Volunteering 2020

DJL

5 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

yes it should be although they only require 400 volunteers and I reckon it will be a mad scramble

shifts may be { although these are 2019 details }

- 3 days x 8 hours or
- 4 days x 6 hours or
- 2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours

Training sessions have previously been held in London and Sheffield.

just glad I don't have to hunt for a place.

So sorry to see that lots did not make it today.

someone mentioned something earlier about Shelter volunteers having to go to the festival on their coach? 

Ive also heard bad things about managers being arseholes... ? All taken with a pinch of salt obviously 

54 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Never give up and give yourself the flexibility. If youre prepared to give over your Oxfam details I can also keep glued to the Oxfam spots as they become available again - draft in all the help with the minimal risk you feel comfortable with

Thanks very much FF, the daft thing is ive been on this forum many years and seen the success at later stages many times over ... but strangely have never been quite so involved in it all .... ive hit myself over the head and im back up again .... I will pm you :) 

23 hours ago, Havors said:

Great info thanks! Any idea what times the shifts are?? I presume they are set times? I think ideally for me I would be looking for something early on the wed morning and then something mid afternoon/ early evening thursday? That way I could enjoy the opening wed night which is the best time of the whole festival for me. 

Shifts are:
8am - 4pm
4pm - Midnight
Midnight - 8am

On the Wednesday, some shifts will start earlier than 8am. It should be easy for you to get Wednesday 8am to 4pm as it's the busiest shift of the weekend.

19 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Thanks for all that it does sounds pretty good! out of interest when was your 3rd shift?

And if you go as a couple and queue up for shifts together do you get the same ones?

My pattern was:
Wednesday 4pm to Midnight
Thursday 8am to 4pm
Saturday 8am to 4pm

This means I had only an 8 hour gap between shifts, but it was my own choosing to do it this way in order to get two shifts out the way early on. I agreed to work until midnight on Wednesday, in exchange for the cushty shift times on Thursday and Saturday.

Queueing as a couple, we were able to choose the same shifts at the same gates (subject to 2 spots on each shift still being available of course).

3 hours ago, incident said:

For those who won't spot it, this was posted on Facebook and gives some (potentially scary) context -

image.png.58f9785df9583454c8a4b6d33f0efa7c.png

Wow. I'd presumed they only had a small amount this morning seeing as they went so quickly. Seeing half the allocation go that quickly is as you say scary. 

Last year was the first in a while when I didn't get a regular ticket. Had a great time with Oxfam instead and thought it would be a relative breeze this morning (particularly as last year the only issue was the payment screen taking six lots of deposit off me). How wrong could I be. Brutal. 

Have we reached peak Glastonbury yet? Surely it can't get even more popular? 

Got my Oxfam place today 👍 made up and can't believe how quick they sold out. I logged in , refreshed my mobile and selected Glastonbury vat the same time my best mate said texted me "sold out" and he missed out but his girlfriend got in aswell.

31 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Wow. I'd presumed they only had a small amount this morning seeing as they went so quickly. Seeing half the allocation go that quickly is as you say scary. 

Last year was the first in a while when I didn't get a regular ticket. Had a great time with Oxfam instead and thought it would be a relative breeze this morning (particularly as last year the only issue was the payment screen taking six lots of deposit off me). How wrong could I be. Brutal. 

Have we reached peak Glastonbury yet? Surely it can't get even more popular? 

Concerns me for the resale to be honest, as well as Festaff (I didn't get through today)

25 minutes ago, Havors said:

someone mentioned something earlier about Shelter volunteers having to go to the festival on their coach? 

Ive also heard bad things about managers being arseholes... ? All taken with a pinch of salt obviously 

All volunteers must travel to and from the event on Avalon Bars provided coaches.Avalon Bars coaches will be departing to Glastonbury during the day on Tuesday from various departure points around the country, including Bristol, London and Sheffield. { 2019 }

They do that so they can process people a lot faster.Although I am sure that some of their regular volunteers can get round the Coach restriction }

----------

Although the main person will be the Tent Manager there is lots of ' line Managers ' and I suspect that is a paid job - have not a clue where they come from but the Tent Manager will be a Personal Licence Holder { APLH } although all the Managers under him/her don't have to be APLH.

its the luck of the draw - some you win - some you lose

most of the Tent Manager's I actually know as they used to be in the WBC  ' and some are still speaking to me ' and some have been doing it 20+ years but its unlikely I know many ' line Managers ' as they tend to come and go.

its certainly not a reason why anyone should not try it

I also know people { some on efest } who have been with Avalon as Volunteers and overall its a positive experience.

With the WBC I will work 6 days with them although I am lucky as I can set up my own team shifts so can give people a choice as to when they wish to work but with Avalon its far more rigid.

Avalon have a nice camp { first used by the WBC in 1986 } although that does tend to move about a bit.

If I did not have my WBC place I would certainly work for Avalon {when they formed they offered me a Tent Manager Job but I will stick with the WBC until I retire}   

58 minutes ago, Havors said:

Shelter volunteers do indeed have to travel on their coaches, from London, Sheffield or Bristol.

Managers are usually fine, some are not so good but more often due to being a bit lazy/disinterested as oppose to actually arseholes.

(Source: I've done it with them multiple times)

EDIT @glasto-worker beat me to it 😂, but I would definitely echo his point of it being a positive experience

Edited by waltere

I completely missed the oxfam volunteering and forgot to sign up - when I try to sign up it makes me choose a festival that isn’t sold out. Can I not create a new account now and register interest in glasto incase of cancellations etc? Or do I just keep checking back on the festivals bit and hope it doesn’t say sold out one day? I assume they get some cancellations! Do people get notified of this or do you just check back on the off chance some free up?

Edited by PaulKav

8 minutes ago, PaulKav said:

I completely missed the oxfam volunteering and forgot to sign up - when I try to sign up it makes me choose a festival that isn’t sold out. Can I not create a new account now and register interest in glasto incase of cancellations etc? Or do I just keep checking back on the festivals bit and hope it doesn’t say sold out one day? I assume they get some cancellations! Do people get notified of this or do you just check back on the off chance some free up?

best place for info is the fb page ... small amounts go back on with no announcement also larger batches will become available with an announcement at resale time ... search oxfam festival chat on there ...  theres multiple posts on the same subject today 

Edited by crazyfool1

Hi. I lurked around efestivals forum last year and got a place for oxfam a week before so don’t give up hope. I also got an atypical shift pattern with two early shifts so was very happy with that. This morning was more brutal than ticket day. I will have a chance to volunteer with my trade union for WBC. Does anyone know how the campsite compares to the Oxfam one? 

My late spot came up on a Sunday afternoon. I was just browsing Efestivals when somebody said spots were up. I had given up on Glastonbury and hasn’t booked leave. I got a space and spent a week frantically trying to arrange cover at work I tempted to book leave now just in case and to get into the habit of checking oxfam several times a day. Perhaps every time I make a brew at work. 

Edited by Lisanextdoor
Spelling error

22 minutes ago, PaulKav said:

I got my Glastonbury 2019 Oxfam place 10 days before the festival started. I was randomly refreshing the page on Sunday in work and it just popped up, the following Monday I was there , so don't give up 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lisanextdoor said:

My late spot came up on a Sunday afternoon. I was just browsing Efestivals when somebody said spots were up. I had given up on Glastonbury and hasn’t booked leave. I got a space and spent a week frantically trying to arrange cover at work I tempted to book leave now just in case and to get into the habit of checking oxfam several times a day. Perhaps every time I make a brew at work. 

thanks for that ... cant answer your question but welcome to posting :) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I got my Glastonbury 2019 Oxfam place 10 days before the festival started. I was randomly refreshing the page on Sunday in work and it just popped up, the following Monday I was there , so don't give up 👍

Hi @gazzared. It might have been your post that led me to get the ticket. I think we met briefly one morning in Oxfield before being sent off to different gates. Seem to remember you had just got a dog not long before the festival. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Any thoughts on timings of these little unannounced reworking options ? have they always been during office hours ... looking at today that would be the logic I would be working with ... or is it another there is no pattern ? :) 

No pattern, I noticed last year they'd become available about 8:45 some random weekday morning, and CG managed to text/phone LG and she managed to get a place, so it can be done , but it was a totally random check .

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lisanextdoor said:

Hi @gazzared. It might have been your post that led me to get the ticket. I think we met briefly one morning in Oxfield before being sent off to different gates. Seem to remember you had just got a dog not long before the festival. 

Yep that was me , yeah Thursday early turn I got lucky helping to deliver tea and coffee. It was brilliant. Did you stay in the Oxfam field for that shift ?

My dog Billy 👍😂

IMG_20191226_210535.jpg

20 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Yep that was me , yeah Thursday early turn I got lucky helping to deliver tea and coffee. It was brilliant. Did you stay in the Oxfam field for that shift ?

My dog Billy 👍😂

IMG_20191226_210535.jpg

Aw Lovely Billy. Our dogs are 14 and16 so hard to leave them but we have a great dog grandad to help. I think I got sent to Michael Eavis’s gate that shift so it was quiet but got to see ME a couple of times. Probably better than just hanging around the Oxfield. Will keep checking in for spaces with oxfam and try the resale. Are you going again this year?