Volunteering 2020

DJL

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve set up the oxfam watts app alert group hope I’ve got everyone ... please pm me if I didn’t or if you want to get alerted to it going live ... I had to clear my inbox as I had a few requests and think I might have missed one or two @Beerqueen have I got you on there ? 

I've got it - thanks mate

41 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve set up the oxfam watts app alert group hope I’ve got everyone ... please pm me if I didn’t or if you want to get alerted to it going live ... I had to clear my inbox as I had a few requests and think I might have missed one or two @Beerqueen ( cancel that BQ just seen you on there im not used to peoples non efest names ) 

sent you a pm..

1 minute ago, Bovla said:

Thanks for setting up the group @crazyfool1 fingers crossed for tomorrow! 

I'm in Boston so it will be verrrry early for me. When do you all think I should be up and checking the group to be sure?

I'd guess from 10am onwards.

It might be later or it might be earlier though.

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Agreed that it’s a bit shit but I’m pretty keen for a place with them as I’m guessing the main part of the shifts will be completed before the show days start. 
Charm x

They are my back up after Oxfam for sure. Need to get to the farm by any means necessary. 

I've been trying to find out more info regarding what the shifts are like and how the team vibe is in general with them to no avail. Water aid application went in but I hold out no hope for that as I hear the spots are always taken by regular volunteers unless you want to clean the long drops.... haha

So.... 3 chances left.... Oxfam... Festaff and the resale! 

Just now, Funkyfairy! said:

@crazyfool1 do you know if its possible for others to help out tomorrow. I am free if anyone needs help with Oxfam - not sure what the scoop is re assisting

its for people to log into accounts and pay so in reality yes if someone was unavailable to do it ... and you had the account logins ... all it is is select the festival and pay ... so its about finding someone to login for ? as I dont know what effect people logging in twice would have 

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

not sure what the scoop is re assisting

You'd need the persons username, password, and card number.

It'd also be possible to put it on your own card and pay back, but I'd be careful doing that as the deposit refund will get refunded to the same account after the festival so there'd need to be ongoing trust on both sides.

Just now, incident said:

You'd need the persons username, password, and card number.

It'd also be possible to put it on your own card and pay back, but I'd be careful doing that as the deposit refund will get refunded to the same account after the festival so there'd need to be ongoing trust on both sides.

Fair enough and thanks for the info - was just putting it out there to see but sounds as if it may cause more issues, unless someone knows someone super well to log on , take card etc .

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve set up the oxfam watts app alert group hope I’ve got everyone ... please pm me if I didn’t or if you want to get alerted to it going live ... I had to clear my inbox as I had a few requests and think I might have missed one or two @Beerqueen ( cancel that BQ just seen you on there im not used to peoples non efest names ) 

Done! Very grateful that you have done this!! 

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Fair enough and thanks for the info - was just putting it out there to see but sounds as if it may cause more issues, unless someone knows someone super well to log on , take card etc .

I would be very grateful for a helping hand, happy to DM you via Messenger if that's okay? :girlwink:

On 1/30/2020 at 11:38 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think that I've got this all figured out now, and I reckon it's between two occupations. You're either an astronaut, or a drug smuggler working for Mr. Big. Go on, which one is it?

Sorry slow to reply, I was away doing, erm, something.

Denying that it's the second is made harder by me occasionally having to carry medium sized amounts of dollars out of the country with me as well...  My mother-in-law has suggested I might be up to no good, but the reality is much more prosaic. Buy me a drink some time and I'll tell you all about it.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks for this, just DM'd you.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

DM from me too - thanks in advance !

1 hour ago, Havors said:

They are my back up after Oxfam for sure. Need to get to the farm by any means necessary. 

I've been trying to find out more info regarding what the shifts are like and how the team vibe is in general with them to no avail. Water aid application went in but I hold out no hope for that as I hear the spots are always taken by regular volunteers unless you want to clean the long drops.... haha

Never worked for them, but we (Oxfam) work along side them.

Generally seem like a pretty nice and chilled bunch. Couple of the festaff supervisors I've had to deal with have been a bit up themselves but that's not really to do with Fesstaff. To be honest, a handful of Oxfam supervisorsb I've dealt with have been a bit up themselves too.

Shifts are better than oxfam in some ways in that they front load the earlier shifts so you are def going to get a couple (maybe even all 3?) done before the weekend starts proper. Very much just a skeleton crew by the Friday. With Oxfam you'll definitely get one shift out of the way, two of you are lucky

30 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Never worked for them, but we (Oxfam) work along side them.

Generally seem like a pretty nice and chilled bunch. Couple of the festaff supervisors I've had to deal with have been a bit up themselves but that's not really to do with Fesstaff. To be honest, a handful of Oxfam supervisorsb I've dealt with have been a bit up themselves too.

Shifts are better than oxfam in some ways in that they front load the earlier shifts so you are def going to get a couple (maybe even all 3?) done before the weekend starts proper. Very much just a skeleton crew by the Friday. With Oxfam you'll definitely get one shift out of the way, two of you are lucky

Thanks. The shifts may not be better for me.... I think the best 2 days of the festival are the wed and thursday! haha 

23 hours ago, Kashkin said:

Does anyone know what the application process for Festaff is like? E.g. is it a fastest finger situation like Oxfam?

Last year they closed applications after about 45 minutes. However I'm guessing it might be even faster this year.

There were no website crashes, it was a simple process. We had not totally decided that we were going to do it or not when the applications first went live, so we weren't that fast filling the forms out.

I put my application in about 20 minutes late, and was contacted the next day with news that I was successful. My partner put her application in after about 10 minutes after me, and was contacted 3 days later with the news she was unsuccessful.

It seemed like a big setback, but Festaff were in the end able to accommodate both of us, after somebody else dropped out. 

5 hours ago, Charm said:

Agreed that it’s a bit shit but I’m pretty keen for a place with them as I’m guessing the main part of the shifts will be completed before the show days start. 
Charm x

Everybody has to do 1 shift on Wednesday and 1 shift on Thursday. These are the main arrival days and the bulk of the Festaff workload, so everybody mucks in. Only the 3rd and final shift is (usually) during the show days, but it will be extremely quiet, as Festaff deal with wristbanding first time arrivals.

Shifts are allocated on a first come first serve basis. The queue for shift allocation took hours last year, but this is because they take the time to make sure you end up with a shift pattern you are happy with. Even though the long queue was a pain, I was glad they did it this way, as I was able to negotiate shifts which I liked. You can skip queuing if you don't care which shifts you are given.

3 hours ago, Havors said:

I really enjoyed my shifts with Festaff. The first 2 shifts were busy, so the time went by quick. And nothing can beat wristbanding people when they first arrive at the festival. Everyone is so excited to receive their wristband, so it's difficult to have a bad time doing it. The time it takes to slide the band on, and clamp it in place allows for some pleasant small talk with the punters.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sku said:

Last year they closed applications after about 45 minutes. However I'm guessing it might be even faster this year.

There were no website crashes, it was a simple process. We had not totally decided that we were going to do it or not when the applications first went live, so we weren't that fast filling the forms out.

I put my application in about 20 minutes late, and was contacted the next day with news that I was successful. My partner put her application in after about 10 minutes after me, and was contacted 3 days later with the news she was unsuccessful.

It seemed like a big setback, but Festaff were in the end able to accommodate both of us, after somebody else dropped out. 

Everybody has to do 1 shift on Wednesday and 1 shift on Thursday. These are the main arrival days and the bulk of the Festaff workload, so everybody mucks in. Only the 3rd and final shift is (usually) during the show days, but it will be extremely quiet, as Festaff deal with wristbanding first time arrivals.

Shifts are allocated on a first come first serve basis. The queue for shift allocation took hours last year, but this is because they take the time to make sure you end up with a shift pattern you are happy with. Even though the long queue was a pain, I was glad they did it this way, as I was able to negotiate shifts which I liked. You can skip queuing if you don't care which shifts you are given.

I really enjoyed my shifts with Festaff. The first 2 shifts were busy, so the time went by quick. And nothing can beat wristbanding people when they first arrive at the festival. Everyone is so excited to receive their wristband, so it's difficult to have a bad time doing it. The time it takes to slide the band on, and clamp it in place allows for some pleasant small talk with the punters.

Great info thanks! Any idea what times the shifts are?? I presume they are set times? I think ideally for me I would be looking for something early on the wed morning and then something mid afternoon/ early evening thursday? That way I could enjoy the opening wed night which is the best time of the whole festival for me. 

1 hour ago, Sku said:

Thanks for the info,  really appreciate it. 
Charm x