Volunteering 2020

DJL

1 minute ago, leej7 said:

You can, but it does come with a fee of £20 and it is a little bit of a no no to do so given you're only really using Oxfam as a bit of a stalking horse.

Lots of people cancel their spots. I know a good few people who got cancellation spots in May/June when the deadline for getting your money back runs out. Oxfam arent really bothered as they always fill the places and they get £20 "donations" from the cancellations. 

4 minutes ago, leej7 said:

You can, but it does come with a fee of £20 and it is a little bit of a no no to do so given you're only really using Oxfam as a bit of a stalking horse.

To be honest, I don't think that's a big deal unless it's something you do often. For Glastonbury, they'll have no problem filling the spots even up until the last minute and I'm pretty sure that in the past the team have acknowledged that places may become available after the public resale.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

To be honest, I don't think that's a big deal unless it's something you do often. For Glastonbury, they'll have no problem filling the spots even up until the last minute and I'm pretty sure that in the past the team have acknowledged that places may become available after the public resale.

Yeah from speaking to a few friends who do Oxfam and word on their group chats is that after resale a load usually pop up again, and then when the deadline for being able to get a refund is you get spots popping up again. 

I got my friend a spot last year just after the refund deadline. 

8 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah from speaking to a few friends who do Oxfam and word on their group chats is that after resale a load usually pop up again, and then when the deadline for being able to get a refund is you get spots popping up again. 

I got my friend a spot last year just after the refund deadline. 

I think it's expected, especially with Glasto.

However, Oxfam check all the bookings for matches of previous cancellers and absconders so could potentially reject you if you have a pattern of cancelling after resale day.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I think it's expected, especially with Glasto.

However, Oxfam check all the bookings for matches of previous cancellers and absconders so could potentially reject you if you have a pattern of cancelling after resale day.

Oh yes without doubt they keep a blacklist of people abuse it. 

2 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

The 4th is shaping up to be a stressful day.  Not only Oxfam day but I'm also a Shrewsbury Town season ticket holder and after yesterday's immense performance, next Tuesday is potential replay day!

Well I wish you luck ... but only on the first one I’m afraid ... although it looks like you may have a fair chance in both :) 

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Well I wish you luck ... but only on the first one I’m afraid ... although it looks like you may have a fair chance in both :) 

Ha! Having seen the Shrews play this season, that was a very untypical performance which will probably not be repeated!  But I can dream!

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

The 4th is shaping up to be a stressful day.  Not only Oxfam day but I'm also a Shrewsbury Town season ticket holder and after yesterday's immense performance, next Tuesday is potential replay day!

You'll note I said that I am a Shrewsbury Town season ticket holder - well, I deliberately didn't say "fan" as to be honest I am really a Chelsea fan - which makes the draw for the next round very interesting and the replay next week even tenser!!

Water Aid application made.  I got quite into it in the end and managed to come up with what I hope is a semi-decent blurb. Oh well, at least it's done and I did my best.  Just have to wait and see now.

Thanks to @Johnnysevenand @zico martinfor encouraging me!  Oh and @crazyfool1- hope to see you all there!

Edited by Beerqueen

On 1/4/2020 at 12:48 AM, sirjonnyp said:

If you're a first-timer you are almost certainly going to be cleaning toilets. That said, if you are female you stand a very high chance of getting a she-pee slot as they increase the numbers of she-pees on site. A female friend of mine got she-pees last year and it was her first time. The job is basically showing people how to use to them I think and a lot of sitting around - it sounded much more laid-back than our cleaning shifts. 

Glad I remembered to mention that I know how to use one - you never know it might just do the trick!

I have a random question that hopefully someone can help with.  I really want to get onto the recycling crew but am aware you need references from people doing it and such, this year is the first year o have tried for tickets and failed. I cant take the stress anymore and want to set my self up for being able to go every year. If I am successful in the resale, and I email the recycling team and ask to be part of that aswell even though I have a paid punter ticket, do you think they would accept me as an extra? I would work and pay, but then have a better chance at next year not buying a ticket and only working.

6 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

I have a random question that hopefully someone can help with.  I really want to get onto the recycling crew but am aware you need references from people doing it and such, this year is the first year o have tried for tickets and failed. I cant take the stress anymore and want to set my self up for being able to go every year. If I am successful in the resale, and I email the recycling team and ask to be part of that aswell even though I have a paid punter ticket, do you think they would accept me as an extra? I would work and pay, but then have a better chance at next year not buying a ticket and only working.

Sorry to say but I think all the recycling spaces are full and they are even over compensated with reserve spaces. High demand this year. 

In theory you could pay for a normal punter ticket and still work it but thats a lot of £.  At that point you would be better off returning your normal ticket and working or giving up a space for working if you were not planning on doing the shifts. 

41 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

I kind of think I know where you are coming from on this but she has said its only by recommendations from some one that's been there. You might look at Festaff, Oxfam and Wateraid that have opened or are due to be opened within the next week.

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Sorry to say but I think all the recycling spaces are full and they are even over compensated with reserve spaces. High demand this year. 

In theory you could pay for a normal punter ticket and still work it but thats a lot of £.  At that point you would be better off returning your normal ticket and working or giving up a space for working if you were not planning on doing the shifts. 

It's no more money than a normal ticket. I would just have to work on top. I am planning on doing the shifts , you must of misunderstood me. If the slots are full then I am suggesting that even though I have a paid for ticket (hopefully in the resale) helping them out as an extra so that i can get the reference to be part of the team in future years. I dont know anyone who could give me the reference to do it this year, I'm thinking long game, yea it would be expensive/harder this year but worth it if I dont have to go through ticket day again as I have an in for crew ticket.

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

I kind of think I know where you are coming from on this but she has said its only by recommendations from some one that's been there. You might look at Festaff, Oxfam and Wateraid that have opened or are due to be opened within the next week.

Surely the recommendation is because of people doing a runner or being useless . The fact I would just be offering to work/help out on shifts as an extra and would effectively get nothing in return except a recommendation for next year would at least gain me some favour? I would camp in general and support myself.

44 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

Surely the recommendation is because of people doing a runner or being useless . The fact I would just be offering to work/help out on shifts as an extra and would effectively get nothing in return except a recommendation for next year would at least gain me some favour? I would camp in general and support myself.

By all means you can apply. Theres no harm in asking at the end of the day.

56 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

Depending who you volunteer with that may be a problem as some demand that All volunteers and workers camp in their Crew camp - some camps have their own Security and they check who enters or leaves the camp and it would look very strange if you camped in a crew camp for one or more days and then attempt to move your tent when the public gates open so fully read the terms and conditions before making any deposit.

32 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Depending who you volunteer with that may be a problem as some demand that All volunteers and workers camp in their Crew camp - some camps have their own Security and they check who enters or leaves the camp and it would look very strange if you camped in a crew camp for one or more days and then attempt to move your tent when the public gates open so fully read the terms and conditions before making any deposit.

Yea I understand this, it was said to try and make a point that I wouldn't take any of their resources . Just help them 

Just now, daclown28 said:

Yea I understand this, it was said to try and make a point that I wouldn't take any of their resources . Just help them 

I'd say just give it a go... what harm can asking do.

I would guess that there might be some legal reason why you can't be on site as crew and a punter but that may be wrong.

Or just go with Oxfam?

40 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Recycling crew certainly didn't used to mind where you camp so long as you turn up on time to do your shifts.  One of the 1st years that I did it someone asked that question as he was in general camping with his mates and said did he need to walk all the way up to Tom's field to meet with the team or could he meet them at West Holts (where we were working).  Team leader said that was fine as we didn't do the register until we were there.  She didn't comment either about him not being in crew camping.

Also friends of mine on the crew bring their campervan so have to go in campervan fields and so aren't in Tom's field either

Edited by dondo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daclown28 said:

yea it would be expensive/harder this year but worth it if I dont have to go through ticket day again as I have an in for crew ticket.

If this is the plan, one option would just to be to sign up for any 2 festivals with Oxfam (or anyone else who runs a priority system) this year, do those, and get yourself on the priority list. My guess is that only Glastonbury and The Long Road will be difficult to get places at, maybe Bearded Theory as well, anywhere else should be relatively easy so there's a wide choice of festivals and it can be an excuse to try out ones you'd like to go to but wouldn't buy a ticket for.