Volunteering 2020

DJL

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Quick Q on the Oxfam - is it first come first served on Tuesday? and also, do they need an actual CV or do you put that into the application form?

Same for Festaff on Saturday (I won't be at my laptop at all that morning)

no cv just an email address for a reference ... and basic details for oxfam .... and yes on the first come first served .... i mentioned a few pages back im setting up a watts app group to alert people when it goes live and for others if they spot it before ... Anyone interested pm me :) 

• Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:00 AM, dondo said:

I too value my volunteering place and as I have a pretty strong work ethic in my day job and at home whilst Glastonbury is a break from that for me I still apply the same principles in my volunteering.

I'm the same at work. Amazes me how much effort some people put into skiving when it would be easier for them to cover their arses by just doing their job properly. Wish I could say the same for home, I guess I've less to lose.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:50 PM, Pinhead said:

Don't know whether to pick two for Priority or not next year - did a count and looks like I'll have done >10 in the last 10 years in 2021 with Bearded in the bag now for this year:

2011 - Glasto,

2014 - Bearded,

2015 - Bearded and B-Days,

2016 - Bearded and Shambala,

2017 - Bearded and Boomtown,

2018 - Bearded,

2019 - Bearded,

2020 - Just signed up to Bearded again!

They don't forget all these on their database do they or something....?

What's so good about Bearded?

Why did you not go back to Boomtown?

Did you get a Glasto ticket?

16 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

It’s been a good day. On with Oxfam at Bearded, Womad, Boomtown and Shambala. Got tickets for the big G. A great summer is in the offing 😊

very best of luck to those having a go next week. If you approach it as ticket day you will be sorted.

hopefully see some of you guys in a field somewhere...

Hope you don't mind be asking but, do you have a full time job? If so, how on earth do you fit all of these into your annual leave?

20 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Hope you don't mind be asking but, do you have a full time job? If so, how on earth do you fit all of these into your annual leave?

I work full time, and will do Glastonbury, WOMAD, Boomtown and Shambala with Oxfam this year.  For me, my contracted working week is Mon-Fri, 9-5ish, however, the nature of my actual job is that I often have to travel overseas - maybe 10 times a year for a week or two - when I do this, I quite often give up a day of my weekend to travel, if not two. 

The organisation I work for is big on work-life balance and stuff, so they are fine with me taking back these weekend days as time-off-in-lieu, along with the extra time I spend actually working whilst I'm away - it's usually 8am to 7pm typically whilst I'm away - it typically works out that I could take 60+ days off a year (sounds a lot, but it's partly in exchange for around 20 shortened or missed weekends...), but I never take them all, because I'm lucky to enjoy what I do. 

It also happens to be that July and August are quiet for us, and I'm not in the kind of job that needs to be covered all the time, so I don't have to compete for when I can take time off.  Also (and this sounds smug, but whatever), I'm reliable and good at what I do, so I get a good bit of leeway - the work gets done, deadlines get met, I make sure there will be no problems whilst I'm not there.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I'm the same at work. Amazes me how much effort some people put into skiving when it would be easier for them to cover their arses by just doing their job properly. Wish I could say the same for home, I guess I've less to lose.

I'm probably one of the most efficient, organised people at my work. Not because I care about the company or my colleagues or the customers. 

I'm actually really lazy, but I figured out ages ago that getting the job done properly, first time, with no fucking about was by far the easiest way to do it

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Also what about if you want to apply together? Do you apply individually then link up somehow later or is it everyone for themselves?

You will have to apply individually, if you both get a place you can link the applications later to work the same shifts, this may mean you wiill be working in the same place  but it's not deffo

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I knocked work in the head a year or so ago. Back at uni learning something new so I have the time. And you don’t need that much money to do Oxfam 😊 am very lucky

3 hours ago, jfaragher said:

I work full time, and will do Glastonbury, WOMAD, Boomtown and Shambala with Oxfam this year.  For me, my contracted working week is Mon-Fri, 9-5ish, however, the nature of my actual job is that I often have to travel overseas - maybe 10 times a year for a week or two - when I do this, I quite often give up a day of my weekend to travel, if not two. 

Respect - you are lucky but sounds like you work hard and deserve it!👍

• Upvote 2

Yeah tbf you really don’t need much money to do the Oxfam thing: it’s fantastic for students, and people on a limited income. (Like me, working for the NHS 🤣🤣 )

free entry to Glastonbury, free parking, meal vouchers for every shift, access to (cheaper and nicer) staff bars, nice big campsite with lots of room and hot water urns, catering at a very decent price, and car only a five min walk from the campsite so cooking/bringing along food is a breeze. Petrol is the only thing that really has to cost a few quid.
and all for three 8hr shifts!

And I get to raise £250 for Oxfam thru my ‘wages’ being donated to charity: it’s that good, I just don’t fancy going as a punter again. Possibly ever! 

They’ll probably announce it via the fbk page at some point in the morning, with a couple of hours notice or so - that’s what happened last year, and what happened with priority this week as well. 
they went up at 11am last year, I was sorted by about 11.10 but it wasn’t immediately obvious if it worked: if the deposit is removed from your card, it’s definitely got you a place. Emails can take ages to come through and the website doesn’t update too quickly. Good luck! 

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

no cv just an email address for a reference ... and basic details for oxfam .... and yes on the first come first served .... i mentioned a few pages back im setting up a watts app group to alert people when it goes live and for others if they spot it before ... Anyone interested pm me :) 

On the 4th you will only be asked for your festival choices and your deposit. Literally nothing else.

Have your card ready, choose Glastonbury, pay. That’s it - you do that - you are in.

Take a deep breath and go back in for any other festivals you want.

You are not going to be asked for any other details before the 5th because as priority applicants we have already been put off til that date before we can put anything else in. They say they are ensuring that they keep the system operative for registrations in the first instance and not complicating it.

When you do your full application on or after the 5th you’ll need:

* a passport sized photo to upload - it should be a decent head & shoulders shot but you can smile!

* a referee who is happy just to tick half a dozen boxes saying you are honest, trustworthy etc.

* your car registration if you are bringing a caravan or camper van

* the names and dates of birth of people you want to link shifts with. You will need to be clear what names you are all putting in e.g. Mike, Mickey or Michael - they cannot match different versions of the same name - you need to enter the exact name the person has registered with,

* in addition to the above, make sure that the people you want to link shifts with are agreed on whether you are going for regular, early and/or late shifts so you are all asking for the same - otherwise if you want earlies or late shifts and someone you try to link with doesn’t - you definitely won’t be getting them.

* Have your diary handy so you can register for training as soon as you can.

If you don’t get in on the 4th - keep an eye on it - loads will come up over the weeks til the festival. Especially loads come up just after resale when people get tickets and drop out, then just around the refund deadline when people really make a final decision whether they really want to work it.

A surprising amount come up in the last fortnight before the festival too - the people who have last minute illnesses and personal circumstances that change. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DeadAmos said:

You will have to apply individually, if you both get a place you can link the applications later to work the same shifts, this may mean you wiill be working in the same place  but it's not deffo

Thanks - we're a couple so it won't matter if we're working same places, but good to know you can do same shifts as Glasto is our special place so want to spend our downtime together if we get in! 

15 minutes ago, amfy said:

On the 4th you will only be asked for your festival choices and your deposit. Literally nothing else.

Have your card ready, choose Glastonbury, pay. That’s it - you do that - you are in.

Take a deep breath and go back in for any other festivals you want.

You are not going to be asked for any other details before the 5th because as priority applicants we have already been put off til that date before we can put anything else in. They say they are ensuring that they keep the system operative for registrations in the first instance and not complicating it.

When you do your full application on or after the 5th you’ll need:

* a passport sized photo to upload - it should be a decent head & shoulders shot but you can smile!

* a referee who is happy just to tick half a dozen boxes saying you are honest, trustworthy etc.

* your car registration if you are bringing a caravan or camper van

* the names and dates of birth of people you want to link shifts with. You will need to be clear what names you are all putting in e.g. Mike, Mickey or Michael - they cannot match different versions of the same name - you need to enter the exact name the person has registered with,

* in addition to the above, make sure that the people you want to link shifts with are agreed on whether you are going for regular, early and/or late shifts so you are all asking for the same - otherwise if you want earlies or late shifts and someone you try to link with doesn’t - you definitely won’t be getting them.

* Have your diary handy so you can register for training as soon as you can.

If you don’t get in on the 4th - keep an eye on it - loads will come up over the weeks til the festival. Especially loads come up just after resale when people get tickets and drop out, then just around the refund deadline when people really make a final decision whether they really want to work it.

A surprising amount come up in the last fortnight before the festival too - the people who have last minute illnesses and personal circumstances that change. 

So are there set dates for the applications after the resale etc or do they just come up randomly? 

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

So are there set dates for the applications after the resale etc or do they just come up randomly? 

Totally random - but be extra alert just after ticket resale day & about 6 weeks before the festival which is deposit refund deadline day.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jfaragher said:

The organisation I work for is big on work-life balance and stuff, so they are fine with me taking back these weekend days as time-off-in-lieu, along with the extra time I spend actually working whilst I'm away - it's usually 8am to 7pm typically whilst I'm away - it typically works out that I could take 60+ days off a year (sounds a lot, but it's partly in exchange for around 20 shortened or missed weekends...), but I never take them all, because I'm lucky to enjoy what I do. 

It also happens to be that July and August are quiet for us, and I'm not in the kind of job that needs to be covered all the time, so I don't have to compete for when I can take time off.  Also (and this sounds smug, but whatever), I'm reliable and good at what I do, so I get a good bit of leeway - the work gets done, deadlines get met, I make sure there will be no problems whilst I'm not there.

I think that I've got this all figured out now, and I reckon it's between two occupations. You're either an astronaut, or a drug smuggler working for Mr. Big. Go on, which one is it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I'm only aware of 3 routes in : wateraid, oxfam, festaff. Are there any more then?

• Now fully subscribed for 2020.The Recycling Team (litter pickers, etc) is recruited by the Festival. For 2020, those who worked successfully in 2019 will be invited back and thereafter applications will ONLY be taken from people who have been recommended by previous recyclers who should email Fiona.
  • If you have medical, paramedic or first aid qualifications, you can apply to join Dr Chris Howes’ team of volunteers by completing the application on the website www.festival-medical.com.
  • Tent stewards and campsite wardens are recruited from local carnival clubs, parent teachers associations, sports clubs and voluntary groups. Over the past five years the Festival has trained thousands of individuals, has a waiting list of organisations wishing to raise funds in this way and does not anticipate many vacancies.
  • Property lockups are run by different peace and environmental groups, so if you are a member of such a group, you might wish to check if your local branch is involved.
  • If you already volunteer for a charity, you may be able to work at the Festival through them. Check out if they are coming to Glastonbury. Similarly, if you are a Samaritan, you could investigate joining their Festival Branch.
  • Oasis Carnival recruit workers for stewarding/working on the outside of the Festival for people looking to work in exchange for their ticket. You can find more information at www.oasiscarnival.co.uk or e-mail info@oasiscarnival.co.uk.

• Upvote 2