monitor the Oxfam page but the list changed so many times yesterday I ran out of email alerts (they have a set amount a month)  so I can't rely on it when I'm out and about.. you have to pay a monthly fee to get more email alerts.  So another option will be needed :)

I’ve been told by someone else that the one they use used up 30 plus alerts ... I’ll just have to be on the ball and not leave the oxfam page and my laptop  for the 4 and a half months 

9 minutes ago, Sue12 said:

My niece has just texted to say she’s got a volunteering place with Oxfam - if we gave her a lift on the Tuesday would we get any sort of priority parking/skip some queues etc? Any advice appreciated - thanks 

Others may know different but I know that I have seen Oxfam people park in the same place where recycling crew are (near to gate B by the Oxfam field) and that was staff camping as we had a different colour permit.

I'm presuming you have a ticket?  If so only downside is that you'd be hanging around from when you drop her off until the gates open Wednesday morning.

12 minutes ago, Sue12 said:

My niece has just texted to say she’s got a volunteering place with Oxfam - if we gave her a lift on the Tuesday would we get any sort of priority parking/skip some queues etc? Any advice appreciated - thanks 

She can request a (free) parking pass from Oxfam.

Assuming nothing moves this year, that would put her (and therefore you) in one of the Purple car parks - most likely Purple 1 or 4, which are relatively close to Gate B. Staff parking passes (unlike the public ones) are car park specific so you wouldn't be able to use it to go over to the West side. You also wouldn't be able to skip the gate queue, though you'd be parked a bit closer than most public will be and probably a bit earlier.

19 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yep - Boomtown was a toughy. Loads of casualties in Woodlands (ket) to the point where I was calling in the medical team to cart them off so many times that I just started telling peeps that they were on their own if they carried on. Then the takedown crew were a bunch of c**ts and kept driving at us until we let them out in downtown even though we were told to keep it clear for punters leaving. Grassed them up to the site manager and he kicked a whole team of them out in the end. One delivery lorry got stuck in mud in downtown and showered the whole market with mud trying to motor his way out of it. All good fun though :)

yep - got G tix so see you at the meet as usual son.

Crew, especially crew working directly for the festival rather than another agency, can be the worst to deal with.

2 hours ago, Pipine said:

For $15 a month, I'd be tempted to spend a ~tenner, and hope I only needed one months worth.