Volunteering 2020

DJL

I got in to the booking pages this year and by 9:07 had bought 6 tickets for mates. Didn’t even try for myself.  I really went into volunteering thinking it was a one off.  Part of that was the Monday arrival. Getting two extra days of festival is pretty cool.

Also didn’t realise how many organisations provide volunteers. 

Edited by March Hare

48 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was thinking about what I'd do if I won a ticket from Waterstones. As nice as it'd be not having to work and miss bands I want to see, I'd genuinely be gutted to miss the Monday and Tuesday.

I'd say cross that bridge if you come to it, to be honest!  I guess they aren't transferable so it would be a bit of a waste not to take them. 

36 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I got in to the booking pages this year and by 9:07 had bought 6 tickets for mates. Didn’t even try for myself.  I really went into volunteering thinking it was a one off.  Part of that was the Monday arrival. Getting two extra days of festival is pretty cool.

Also didn’t realise how many organisations provide volunteers. 

They are really good days too... Even after all those years as a ticket holder, I had no idea there was that many people and that much happening on Monday and Tuesday night.  It was a bit of a revelation, so chilled out, so much space to roam and great parties in Block 9 and Unfairground.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

They are really good days too... Even after all those years as a ticket holder, I had no idea there was that many people and that much happening on Monday and Tuesday night.  It was a bit of a revelation, so chilled out, so much space to roam and great parties in Block 9 and Unfairground.

Going to try to get round them all this year. Didn’t know there was one at Unfairground. This forum really is gold

On 11/8/2019 at 4:24 PM, SecretFish said:

So i presume the volunteering options don’t really appear until the new year? Anyone think differently ?

Yes and No - if you are a new volunteer then its likely to be 2020 but if you are a regular volunteer then places may already be sorted out ' or close to be sorted out ' - My inner circle of volunteers already know I have allocated them a place but I am still sorting though the others - there is no mad rush but by March 2020 I should have let them know. Some on my Team have been with me 25+ Years so they know they are certain of a place.Even for a new Volunteer there is lots of opportunities 'provided they apply at the right time' 

When I first became a Volunteer in 1988 there was No web sites where places were advertised - {The Original Glastonbury Festival Website was not started until 1998} so it was all word of mouth { I had tried to get in the WBC in 1986 but it still took me two years before they accepted me } so these days its dead easy to get a place - always read the T&C's first just so its clear what your agreeing to.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Yes and No - if you are a new volunteer then its likely to be 2020 but if you are a regular volunteer then places may already be sorted out ' or close to be sorted out ' - My inner circle of volunteers already know I have allocated them a place but I am still sorting though the others - there is no mad rush but by March 2020 I should have let them know. Some on my Team have been with me 25+ Years so they know they are certain of a place.Even for a new Volunteer there is lots of opportunities 'provided they apply at the right time' 

When I first became a Volunteer in 1988 there was No web sites where places were advertised - {The Original Glastonbury Festival Website was not started until 1998} so it was all word of mouth { I had tried to get in the WBC in 1986 but it still took me two years before they accepted me } so these days its dead easy to get a place - always read the T&C's first just so its clear what your agreeing to.

Can i ask which team you work for! Its fascinating all the different roles! We generally dont find out until january if we are needed or not! 

6 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Can i ask which team you work for! Its fascinating all the different roles! We generally dont find out until january if we are needed or not! 

I am the Official Organiser of the BWTUC Team - BWTUC {Battersea and Wandsworth Trade Union Council} own the WBC who first started at Glastonbury in 1986.Once I clocked up 25 years I am now allowed to fix my Team shifts and decide where they all work - In the 90's it was common to have 25 on my Team at Glastonbury but next year it will be between 12 and 15 volunteers directly connected to me although I am still working on the full list and where they end up -

Over the years I have done a wide range of jobs { mainly with WBC Production } and even ended up controlling the VIP entry at the Phoenix Festival {1993 to 1997} - Vince Power was in charge of the Mean Fiddler Group and for a few years Vince was in partnership with the WBC hence why I was loaned out to them - really baffled everyone else as they could not work out which bar I was working in when in fact I was in the Mean Fiddler Office dealing with a load of VIP's - the Mean Fiddler is now called Festival Republic {and they are now owned by Live Nation UK}

I have had offers from other bar Operators but I will stick with the WBC.

I just got in at the right time and as long as they still want me I will be there.

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I’d love to bump into you on the mon or tues night onsite next year, GW ?? Your messages are always so comprehensive and info-filled. There’s a book in you 

we should be in the Tow and Hitch (Arcadia Crew Bar) either Monday or Tuesday or both nights - its the only general crew Bar I can reach without getting a lift in a stock transporter due to a artery bypass in my leg so unable to walk far - its a right pain as GFL restricts the hours they can be used and the area they can be used { even when the event has not even started there is still some restrictions } -

One of my Team mates will give me a lift to events but she is not keen on driving to Glastonbury { its not going she worries about - its getting back to London } - we had a Team meeting a few days ago and she is not keen to drive although I will work on her - I can get a crew parking pass for ' car park 35 ' which is next to Gate D { so about a 100 feet walk to the WBC Crew Camp } - the joke is she very rarely gets drunk but she knows  we will be working Sunday Overnight.

## My Main team always works in the WBC crew bar and our two busy nights are Tuesday and Sunday night even although I did promise her she does not have to work late on the Sunday.##

Our Coach transport is fine but it departs London on the Tuesday at Noon when I prefer to get there either Sunday or Monday.Anyway I still have months to convince her.

If its the Tuesday night we will have to leave the Tow and Hitch by 11pm as there will be a WBC Crew party at Midnight. 

I am the one in the middle {Tow and Hitch 25/6/2019} and happy to meet anyone from efest just as long as they are not after a free drink {Tow and Hitch is not connected to the wbc } 

so are you with Oxfam ? as I do know some of them as we did some work for them in 2018 and was amazed at how many were in efest.

46896128.thumb.jpg.b34f0d83ee2d9662badfafb4002eac79.jpg

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

we should be in the Tow and Hitch (Arcadia Crew Bar) either Monday or Tuesday or both nights - its the only general crew Bar I can reach without getting a lift in a stock transporter due to a artery bypass in my leg so unable to walk far - its a right pain as GFL restricts the hours they can be used and the area they can be used { even when the event has not even started there is still some restrictions } -

I am the one in the middle {Tow and Hitch 25/6/2019} and happy to meet anyone from efest just as long as they are not after a free drink {Tow and Hitch is not connected to the wbc } 

I have a regular ticket however I intend to work the festival for FMS, that being the case I’ll come across to see you Monday or Tuesday, and I’ll buy you a drink! ? 

5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I have a regular ticket however I intend to work the festival for FMS, that being the case I’ll come across to see you Monday or Tuesday, and I’ll buy you a drink! ? 

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Yep, I’ll be with oxfam, and I’m very much not after a free drink ??? Id just like to thank you for all your pics and info on here, it’s very much part of my festival routine now! 

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I think exactly the same - - defo meet up on the Mon or Tue next year, Efests volunteer meet up ?

well that will be interesting  - no need to buy me a drink as I am very slow drinker - I gave up heavy drinking on Thursday 28 November 1974 { it was my 21st Birthday and I have never been drunk since then. 

I am the guy who Liam Gallagher tried to get sacked at Reading festival in 2000 !!!!!!

We were working in the guest bar # which was still being set up so was not officially open # when Liam Gallagher and two of his mates strolled in and asked me for 3 Pints - I explained that the Bar was still being set up # and we were waiting for power # but did say they could have a can or bottle - at that he said something like - ' don't you know who I am ? ' and I replied back something like ' I don't give a Fuck who you are - I cant Pour any drinks as we don't have any power ' - that must have upset him as he screamed ' I am going to get You sacked ' and he and his mates left - I later found out he had tried but was told that was not possible - later on Noel Gallagher came in to apologise for his Brother which I thought was very nice of him.  

I found out later from the Tent manager { the person in charge of that bar } that all weekend he refused to come in if I was on Duty - sadly that is before we had any overhead CCTV in the bars so there is no video of it.

https://youtu.be/YDTisX_zWIY

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

well that will be interesting  - no need to buy me a drink as I am very slow drinker - I gave up heavy drinking on Thursday 28 November 1974 { it was my 21st Birthday and I have never been drunk since then. 

I am the guy who Liam Gallagher tried to get sacked at Reading festival in 2000 !!!!!!

We were working in the guest bar # which was still being set up so was not officially open # when Liam Gallagher and two of his mates strolled in and asked me for 3 Pints - I explained that the Bar was still being set up # and we were waiting for power # but did say they could have a can or bottle - at that he said something like - ' don't you know who I am ? ' and I replied back something like ' I don't give a Fuck who you are - I cant Pour any drinks as we don't have any power ' - that must have upset him as he screamed ' I am going to get You sacked ' and he and his mates left - I later found out he had tried but was told that was not possible - later on Noel Gallagher came in to apologise for his Brother which I thought was very nice of him.  

I found out later from the Tent manager { the person in charge of that bar } that all weekend he refused to come in if I was on Duty - sadly that is before we had any overhead CCTV in the bars so there is no video of it.

https://youtu.be/YDTisX_zWIY

Shouldn't this be in the TOOL thread?

19 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I am the Official Organiser of the BWTUC Team - BWTUC {Battersea and Wandsworth Trade Union Council} own the WBC who first started at Glastonbury in 1986.Once I clocked up 25 years I am now allowed to fix my Team shifts and decide where they all work - In the 90's it was common to have 25 on my Team at Glastonbury but next year it will be between 12 and 15 volunteers directly connected to me although I am still working on the full list and where they end up -

Over the years I have done a wide range of jobs { mainly with WBC Production } and even ended up controlling the VIP entry at the Phoenix Festival {1993 to 1997} - Vince Power was in charge of the Mean Fiddler Group and for a few years Vince was in partnership with the WBC hence why I was loaned out to them - really baffled everyone else as they could not work out which bar I was working in when in fact I was in the Mean Fiddler Office dealing with a load of VIP's - the Mean Fiddler is now called Festival Republic {and they are now owned by Live Nation UK}

I have had offers from other bar Operators but I will stick with the WBC.

I just got in at the right time and as long as they still want me I will be there.

Great to see some real world examples. I presume you wouldn’t really know what it’s like to be an average punter!?

4 hours ago, SecretFish said:

Great to see some real world examples. I presume you wouldn’t really know what it’s like to be an average punter!?

I do as I went to Glastonbury 1979/1981/1982/1983/1984/1985/1986/1987 as a Punter - have all the tickets but can only find Punter wristbands between 1983 to 1987 although not sure if I was issued one for 1981/1982 - 1979 I was issued a guest ticket as I was connected to one of the Bands although there was no specific guest/band camping area at that time.

But it is true I have no idea about current ticket buying in a nanosecond as all my paper tickets were bought face to face at CND HQ - No way would I go though all the stress of trying to buy a ticket Now - 

its changed so much - as you can see from the bottom photo - that is backstage at the Pyramid - my friend and I just walked into that field as we wanted a shot by the helicopter  - no special pass and certainly No security or a fence - Health and Safety would never allow that now. 

19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg882601_10151489598553866_927508557_o.thumb.jpg.90f90184fbdfe89aac57d9fab8b63e4f.jpg