Volunteering 2020

DJL

On 12/30/2019 at 12:17 PM, Gnomicide said:

On 12/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, Madyaker said:

^^ I was going to post that. It’s for the full length of the build and the cleanup after so you’d be there for weeks. Might not be suitable for some. 

My daughter did this a few years back for two consecutive years.  She was on site for 7 weeks each time and although she had to work through the festival, she had one whole day off and the shifts were either something like 7 til 2 and 2 til 9 - so still time to get to see some acts and I don't think that different to volunteering shifts.  She had a great time.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I was going to apply for Water Aid but when I opened the application and read the questions I'm wondering if it's worth bothering.  I have had no involvement with the charity (other than chucking a few quid in at Glasto last year) and nothing I can think of to say that I can sell myself - even though I know I am reliable, conscientious and would work hard, everyone will say that won't they?

Sorry to sound so negative and I don't blame Water Aid - I probably will give it a go but have opened it and stared blankly at it at regular intervals since applications opened and have got no further!

I kinda felt the same but applied anyway without any dishonesty, nothing to lose eh? I will however be applying via as many other avenues as I can find also (oxfam & festaff).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I was going to apply for Water Aid but when I opened the application and read the questions I'm wondering if it's worth bothering.  I have had no involvement with the charity (other than chucking a few quid in at Glasto last year) and nothing I can think of to say that I can sell myself - even though I know I am reliable, conscientious and would work hard, everyone will say that won't they?

Sorry to sound so negative and I don't blame Water Aid - I probably will give it a go but have opened it and stared blankly at it at regular intervals since applications opened and have got no further!

Is it possible that the questions are only there to weed out people who don't really want to volunteer and only want to do it to get to the festival? I.e. to dissuade people who are likely to ditch their shifts. Surely there's not a massive wealth of people out there who have Wateraid experience that aren't already on the list for next year? Write some waffle down about how great the charity is, read up on some good things they've done and write a bit about it and hope for the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

Is it possible that the questions are only there to weed out people who don't really want to volunteer and only want to do it to get to the festival? 

To be fair, that it me - though I am prepared to work to do it and I think that's the difference!

18 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

To be fair, that it me - though I am prepared to work to do it and I think that's the difference!

I think if you're willing to put a bit of time and effort into your application then they will see that as indicative of you having a good work ethic and will bring value to them. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, Beerqueen said:

But for Oxfam don't you have to do two or more festivals?  I'm not sure I have enough leave to do that.

You don’t have to if you are a steward. If you are a campaigning volunteer you have to do one more festival over the summer.

If you do two festivals, including at least one as a steward, you are given priority for 2021.

• Like 1

A couple camping next to us in Tom's Field (the WaterAid bit) just did one overnight. They just weren't there on Friday.

No idea why or whether they hung around but to be honest, she fuckin moaned continually about anything and everything.

I just couldn't understand why they were volunteering but I have to say, folk like that were few and far between. Most were really nice people.

One other consideration for budding volunteers. I was in Somerset for the week and camped close to the Tor on Monday and then on site from Tues to Monday.. 

I clocked up 150 miles on foot. A  marathon a day and on about 3/4 hours kip a night. It was exhausting but worth it.

I strongly recommend some good walking boots and getting match fit for volunteering. There were a lot of walking wounded on the Saturday. As it was freezing...

42 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

A couple camping next to us in Tom's Field (the WaterAid bit) just did one overnight. They just weren't there on Friday.

No idea why or whether they hung around but to be honest, she fuckin moaned continually about anything and everything.

I just couldn't understand why they were volunteering but I have to say, folk like that were few and far between. Most were really nice people.

One other consideration for budding volunteers. I was in Somerset for the week and camped close to the Tor on Monday and then on site from Tues to Monday.. 

I clocked up 150 miles on foot. A  marathon a day and on about 3/4 hours kip a night. It was exhausting but worth it.

I strongly recommend some good walking boots and getting match fit for volunteering. There were a lot of walking wounded on the Saturday. As it was freezing...

Wear the boots in as well before you go

Does anyone know if there is somewhere in the oxfam application to detail whether you have done it before?

I haven't for years so not eligible for priority... but was a steward in 2012 (Bestival) and a supervisor in 2013 -I'd hope would help to be able to put in somewhere just so it is clear I can be relied upon to turn up to shifts?

6 minutes ago, DJL said:

Does anyone know if there is somewhere in the oxfam application to detail whether you have done it before?

I haven't for years so not eligible for priority... but was a steward in 2012 (Bestival) and a supervisor in 2013 -I'd hope would help to be able to put in somewhere just so it is clear I can be relied upon to turn up to shifts?

It doesn’t make any difference to who is selected. It’s ticket day basically. Once credit card payment taken the place is yours. As long as references etc are satisfactory, but you fill that in a day or two later.

There is a free text box that the PMs for the site use to decide who gets rota’ed where.  That’s where to put the information you mention.

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

It doesn’t make any difference to who is selected. It’s ticket day basically. Once credit card payment taken the place is yours. As long as references etc are satisfactory, but you fill that in a day or two later.

There is a free text box that the PMs for the site use to decide who gets rota’ed where.  That’s where to put the information you mention.

Thanks, that's 100% fair - though the phrase 'it's ticket day' did raise the anxiety levels a bit higher :)

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

Just checking I'm ready for oxfam ticket day then, is this the page to keep refreshing next week then?

Screenshot_20200126-230916_Chrome.jpg

Yes thats the one , but you sound like you have priority , and there is no rush if you do , the only people who need to be on the ball are the ones applying on the 4th of Feb

3 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

Yes thats the one , but you sound like you have priority , and there is no rush if you do , the only people who need to be on the ball are the ones applying on the 4th of Feb

Not sure I've got priority, I just registered an interest last year. Dont encourage my hope's to be raised!

11 hours ago, zico martin said:

Not sure I've got priority, I just registered an interest last year. Dont encourage my hope's to be raised!

If you haven't done festivals with them before, then you won't have priority*.  Applications for non-priority stewards open on 4th Feb, "mid-morning" - keep an eye on the socials, they tend to do an 'open now' message.  It's then a but like ticket day - the website will no doubt keep crashing, and you'll need a combination of speed a luck to get your place secured.

* Priority opens on the 28th Jan, from the website, amusingly I now qualify under all of the criteria:

To qualify for priority status for 2020 you must have volunteered at two or more festivals in 2019.
Oxfam campaigning or shop roles can count towards this, providing you were a steward for a least one festival in 2019.
Experienced/long-term returning stewards will qualify for priority status, if one of the following applies:

• You have held a supervisor role at festivals for us, for the previous 2 years.
  • You have volunteered for 4 of the previous 5 years and have stewarded at 8 festivals within that period.
  • You have stewarded at 10 or more festivals in the previous 10 years*.

I expect the same will apply for 2021 - do two in 2020 etc

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

If I am lucky enough to secure an Oxfam place on the 4th Feb but then by some miracle I am lucky in the ticket resale in April - what is protocol?

Can I get a refund on my Oxfam spot?

We do hope that you will not need to cancel your place but if you do, you may do so within the 'cooling off' period of seven days at no charge.

Each festival has a 'cancellation deadline' which is 6 weeks, or 8 weeks for Glastonbury, before you are expected on-site. If you cancel a festival after its cancellation deadline, you may forfeit your deposit.

If you do need to cancel your place, the admin fees below will apply:

Cancelling any number of festivals within 7 days of signing up: No admin fee

Cancelling a place at a festival before the cancellation deadline is £20 per festival. (You will not be charged any more than £60 if cancelling more than three)

Cancelling after 6-week deadline but have already successfully attended one or more festivals: Lose half of the deposit.

Cancel after deadline with no valid reason: Lose all the deposit.

Cancel after deadline with a valid reason and you can provide evidence: £20.

To cancel, please email us with 'CANCEL' as the subject heading to festivals@oxfam.org.uk with your details, the festival(s) you wish to cancel and the reason.

12 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

If I am lucky enough to secure an Oxfam place on the 4th Feb but then by some miracle I am lucky in the ticket resale in April - what is protocol?

Can I get a refund on my Oxfam spot?

You can, but it does come with a fee of £20 and it is a little bit of a no no to do so given you're only really using Oxfam as a bit of a stalking horse.