Volunteering 2020

DJL

30 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

She normally sorts the vets out first so they know how many spaces are left & then work through the balance of the applications, previous first & then newbies. My guess is any time from now to mid Feb.

She's working through loads at the minute, it was 22nd January last year but again that was spread out over a week for my group. 

10 hours ago, jaimebionic said:

yeah its def not there, are you a veteran? or did you work last year? i got a normal ticket last year so wondering if that will have put me back down to the bottom of the list.

I have had periods where I haven't volunteered and always managed to get back as a volunteer for the recycling crew as I have always done my shifts.  So as Steve said you won't be at the bottom.

Hi guys, I've got a couple of questions about the Oxfam volunteering. What details do they need for the reference, is it just their contact details? And is the online training something you can do at any time, or is it like a webinar on a set time/date? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Hi guys, I've got a couple of questions about the Oxfam volunteering. What details do they need for the reference, is it just their contact details? And is the online training something you can do at any time, or is it like a webinar on a set time/date? Thanks.

Email address for the reference. Online training is an interactive session at set times, though if realistic to do so I'd recommend attending an in-person session.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Email address for the reference. Online training is an interactive session at set times, though if realistic to do so I'd recommend attending an in-person session.

Thanks @incident, I'm going to be out of the UK until shortly before Glasto, so I guess that'll be too late to attend in person. Will have to make sure I'm somewhere with good wifi for the training!

2 hours ago, rockandnoll said:

Does anybody remember the kind of questions they ask on the Oxfam application?

Nothing too challenging - personal details like name, dob, address and card details.   I think it also asks you if you have a current CRB certificate (not necessary) and other interests.

After you've got your place you add details of a referee.

Nothing like the Wateraid 'what have you done for the charity before and why is it important to you?' kind of questions.

2 hours ago, rockandnoll said:

Does anybody remember the kind of questions they ask on the Oxfam application?

For volunteering it's just name, email address, phone number kind of stuff initially - you should probably have a passport type of photo ready to upload as well.  You  need to be able to pay deposit (same as ticket price) and provide an email for someone to provide a reference.  It's not really an application so much as a "get your details in quick" process.

For shop, there are a bunch of criteria that are listed on the Oxfam stewarding website.  For campaigning, you also have to provide a short video demonstrating what an interesting person you are.

I work for a corporate organisation and we support wateraid , imagine my joy (and equal horror) this morning when the intranet that literally thousands of people look at had an article about WaterAid roles at Glastonbury, and other festivals and saying how employees could apply and could use volunteer days to take a day or two off towards it ,,,, amazing, and all of a sudden people were asking me about long drops (there was a picture of a long drop on the article :-)). Utter joy that a company supports its employees volunteering at festivals, and helps them with time off and horror and that's people aware that may never have thought about it before (seriously all good and if it helps the charity :-)). There was a link on the article to wateraid to apply directly

Edited by Funkyfairy!

Same at my place of work Fairy.

What may or may not be of relevance is that in the past, the WaterAid application had three free text boxes you had to fill in explaining how you intended to change the world etc.

This year, there is only one box where you have to explain how you have been involved with / contributed to WaterAid in the last 12 months.  I may be wrong here but that would appear to indicate that if you have not cleared the shite off a long drop in the past, there is very little scope for making the cut this year.

I may be off the pace there but it wuld seem logical given the volumes of applications they will receive this year.

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I work for a corporate organisation and we support wateraid , imagine my joy (and equal horror) this morning when the intranet that literally thousands of people look at had an article about WaterAid roles at Glastonbury, and other festivals and saying how employees could apply and could use volunteer days to take a day or two off towards it...

My work wouldn't let me take special leave as a volunteer last year. It was deemed that I was "getting something out of it".

Yeah. Sleep deprivation and exhaustion mainly.

Bastards.

12 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

My work wouldn't let me take special leave as a volunteer last year. It was deemed that I was "getting something out of it".

Yeah. Sleep deprivation and exhaustion mainly.

Bastards.

Isn't that the point in volunteering, you're giving something to a charity and yet you are getting something out if it too. To be honest I was lucky last year and got a whole load of volunteer/time in lieu to volunteer and got a fair amount of 'stick' (nice stick) for it being at a festival (until I sent them all pictures of the long drops etc), and so this year for the company to actually actively encourage people to use their volunteer days to work at a festival for wateraid just made me happy, plus it meant I could actually read the article, talk Glastonbury and read the wateraid site and not feel guilty that I wasn't working.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Same at my place of work Fairy.

What may or may not be of relevance is that in the past, the WaterAid application had three free text boxes you had to fill in explaining how you intended to change the world etc.

This year, there is only one box where you have to explain how you have been involved with / contributed to WaterAid in the last 12 months.  I may be wrong here but that would appear to indicate that if you have not cleared the shite off a long drop in the past, there is very little scope for making the cut this year.

I may be off the pace there but it wuld seem logical given the volumes of applications they will receive this year.

Or I presume have contributed in some other way through any water programmes/campaigned etc - I presume they will still take newbies, as long as they have contributed to wateraid. I didn't know the application had changed to thank you for that

59 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Isn't that the point in volunteering, you're giving something to a charity and yet you are getting something out if it too. To be honest I was lucky last year and got a whole load of volunteer/time in lieu to volunteer and got a fair amount of 'stick' (nice stick) for it being at a festival (until I sent them all pictures of the long drops etc), and so this year for the company to actually actively encourage people to use their volunteer days to work at a festival for wateraid just made me happy, plus it meant I could actually read the article, talk Glastonbury and read the wateraid site and not feel guilty that I wasn't working.

We had a global email saying we could get so many special leave days a year for volunteering (not just for Glastonbury)

I only applied for the three days I was actually volunteering.  It's not like I asked for the whole week as special leave. And as we count leave in hours it was only really two shifts worth.

Miserable pedantic gits.

I was going to apply for Water Aid but when I opened the application and read the questions I'm wondering if it's worth bothering.  I have had no involvement with the charity (other than chucking a few quid in at Glasto last year) and nothing I can think of to say that I can sell myself - even though I know I am reliable, conscientious and would work hard, everyone will say that won't they?

Sorry to sound so negative and I don't blame Water Aid - I probably will give it a go but have opened it and stared blankly at it at regular intervals since applications opened and have got no further!

Edited by Beerqueen

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I was going to apply for Water Aid but when I opened the application and read the questions I'm wondering if it's worth bothering.  I have had no involvement with the charity (other than chucking a few quid in at Glasto last year) and nothing I can think of to say that I can sell myself - even though I know I am reliable, conscientious and would work hard, everyone will say that won't they?

Sorry to sound so negative and I don't blame Water Aid - I probably will give it a go but have opened it and stared blankly at it at regular intervals since applications opened and have got no further!

I did exactly the same! As desperate as I am to get to Glasto 50 by any means, I find it difficult to type out a load of waffle proclaiming that I've always had a love for water, I'm a sanitation expert, and I sponsor a remote village in the Congo. My conscience won't allow it 😫 
Also my fear of getting long-drop duty and waking up to find a residual piece of plop on my boot means I am feeling fine about letting my potential Water Aid place go to someone much more deserving. Oxfam for me all the way!

1 hour ago, Gilb said:

I did exactly the same! As desperate as I am to get to Glasto 50 by any means, I find it difficult to type out a load of waffle proclaiming that I've always had a love for water, I'm a sanitation expert, and I sponsor a remote village in the Congo. My conscience won't allow it 😫 
Also my fear of getting long-drop duty and waking up to find a residual piece of plop on my boot means I am feeling fine about letting my potential Water Aid place go to someone much more deserving. Oxfam for me all the way!

But for Oxfam don't you have to do two or more festivals?  I'm not sure I have enough leave to do that.

And yeah, I'm happy to help Water Aid and think they do a very worthy job - but I can't pretend they are my number 1 charity - I support others instead.

19 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

But for Oxfam don't you have to do two or more festivals?  I'm not sure I have enough leave to do that.

And yeah, I'm happy to help Water Aid and think they do a very worthy job - but I can't pretend they are my number 1 charity - I support others instead.

no you dont .... good luck :)