Volunteering 2020

DJL

11 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

A lot of smaller charities do do it but how you get on to those charities I don't know how. The team we were on we didn't recognise any one from the previous year except for the Team Leader

Did you get in via one of the charities?

28 minutes ago, Pipine said:

Did you get in via one of the charities?

I was told by one of the litter pickers last year (whose mother had been doing it for many years herself) that the teams are very tight knit - apparently it isn't often that a place comes up. If it's smaller charities as said above, I guess that ties up and it's a case of who you know, rather than applying like for the bigger charities. 

9 hours ago, Pipine said:

What's the deal with litter picking these days? Looks like lots of smaller charities do it? Seem to remember some efesters doing it last year? 

There’s a list of litter picking charities listed on the glasto website. You could probably contact them through social media. But I think people who’ve done it before get priority for places so it might fill up quick

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

There’s a list of litter picking charities listed on the glasto website. You could probably contact them through social media. But I think people who’ve done it before get priority for places so it might fill up quick

The main recycling one you have no chance. We contacted her and the only way you get a spot is if someone on the team refers you... pretty fucking pointless having a website if its just a clique to be honest. 

46 minutes ago, SecretFish said:

A very nice chap from SOS Africa has told me their list is full for 2020

There is maybe this one that I posted about a couple of pages back

image.png.ad6efbeb3336ce03284bf6576a0b2c

I myself have always done it direct with the festival via Fiona as that's how I 1st did it back in 2005 and yes it is only open to those that have done it before or recommendations. I think the latter are dwindling in numbers as more and more go back every year and by having the recommendation/returnee approach less and less people sag it off and get on the blacklist that new spots are rare.  And also with so many hitting veteran status (5+ years) the veteran shifts are over subscribed- I didn't get any of the veteran shifts this year.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dondo said:

There is maybe this one that I posted about a couple of pages back

image.png.ad6efbeb3336ce03284bf6576a0b2c

I myself have always done it direct with the festival via Fiona as that's how I 1st did it back in 2005 and yes it is only open to those that have done it before or recommendations. I think the latter are dwindling in numbers as more and more go back every year and by having the recommendation/returnee approach less and less people sag it off and get on the blacklist that new spots are rare.  And also with so many hitting veteran status (5+ years) the veteran shifts are over subscribed- I didn't get any of the veteran shifts this year.

I understand why people are rewarded for their loyalty. Perhaps missing out on some enthusiastic new blood ?

1 hour ago, Steel city camper said:

If I was to do a bit of volunteering in one of the Oxfam shops does anyone know if this would maybe help towards getting a volunteering spot for the festival?

I’m pretty certain from what I’ve read on the Oxfam festival volunteering website that if you want to volunteer to work in the Oxfam shop on site during any of the festivals they have a presence at, then you need to have least done a minimum of three months work in an Oxfam charity shop somewhere in the UK. This isn’t the case for the other Oxfam festival volunteering roles (stewarding and campaigning) but if you want to try volunteering in the Oxfam shop at Glasto then you should probably start looking for some volunteering work at your local Oxfam shop sooner rather than later as it will stand you in good stead ?

2 hours ago, Steel city camper said:

If I was to do a bit of volunteering in one of the Oxfam shops does anyone know if this would maybe help towards getting a volunteering spot for the festival?

It would help, but it wouldn't be anywhere near a guarantee, and you'd need to do 3 months in the shop and have a reference from the shop manager to even be considered.

22 hours ago, SecretFish said:

I understand why people are rewarded for their loyalty. Perhaps missing out on some enthusiastic new blood ?

it all depends on what the job is - there is some jobs that many can pick up quickly but others where experience counts.  - when I joined the WBC in 1988 I had to do six smaller events to be in with a chance of a Glastonbury place in 1989 and at them I was instructed in the various jobs that take place within a bar { there is a lot more than some would imagine } - as the years roll on I ended up being Team Leader and then Group Organiser and the people who came after were all trained by me so some have been in my Team 20 to 25 years and it does not matter if I am there or not - they will keep on grafting - every five years I will slip in a new person { although they will be vouched by one of my Team so they are not complete strangers } and they will be instructed by the person who vouched for them so they are not tossed straight into the deep end.Everyone has to be Dependable and Honest and after 20 to 25 years they have proved their worth. If any of my Volunteers lose their enthusiasm they will be warned they risk their places at future events.

I know that some will volunteer as a second choice and I know from other Group Organiser's that some of them tend to be the ones who complain over shifts ' even although everyone is in the same boat '

Sure it may be unfair for new volunteers but Experience at least in the WBC does count.

13 hours ago, Steel city camper said:

I worked with oxfam this year i felled on tickets 2018 and on that same disappointing Sunday afternoon sent them a email stating my interest i have never volunteered with them before i then joined there site watched out on line when the applications was released which was in February 2019 getting online was bit like trying for tickets to Glastonbury F5 a lot but got in payed the ticket money and that was it booked up half a days training which all volunteers have to do but i don't think it matters whether you worked there before just join up now with oxfam and watch the site on Facebook etc they will inform you what date to apply this year was the 12 February 2019 ??? or could of been the 11th feels such along time ago now

I also signed up for Wateraid but felled but then 2 weeks before festival they emailed me stating they had a spear couple of places available if interested but turned them down as i was volunteering with oxfam 

I have never done any sort of volunteering before try oxfam chat F/b good information on there join oxfam now you need a photo of yourself on there application 

Good luck don't give up 

Edited by Sally1999

48 minutes ago, Sally1999 said:

I worked with oxfam this year i felled on tickets 2018 and on that same disappointing Sunday afternoon sent them a email stating my interest i have never volunteered with them before i then joined there site watched out on line when the applications was released which was in February 2019 getting online was bit like trying for tickets to Glastonbury F5 a lot but got in payed the ticket money and that was it booked up half a days training which all volunteers have to do but i don't think it matters whether you worked there before just join up now with oxfam and watch the site on Facebook etc they will inform you what date to apply this year was the 12 February 2019 ??? or could of been the 11th feels such along time ago now

I also signed up for Wateraid but felled but then 2 weeks before festival they emailed me stating they had a spear couple of places available if interested but turned them down as i was volunteering with oxfam 

I have never done any sort of volunteering before try oxfam chat F/b good information on there join oxfam now you need a photo of yourself on there application 

Did you enjoy it? What jobs did they give you?

17 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Did you enjoy it? What jobs did they give you?

It wasn't to bad got picked up at bristol train station by bus then to site and yes straight to camping field set up tent then meeting given free 24/7 meal vouchers x4 from onsite cafe good meals free shower vouchers x4 free coffee and tea through out stay given shifts wednesday hard struggle 5am to 2pm thursday all night 10pm to 6am and saturday 2pm to 10pm there is a board to swap shifts if you was lucky 

Did i enjoy well i was there shifts are really knackering wednesday busy time flew by other 2 shifts dragged big time and such along walk to get where you work like wedesday up at 3.30am but all i can say there was good times and bad times but mostly gate duties

You miss a lot and for me no i would not do it again but for some love it but wasn't for me

Edited by Sally1999
  • Like 1