Volunteering 2020

DJL

I dont think there is a chance this year as its been massively oversubscribed. If you wanted to do it in 2021 I would suggest emailing them in the summer & say you would like to work & you would donate all of your ticket/deposit cost ( £260 this year) to one of the nominated recycling charities which is an option that all of us have for as much as you choose when completing the application each year. It might bump you up the queue.

5 hours ago, daclown28 said:

I have a random question that hopefully someone can help with.  I really want to get onto the recycling crew but am aware you need references from people doing it and such, this year is the first year o have tried for tickets and failed. I cant take the stress anymore and want to set my self up for being able to go every year. If I am successful in the resale, and I email the recycling team and ask to be part of that aswell even though I have a paid punter ticket, do you think they would accept me as an extra? I would work and pay, but then have a better chance at next year not buying a ticket and only working.

Always used to be that they'd ask for post festival clean up volunteers during the festival. You'd see flyers go up around the meeting points. Haven't noticed this happening recently though.

If I'm wrong, and this is still a thing (can anyone advise?), maybe you could enjoy the festival and then sign up for that (if you have the time to spare post festival). That would then also (maybe) count as the experience you'd need for volunteering next time.

Edited by MrZigster
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Always used to be that they'd ask for post festival clean up volunteers during the festival. You'd see flyers go up around the meeting points. Haven't noticed this happening recently though.

If I'm wrong, and this is still a thing (can anyone advise?), maybe you could enjoy the festival and then sign up for that (if you have the time to spare post festival). That would then also (maybe) count as the experience you'd need for volunteering next time.

Yes that is correct- that is proper paid work though doing the picking after the festival and can involve a good week or 2 of work (hands on knees picking up every cigarette butt etc.) and isn't really linked to volunteering.

There is volunteering roles for after the festival but that is for the recycling centre only from the Monday to the Thursday.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I knew I took this for a reason .... taken Dec last year on my wanderings of the farm :) 

IMG_5495.jpeg

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Water Aid application made.  I got quite into it in the end and managed to come up with what I hope is a semi-decent blurb. Oh well, at least it's done and I did my best.  Just have to wait and see now.

Thanks to @Johnnysevenand @zico martinfor encouraging me!  Oh and @crazyfool1- hope to see you all there!

Make sure you keep a copy of your essay, it might be useful in future years! You use the same blurb and substitute Wateraid for Oxfam, Shelter, Greenpeace or whoever to apply for other charities!

11 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Wait a sec, I'm just catching up here and seeing people comparing the 4th to ticket day - are Oxfam applications really first come, first served?

Yep.

Then subject to a reference, training session and a blacklist check.

4 minutes ago, zico martin said:

So if the 4th is really like another ticket day, is there a chance that I could get in but my wife doesnt? Could make for some interesting conversations if I 'had' to leave her behind!

There is a fear that the demand will be higher this year than normal, making it more difficult.  Previously, if you were both ready to apply and got in quick, you'd pretty much get a space.  It lasted a while last year.

Of course, there's a possibility that your mrs may get a space and leave you behind too! :-)

2 minutes ago, zico martin said:

So if the 4th is really like another ticket day, is there a chance that I could get in but my wife doesnt? Could make for some interesting conversations if I 'had' to leave her behind!

Yes, there is that chance.  You then have the following options:

1. Give up your place, if you do it quick, you'll not lose any of your deposit

2. Hold your place, keep trying for your wife - some people got places a couple of days prior

3. Tell your wife you've given up your place, have an urgent work trip / just disappear for a bit towards the end of June

9. Pablo Honey

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

There is a fear that the demand will be higher this year than normal, making it more difficult.  Previously, if you were both ready to apply and got in quick, you'd pretty much get a space.  It lasted a while last year.

Of course, there's a possibility that your mrs may get a space and leave you behind too! 🙂

Wasn't it ~20 minutes last year - there were plenty of people complaining that they couldn't get through  etc.  But yeah, if you don't give up, you'll be golden.

1 minute ago, jfaragher said:

Wasn't it ~20 minutes last year - there were plenty of people complaining that they couldn't get through  etc.  But yeah, if you don't give up, you'll be golden.

I thought about an hour but I remember the site kept going down and no one was actually sure what time it opened etc. 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

general consensus between 10 and 11 ... but could be anytime ... keep an eye on the fb page 

But, but, but...... I'm at work at that time.  I can take a few minutes out to try but I don't know that I can watch Facebook for an hour and then try to get through for another hour!  Sob.  But maybe my boss will take pity on me.  Maybe I'll take cake in.  Thing is I might be leaving early that day too to get to Anfield.

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

Make sure you keep a copy of your essay, it might be useful in future years! You use the same blurb and substitute Wateraid for Oxfam, Shelter, Greenpeace or whoever to apply for other charities!

I didn't take a copy and I don't think that I can get back into it now.  I would like to have the bit I wrote about my qualities - there were of course many! - though the other bit was a bit specific to WaterAid.

Just now, Beerqueen said:

But, but, but...... I'm at work at that time.  I can take a few minutes out to try but I don't know that I can watch Facebook for an hour and then try to get through for another hour!  Sob.  But maybe my boss will take pity on me.  Maybe I'll take cake in.  Thing is I might be leaving early that day too to get to Anfield.

I didn't take a copy and I don't think that I can get back into it now.  I would like to have the bit I wrote about my qualities - there were of course many! - though the other bit was a bit specific to WaterAid.

do u need someone to Alert you ... can keep any eye on the page and watts app anyone that needs to be alerted if they need it ?

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

do u need someone to Alert you ... can keep any eye on the page and watts app anyone that needs to be alerted if they need it ?

That would be bloody fantastic.  And obviously deserving of a pint in the fields come June if we are both successful.

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

It's really unlikely you'll get an exact time, and I wouldn't rely on it even being on the hour/half hour - it's deliberately left open ended to avoid everyone hitting the site at exactly the same time and crashing it.

It'll probably still buckle, though.

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

That would be bloody fantastic.  And obviously deserving of a pint in the fields come June if we are both successful.

PM me your number .... and anyone else that needs a hand ... in small print ... I cant be held responsible for missing anything but will do what I can for everyone :) 

1 minute ago, incident said:

It's really unlikely you'll get an exact time, and I wouldn't rely on it even being on the hour/half hour - it's deliberately left open ended to avoid everyone hitting the site at exactly the same time and crashing it.

It'll probably still buckle, though.

I didn't mean it would be on the hour but that I'd have to watch Facebook for potentially up to an hour for the announcement and then keep trying to get through for up to another hour - so I meant I might be using two hours at work just trying to get through.