Volunteering 2020

DJL

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Some of these questions are a pain, unsure morally how much it’s ok to lie on them.

Mainly step 3

Please summarise how you have supported WaterAid in the past 12 months.

You can refer to any involvement that you have mentioned above.

if you want to borrow ... use a photo of my hat ... ive got the wateraid logo on it :) .... 

4 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Can I ask a question about the face to face training , I guess this leaves me out of the running as I live no where near any of them palaces and don’t drive .

Does that mean I can’t do water aid, I know oxfam do online training

I had a real issue with attending the training last year - they were very firm with me that I had to be there in person. Ended up skipping a very important meeting for work to attend, to find out that I could have sent a friend in my place to pick up my ticket (they didn't photo-ID me) and listen to the presentations on what wateraid does. I was pretty annoyed about that, and more annoyed to meet people on the farm who had secured last minute slots and not attended face to face training.

I would suggest getting your application in now anyway and if you make it, really pushing it when they announce the training dates in April / May. Feel free to PM me if needed (goes for anyone with Qs about WA.)

Also, fairly sure it isn't a first-come, first served sort of thing. Last year I put my application in about two weeks after it went live, and my mate (who I named on my application as my buddy) only got his in just before the deadline. We both made the cut in the second round at the same time. 

25 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

I had a real issue with attending the training last year - they were very firm with me that I had to be there in person. Ended up skipping a very important meeting for work to attend, to find out that I could have sent a friend in my place to pick up my ticket (they didn't photo-ID me) and listen to the presentations on what wateraid does. I was pretty annoyed about that, and more annoyed to meet people on the farm who had secured last minute slots and not attended face to face training.

I would suggest getting your application in now anyway and if you make it, really pushing it when they announce the training dates in April / May. Feel free to PM me if needed (goes for anyone with Qs about WA.)

Also, fairly sure it isn't a first-come, first served sort of thing. Last year I put my application in about two weeks after it went live, and my mate (who I named on my application as my buddy) only got his in just before the deadline. We both made the cut in the second round at the same time. 

Thanks,  I looked at the dates for the training and the closest is leeds , but checked my work calendar and have pretty much zero chance getting any time of that week.

I live in Sunderland so Leeds is still 2 hour drive , my fault for not expecting it tbh

27 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

The dates are listed on the form as per the image below 

received_481865679373931.jpeg

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

I just got an resounding no from my manager for any time off that week. 

Oxfam next I suppose 

You'll get Oxfam and it's a decent way to do it, in my opinion.

From talking to Wateraid people last year, you don't stand much chance unless you can put something impressive in the application form or you work for a water related company, so it's probably no big loss that you can't get it off.

the timing of the different options clashes. i think it is 

Oxfam - Opens 4th Feb

Festaff - 1st Feb  

Shelter -  early Feb

Wateraid - Open . Result end of march. 

so theoretically if you applied for all of them, you could end up having to choose without knowing which ones you had got. if that makes sense. 

Just now, e_p said:

the timing of the different options clashes. i think it is 

Oxfam - Opens 4th Feb

Festaff - 1st Feb  

Shelter -  early Feb

Wateraid - Open . Result end of march. 

so theoretically if you applied for all of them, you could end up having to choose without knowing which ones you had got. if that makes sense. 

its a bit like the mallets  comp ... you could prove to be lucky ( fingers crossed ) in the resale and then win the comp but the winning entry would be useless as you would have paid off the balance for the tickets in the resale and then be one of the winning entries 

42 minutes ago, e_p said:

Can't speak for the other ones, but with Oxfam you know instantly.

If you apply and it accepts your deposit payment, then you can safely assume that you've got a place.

(subject to you doing the required things of course, but that's all well within your control. oh, and not having previously been blacklisted.)

Edited by incident

Got to add, having applied for WaterAid again this year, one of the massive pluses for me was you are in amongst the festival even when working and the shift pattern was ace. Not stuck behind a bar or out at the perimeter or in a car park. 

I saw every band I wanted to see including all headliners and also had no work at all after 11pm until 6am for the week I was there.

It's horses for courses but for me, even with its faults, it's WaterAid again if it comes up for me.

And , I believe in what they are trying to achieve

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Got to add, having applied for WaterAid again this year, one of the massive pluses for me was you are in amongst the festival even when working and the shift pattern was ace. Not stuck behind a bar or out at the perimeter or in a car park. 

I saw every band I wanted to see including all headliners and also had no work at all after 11pm until 6am for the week I was there.

It's horses for courses but for me, even with its faults, it's WaterAid again if it comes up for me.

And , I believe in what they are trying to achieve

Yea

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

This is one of the best things about loo crew. One of our blocks was on the edge of silver hayes, so when the little venue next to it was on we got to work listening to an old school garage set one day. It was ace. 

54 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I'm also at least a 2 hour drive from any of the training sessions.

I attended as requested and didn't moan about it.

Honestly, there is some right shite millennial dripping on this thread..

I've made my thoughts known about the training session above, so accept that we differ on that (even if it makes me a millenial :D). It caused me a lot of stress in the build up to the festival last year so it's my main bugbear and I do think that they could do it better. I would do loo crew again in a flash, but I live in Australia now and wouldn't be able to attend a training session as well as the festival. Doing it online and having the tickets either posted or collected at box office would solve so many headaches. 

I just took the training session as another excuse to go on the piss 🙂

Trained it to Leeds in the end and just got on it after the training session with a mate. 

i didn’t mean to have a go but just getting a bit rattled with folk seemingly wanting to get a volunteer slot but not put in any effort.  Jeez, London Olympics volunteering took it to another level of faff. I got the train from Manchester one weekend to pick up some Clothing in West Ham. The end...

I used it as an excuse to go on the piss with a mate...

Fair  point about living in Australia. That may be a bit of an ask. 

Edited by Jay Pee

12 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I'm also at least a 2 hour drive from any of the training sessions.

I attended as requested and didn't moan about it.

Honestly, there is some right shite millennial dripping on this thread..

I would do it if I could get off work, Unsure if I was moaning just a bit gutted.

I had looked up travel to Leeds from Sunderland but then got giving a big fat No by work so just one of them things.

13 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I just took the training session as another excuse to go on the piss 🙂

Trained it to Leeds in the end and just got on it after the training session with a mate. 

i didn’t mean to have a go but just getting a bit rattled with folk seemingly wanting to get a volunteer slot but not put in any effort.  Jeez, London Olympics volunteering took it to another level of faff. I got the train from Manchester one weekend to pick up some Clothing in West Ham. The end...

I used it as an excuse to go on the piss with a mate...

I'm liking this guys style.