Volunteering 2020

DJL

22 hours ago, zico martin said:

I'm only aware of 3 routes in : wateraid, oxfam, festaff. Are there any more then?

Shelter/Avalon Bars is a good way in although not sure when they open

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury

shifts may be { although these are 2019 details }

- 3 days x 8 hours or
- 4 days x 6 hours or
- 2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours

Training sessions have previously been held in London and Sheffield

and All volunteers must travel to and from the event on Avalon Bars-provided coaches.Avalon Bars coaches will be departing to Glastonbury during the day on Tuesday from various departure points around the country, including Bristol, London and Sheffield.

just keep watching Efest as when the recruitment opens there will be lots of posts. 

When I volunteered in 2014 was with Shelter/Avalon - still my favourite Glasto to date :)

We just released an episode on volunteering with guests from the Recycling Team and Oxfam - anyone looking to hear about their experiences can have a listen using any podcast app.

We do mention this thread and all the great information that can be found on eFests.

(Miguel)

• Upvote 2

Just now, GlastoCast said:

When I volunteered in 2014 was with Shelter/Avalon - still my favourite Glasto to date :)

We just released an episode on volunteering with guests from the Recycling Team and Oxfam - anyone looking to hear about their experiences can have a listen using any podcast app.

We do mention this thread and all the great information that can be found on eFests.

(Miguel)

ha ha ... im just listening now was gonna find your link and put it on here :) 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

Just a quick update - I've just checked the priority applications for Oxfam and Glastonbury is still available, so there should still be places available when the general applications page opens.  Good luck !

It's really gonna be like ticket day again isnt it and the chance of me and the wife being successful is slim to nothing! Gotta be in it to win it though eh?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chazwozza said:

Just a quick update - I've just checked the priority applications for Oxfam and Glastonbury is still available, so there should still be places available when the general applications page opens.  Good luck !

There will definitely be places on Tuesday. Even if it could be filled by those on priority they would hold some back as new volunteers are the lifeblood for the long term. Plus they take around 100 campaigners and none of those places were offered in priority. My guess is there will be between 500-1000 places available.  
Anecdotally, some Oxfam regulars avoid Glasto as the shifts are on the perimeter and away from the stages, unlike other festivals.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Anecdotally, some Oxfam regulars avoid Glasto as the shifts are on the perimeter and away from the stages, unlike other festivals.

I'm usually one of them. Try for a Glastonbury ticket first, and it's nice to have a fall back option if I need it. Then go with Oxfam to other festivals that I wouldn't otherwise buy a ticket for.

To clarify that, I've worked Glastonbury a couple times in the past and would have no hesitation signing up again if I'd failed in October. If that happened, I wouldn't try for the resale either as for me the difference in overall experiences isn't enough to worry about.

I do suspect that at some point - maybe as soon as 2021 - working it will become the default option as the extra conveniences become more important to me.

So looking to apply on Tuesday for Oxfam... A few things to check do you need to have updated your full profile yet or just have a login as seems I cannot update my profile yet so I presume that happens later.  Is it full deposit on Tuesday as well?  And from what I can gather it is just basic details, deposit and a reference email address?

Apologies for asking q's that probably been asked lots- I have done a bit of a check on here and Oxfam but think the anxiety of it all is confusing the old brain!

Anyway best of luck everyone trying to get a volunteer role.  I have never done it but think will be good fun.  

1 minute ago, basicminds said:

So looking to apply on Tuesday for Oxfam... A few things to check do you need to have updated your full profile yet or just have a login as seems I cannot update my profile yet so I presume that happens later.  Is it full deposit on Tuesday as well?  And from what I can gather it is just basic details, deposit and a reference email address?

Apologies for asking q's that probably been asked lots- I have done a bit of a check on here and Oxfam but think the anxiety of it all is confusing the old brain!

Anyway best of luck everyone trying to get a volunteer role.  I have never done it but think will be good fun.  

Log in to the account you have already created and pay the £265 deposit straight away. If you manage to do that the place is yours*.

*You get a week or two to complete profile, get reference and register for training.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kashkin said:

Does anyone know what the application process for Festaff is like? E.g. is it a fastest finger situation like Oxfam?

I applied for BST for festaff and it appears to be am application process , you pay a deposit but that doesn't guarantee you have got it. 

You find out in 2 weeks, you also need to do a 2nd camping festival

2 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

I applied for BST for festaff and it appears to be am application process , you pay a deposit but that doesn't guarantee you have got it. 

You find out in 2 weeks, you also need to do a 2nd camping festival

From what I read you need to do a second camping festival to get priority in 2021

5 hours ago, basicminds said:

What March Hare said. But another thing to note, Oxfam's website may crash on Tuesday and the confirmation emails can take a while to come through. There are 2 ways to check you've successfully reserved a place. If the deposit money has been taken from your credit/debit card, you're in. And if you go back and try to add another festival, Glastonbury should have disappeared from the drop down list. If it's there, try again. But if it says 'Glastonbury - Sold Out' then you've probably missed out. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

If anyone is thinking of trying to book 2 or more places with Oxfam tomorrow on the same card, it might be best if you inform your card provider of multiple transactions for the same amount from the same vendor, this happened to me once, fortunately this was in the priority window so we had time to sort it out 

Just now, DeadAmos said:

If anyone is thinking of trying to book 2 or more places with Oxfam tomorrow on the same card, it might be best if you inform your card provider of multiple transactions for the same amount from the same vendor, this happened to me once, fortunately this was in the priority window so we had time to sort it out 

Thats good  advice ... ive also seen a few comments of people whos card gets declined for just 1transaction ... worth having another to hand just in case :) 

To anyone wondering about Festaff applications I’ve copied this from their site. Looks like you need to apply for another event to get in this year. 
Charm x

Invitations to apply will be sent out to those who qualify to apply. Invites are for named person only. You must select a sister event to partner your Glastonbury 2020 application. This must be chosen when you apply for Glastonbury.

Any places that are open to the public will go live on 1st March 2020.

Glastonbury have asked us to take a deposit of £240 in line with their own volunteer guidelines and ticket price. This deposit must be paid on application. The admin fee for this show to just £15 in line with all the other camping shows. £225 will be returned (after both Glastonbury and sister events are completed).

You will be required on site from around 5pm on Monday 22nd June until around 8pm on Sunday 28th June 2020. You will be required to work 3 x 8 hours shifts plus training/set up over 6 days these could be midnight – 8am, 8am – 4pm, and 4pm – midnight. These shifts will be on gate duties and you should get a couple of these out of the way before the main stage fires up!

NB. All those who have supported us at two events (Excluding APE of BST), or more, the previous summer will qualify for an invite and we will select successful candidates from there. If you are lucky enough to be successful this year and secure a spot at Glastonbury with us and complete your sister event also, you will receive an invite for 2021.

No cash/bond will be paid back at the event – any all refunds of bonds will be done electronically post event.

** IMPORTANT **
Linking your Glastonbury application with a sister event:
You must select a sister event to partner your 2020 Glastonbury application. You can link any other event on the Festaff calendar - except the BST Hyde Park or All Points East shows. Once a sister event is selected it cannot be swapped to another event.

Please read all this information carefully.

* All applications must be linked with a sister event.
* You must apply for both your chosen sister event & Glastonbury at the same time.
* You must plan and make your own way to and from the events.
* There is no food allowance at this event.
* You will need to cancel or decline your offer 5 weeks or more before the first day you are required on site in order to receive a refund..
* All deposits will be returned once Glastonbury AND the sister event have been completed. If the sister event is not completed, the deposit and admin fee for both events will be withheld.
* IDs will be checked on arrival to site to concur with details held by Festaff.
* ID must be a current passport, a full UK driving licence, or agreed ID with Festaff Management.
* No ID, wrong ID, person not on list = no festival. No exceptions.
* You must arrive on site between 2pm-7pm on Monday 22nd June. Free staff car park passes will be issued on arrival.
* There will be a staff meeting on the evening of Monday 22nd June that all all staff must attend. Anyone not there for any reason or under the influence will be sent home immediately.
*All volunteer shifts will be allocated on site

A small number of campervans are permitted for volunteers at this event but only with the prior agreement of the Festaff management team. Please email us via contact page with any requests. We will require the make, model, reg, occupancy and size – L, W, H. No confirmation from Festaff, no campervan on site. First come first served.

16 minutes ago, Charm said:

To anyone wondering about Festaff applications I’ve copied this from their site. Looks like you need to apply for another event to get in this year. 
Charm x

Invitations to apply will be sent out to those who qualify to apply. Invites are for named person only. You must select a sister event to partner your Glastonbury 2020 application. This must be chosen when you apply for Glastonbury.

Any places that are open to the public will go live on 1st March 2020.

Glastonbury have asked us to take a deposit of £240 in line with their own volunteer guidelines and ticket price. This deposit must be paid on application. The admin fee for this show to just £15 in line with all the other camping shows. £225 will be returned (after both Glastonbury and sister events are completed).

You will be required on site from around 5pm on Monday 22nd June until around 8pm on Sunday 28th June 2020. You will be required to work 3 x 8 hours shifts plus training/set up over 6 days these could be midnight – 8am, 8am – 4pm, and 4pm – midnight. These shifts will be on gate duties and you should get a couple of these out of the way before the main stage fires up!

NB. All those who have supported us at two events (Excluding APE of BST), or more, the previous summer will qualify for an invite and we will select successful candidates from there. If you are lucky enough to be successful this year and secure a spot at Glastonbury with us and complete your sister event also, you will receive an invite for 2021.

No cash/bond will be paid back at the event – any all refunds of bonds will be done electronically post event.

** IMPORTANT **
Linking your Glastonbury application with a sister event:
You must select a sister event to partner your 2020 Glastonbury application. You can link any other event on the Festaff calendar - except the BST Hyde Park or All Points East shows. Once a sister event is selected it cannot be swapped to another event.

Please read all this information carefully.

* All applications must be linked with a sister event.
* You must apply for both your chosen sister event & Glastonbury at the same time.
* You must plan and make your own way to and from the events.
* There is no food allowance at this event.
* You will need to cancel or decline your offer 5 weeks or more before the first day you are required on site in order to receive a refund..
* All deposits will be returned once Glastonbury AND the sister event have been completed. If the sister event is not completed, the deposit and admin fee for both events will be withheld.
* IDs will be checked on arrival to site to concur with details held by Festaff.
* ID must be a current passport, a full UK driving licence, or agreed ID with Festaff Management.
* No ID, wrong ID, person not on list = no festival. No exceptions.
* You must arrive on site between 2pm-7pm on Monday 22nd June. Free staff car park passes will be issued on arrival.
* There will be a staff meeting on the evening of Monday 22nd June that all all staff must attend. Anyone not there for any reason or under the influence will be sent home immediately.
*All volunteer shifts will be allocated on site

A small number of campervans are permitted for volunteers at this event but only with the prior agreement of the Festaff management team. Please email us via contact page with any requests. We will require the make, model, reg, occupancy and size – L, W, H. No confirmation from Festaff, no campervan on site. First come first served.

thanks @Charm

it's all getting very tense now

So, Festaff charge you £15 for the pleasure of working 24 hours for them? 

There's no charity link either - your work is just making money for a private company.  And you have to make money for the private company at a 'sister' event too?

Plus no food allowance?

It's not for me, this one.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stuie said:

There's no charity link either - your work is just making money for a private company.  And you have to make money for the private company at a 'sister' event too?

Plus no food allowance?

More than £15 - you'd need to pay the "Admin" fee for both Glastonbury and for the 2nd festival.

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Plus no food allowance?

Agreed that it’s a bit shit but I’m pretty keen for a place with them as I’m guessing the main part of the shifts will be completed before the show days start. 
Charm x

I’ve set up the oxfam watts app alert group hope I’ve got everyone ... please pm me if I didn’t or if you want to get alerted to it going live ... I had to clear my inbox as I had a few requests and think I might have missed one or two @Beerqueen ( cancel that BQ just seen you on there im not used to peoples non efest names ) 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3