Volunteering 2020

DJL

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Interesting! None of them are bad, but I think I'd be happiest with shift pattern A, personally.

Until you end up at Maceo's/Block 9 Tuesday night crew party :danced:

23 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Interesting! None of them are bad, but I think I'd be happiest with shift pattern A, personally.

I don’t think so. Helps me slow down with the drinking and pace myself.  
I thought it was worth posting so people know what they are getting into.  Unfortunately it’s luck of the draw and you only find out what you have on arrival. Also tricky to swap as you have to swap all three shifts and few want to swap.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, MrZigster said:

I'm the same at work. Amazes me how much effort some people put into skiving when it would be easier for them to cover their arses by just doing their job properly. Wish I could say the same for home, I guess I've less to lose.

What's so good about Bearded?

Why did you not go back to Boomtown?

Did you get a Glasto ticket?

Hope you don't mind be asking but, do you have a full time job? If so, how on earth do you fit all of these into your annual leave?

Bearded is relatively small and easy to work and has a dependable line up. Also know the crew there well. Plus save a days leave due to Bank Holiday Monday after.

Bearded is a firm favourite here. My other half works in the school there.

2018 was a mare getting in and I think they learnt from the experience.  It took us over 7 hours to get on site on the Thursday from house to camper pitch And normally takes 3.  I think a lorry had hit the quirky bridge or something.  Missed every band.

love the place though. Best value festival there is.  The real ale offering is always superb and keenly priced.

4 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Sorry slow to reply, I was away doing, erm, something.

Denying that it's the second is made harder by me occasionally having to carry medium sized amounts of dollars out of the country with me as well...  My mother-in-law has suggested I might be up to no good, but the reality is much more prosaic. Buy me a drink some time and I'll tell you all about it.

Ah, sizeable amounts of dollars. Ideal for a the greasing of palms (baksheesh), and corrupting government officials. I can see that I'm going to have to re-appraise my thoughts on what you do. It is now glaringly obvious, to me, that you travel to far off climes to exploit their minerals and resources. I have no doubt, at all, that shady foreign registered companies, and foreign tax havens are used. I should imagine that funds travel through Panama at some stage or other. Oh yes, I can see it all clearly now. 

If I meet you, then I will indeed buy you a drink, and then you can confirm to me that my mental machinations are 100% correct. Or not, as the case may (and I say that with considerable reservation) be.

8 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Bearded is a firm favourite here. My other half works in the school there.

2018 was a mare getting in and I think they learnt from the experience.  It took us over 7 hours to get on site on the Thursday from house to camper pitch And normally takes 3.  I think a lorry had hit the quirky bridge or something.  Missed every band.

love the place though. Best value festival there is.  The real ale offering is always superb and keenly priced.

I've known one of the teachers there for years... ;)

4 hours ago, Sku said:

Last year they closed applications after about 45 minutes. However I'm guessing it might be even faster this year.

There were no website crashes, it was a simple process. We had not totally decided that we were going to do it or not when the applications first went live, so we weren't that fast filling the forms out.

I put my application in about 20 minutes late, and was contacted the next day with news that I was successful. My partner put her application in after about 10 minutes after me, and was contacted 3 days later with the news she was unsuccessful.

It seemed like a big setback, but Festaff were in the end able to accommodate both of us, after somebody else dropped out. 

Everybody has to do 1 shift on Wednesday and 1 shift on Thursday. These are the main arrival days and the bulk of the Festaff workload, so everybody mucks in. Only the 3rd and final shift is (usually) during the show days, but it will be extremely quiet, as Festaff deal with wristbanding first time arrivals.

Shifts are allocated on a first come first serve basis. The queue for shift allocation took hours last year, but this is because they take the time to make sure you end up with a shift pattern you are happy with. Even though the long queue was a pain, I was glad they did it this way, as I was able to negotiate shifts which I liked. You can skip queuing if you don't care which shifts you are given.

I really enjoyed my shifts with Festaff. The first 2 shifts were busy, so the time went by quick. And nothing can beat wristbanding people when they first arrive at the festival. Everyone is so excited to receive their wristband, so it's difficult to have a bad time doing it. The time it takes to slide the band on, and clamp it in place allows for some pleasant small talk with the punters.

Thanks for all that it does sounds pretty good! out of interest when was your 3rd shift?

And if you go as a couple and queue up for shifts together do you get the same ones?

2 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Me too, I dread to think what will happen if only one of us is lucky in the morning!

I really hope that doesn't happen!  It might lead to a stressful few months waiting for drop outs.  Let's pray we manage to get through. I'll be interested to see who gets lucky tomorrow. x