Volunteering 2020

DJL

1 hour ago, mans24 said:

Recycling has started accepting application via email with the requirement of a recommendation of a previous volunteer. I am interested in volunteering with them however I'm new here and I don't know anyone. If it doesn't work I'll try Oxfam in februrary. 

I was just wondering where you heard about it

Does anyone know if I will have too do another festival with Oxfam or Festaff.

I've been given mixed messages for both and festaff website defintly says I would need to do another festival in 2020. Looking at the festivals that they run it will be pretty tough been from Sunderland and not driving to get to another one but if I have too I would find a way. 

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

Does anyone know if I will have too do another festival with Oxfam or Festaff.

I've been given mixed messages for both and festaff website defintly says I would need to do another festival in 2020. Looking at the festivals that they run it will be pretty tough been from Sunderland and not driving to get to another one but if I have too I would find a way. 

If you done 2 festivals with Oxfam last year then you will get priority this year.  If you don't have priority you still stand a good chance of bagging a place when apps open on 4th Feb.

I believe for Festaff you have to sign up for 2 and only get your deposit back on successful completion of both festivals now.

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

Does anyone know if I will have too do another festival with Oxfam

If you're stewarding - No (though a second festival will get you on the priority list for 2021).

If you're campaigning - Yes (though the second festival can be as a steward, so you're not just limited to festivals with a campaigner presence).

39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Can anyone tell me what the oxfam process is like on the day ?The 4th  Do you register as a group ? Or just as individuals stating thAat you want the same shift pattern ? Is it a rush type situation to get details submitted ? 

First come first served, one person per application.

Select the festival, pay the deposit, and you've got a place. The place is subject to you subsequently providing the necessary information / reference and completing training of course but that's all well within your control and is for another day.

Add any shift partners, car/campervan pass requests, etc later on with the other stuff.

Just now, incident said:

First come first served, one person per application.

Select the festival, pay the deposit, and you've got a place. The place is subject to you subsequently providing the necessary information / reference and completing training of course but that's all well within your control and is for another day.

Add any shift partners, car/campervan pass requests, etc later on with the other stuff.

so no uploading of passport photos on the day ? that all comes later ? 

45 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Can anyone tell me what the oxfam process is like on the day ?The 4th  Do you register as a group ? Or just as individuals stating thAat you want the same shift pattern ? Is it a rush type situation to get details submitted ? 

I believe its a rush (same as for tickets) so prepare your details beforehand, have a logon, and be prepared with your referee details and payment etc - you register as an individual and I think you put anyone else you are with somewhere on the app so you will hopefully get the same shifts. And if you don't get in the first time don't panic, there will be spaces available again after resale (as people drop out) and then random openings again right up until the festival. There are people on here  got places literally 10 days before the festival last time. Good luck 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Correct. You probably will be able to fill our your profile on the day, but there's no need to, you've got at least a couple weeks to do that part.

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I believe its a rush (same as for tickets) so prepare your details beforehand, have a logon, and be prepared with your referee details and payment etc - you register as an individual and I think you put anyone else you are with somewhere on the app so you will hopefully get the same shifts. And if you don't get in the first time don't panic, there will be spaces available again after resale (as people drop out) and then random openings again right up until the festival. There are people on here  got places literally 10 days before the festival last time. Good luck 

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Correct. You probably will be able to fill our your profile on the day, but there's no need to, you've got at least a couple weeks to do that part.

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

If you've not already done so, create an account here:

https://myfestivals.oxfam.org.uk/Account/Register

This will make securing the festival easier and improve your chances.   After that, you'll just need your card details for the deposit.

You'll then have days to add the rest of your information, provide a reference, select training dates etc. *

*If you've done it before, you won't have to do this bit.

On the day, once you login, you'll see this page:

Capture.JPG

Edited by stuie

1 minute ago, stuie said:

If you've not already done so, create an account here:

https://myfestivals.oxfam.org.uk/Account/Register

This will make securing the festival easier and improve your chances.   After that, you'll just need your card details for the deposit.

You'll then have days to add the rest of your information, provide a reference, select training dates etc. *

*If you've done it before, you won't have to do this bit.

and thankyou too .... ive still to convince my friend who might have childcare issues over a longer period of time ....and wife issues equally :) .... I hadn't done that already so will get do it anyway 

and thankyou too .... ive still to convince my friend who might have childcare issues over a longer period of time ....and wife issues equally :) .... I hadn't done that already so will get do it anyway 

And if your friend cannot do it, will you still apply ? Volunteering opens up a whole load of new people to meet and enjoy festivals with - would you go solo ?

• Like 1

Just now, Funkyfairy! said:

And if your friend cannot do it, will you still apply ? Volunteering opens up a whole load of new people to meet and enjoy festivals with - would you go solo ?

its a tough one ... ive done every Glastonbury with him .... im quite split on this ... I can absolutely see the benefits though 

its a tough one ... ive done every Glastonbury with him .... im quite split on this ... I can absolutely see the benefits though 

All I can say is don't miss out on your dream. Its lovely going with the same person , and I was always the same, but sometimes stars just don't align. Is he as Glasto mad as you are ? What happens one year if he can't go due to family/wife/other commitments - would you still go. Whatever you do don't miss out and put all your eggs in the resale basket (unless that's truly the only option you want to follow and from the sounds of it you are open to volunteering. It truly opens up a whole new world, a whole new group of friends and aquaintances and imagine another couple of days on site , staff bars and being able to wander when the festivals not yet on but is all set up :-) And if you're worried about the few days before the festival don't be , we are on site by then and always up for a bar meet up  :-)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

All I can say is don't miss out on your dream. Its lovely going with the same person , and I was always the same, but sometimes stars just don't align. Is he as Glasto mad as you are ? What happens one year if he can't go due to family/wife/other commitments - would you still go. Whatever you do don't miss out and put all your eggs in the resale basket (unless that's truly the only option you want to follow and from the sounds of it you are open to volunteering. It truly opens up a whole new world, a whole new group of friends and aquaintances and imagine another couple of days on site , staff bars and being able to wander when the festivals not yet on but is all set up :-) And if you're worried about the few days before the festival don't be , we are on site by then and always up for a bar meet up  :-)

^^ what FF said.

I first volunteered at Bestival because my mates who I always went with couldn't go (wedding, children, new job etc) but I still wanted to go.  It was a bit daunting and I was out of my comfort zone, especially as I had to get the ferry over to IoW on my own. 

But... it was brilliant.

And Glastonbury is next level.  You get those extra nights at the festival and before gates open, it's so lovely.  And those Monday and Tuesday parties go off!

Not sure why I'm trying to talk people into taking up these precious spaces before I've got one!

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

All I can say is don't miss out on your dream. Its lovely going with the same person , and I was always the same, but sometimes stars just don't align. Is he as Glasto mad as you are ? What happens one year if he can't go due to family/wife/other commitments - would you still go. Whatever you do don't miss out and put all your eggs in the resale basket (unless that's truly the only option you want to follow and from the sounds of it you are open to volunteering. It truly opens up a whole new world, a whole new group of friends and aquaintances and imagine another couple of days on site , staff bars and being able to wander when the festivals not yet on but is all set up 🙂 And if you're worried about the few days before the festival don't be , we are on site by then and always up for a bar meet up 🙂

Glasto mad ... Dont know what you are talking about :) we've done 13 together ... just Glastonburys ... I think id go on my own although it would be out of my comfort zone a little ... I wear the fancy dress to help me chat to different people as sometimes im a bit awkward at creating conversation ... so yes it would be good for me ... thanks plenty to ponder and great advice as ever 

Just now, Havors said:

So where/what do Festaff steward?? Oxfam seemed to do everything I have seen. 

They will be my second option after Oxfam if not successful. 

Festaff do wristbanding.

Accompanied by Oxfam who check tickets, give pass outs and give out programs.

I think the idea is that there's 2 companies there to stop anything dodgy.

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Festaff do wristbanding.

Accompanied by Oxfam who check tickets, give pass outs and give out programs.

I think the idea is that there's 2 companies there to stop anything dodgy.

ah cool... well definitely be trying if i dont get oxfam spot. 

Wateraid seems a bit wishy washy (pardon the pun haha).... had lots of friends saying its almost impossible to get a spot that is not cleaning toilets. 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im sure thats a completely different discussion :) 

I meant on the part of the volunteers.... so people can’t let in ticketless!