Volunteering 2020

DJL

I haven't done it since 2013 (Oxfam) but I'm going to this year. Wouldn't mind trying someone different - going to go through the 2019 thread but thought worthwhile starting a new one.

I would recommend it. Walking around an empty site on the Tuesday and welcoming people on site on the Wednesday morning at open of the gates are two of biggest highlights ever...

Edited by DJL
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

Trying to convince my sister to consider Oxfam as she missed out on tickets :( Might anyone let me know how the shift allocation works? Do people have any choice or are there sort of gradings of shifts so that it is spread evenly?

There is no choice in terms of your shifts, you may be lucky and get early shifts (Sunday - Tuesday). There is always the option of swapping shifts once you’re there as well 

I volunteered with Festaff this year and it was great. 95% of shifts are wristbanding on the gates.

I worked 3 fun shifts banding people on Gate A:
Wednesday: 4pm to Midnight
Thursday: 8am to 4pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm

The 8 hour rest between the Wednesday and Thursday shifts was a bit brutal, but my own fault, as it's what I chose in order to get 2 shifts out the way ASAP.

Shifts are first come first served, pick yourself. But everyone has to do at least one "late", and everybody has to work Wednesday and Thursday, as it's when the gates are busiest. It means you only have to do one remaining shift over the main festival days.

1 hour ago, FatAmmy said:

Interested to learn more about some of the options - are there any barriers to Americans volunteering? What else is out there besides Oxfam?

I think there can be some restrictions.  Im sure I had to tick a box for Oxfam saying I had the right to work in the UK.  Have a look at the sites and terms :) x

8 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

I think there can be some restrictions.  Im sure I had to tick a box for Oxfam saying I had the right to work in the UK.  Have a look at the sites and terms :) x

Yeah, as a general rule of thumb you need to already have the right visa to work in the UK. It's technically possible for an organisation to sponsor you for one, but that doesn't tend to happen as the admin is a pain and they're not short of recruits.

21 minutes ago, Sku said:

I volunteered with Festaff this year and it was great. 95% of shifts are wristbanding on the gates.

I worked 3 fun shifts banding people on Gate A:
Wednesday: 4pm to Midnight
Thursday: 8am to 4pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm

The 8 hour rest between the Wednesday and Thursday shifts was a bit brutal, but my own fault, as it's what I chose in order to get 2 shifts out the way ASAP.

Shifts are first come first served, pick yourself. But everyone has to do at least one "late", and everybody has to work Wednesday and Thursday, as it's when the gates are busiest. It means you only have to do one remaining shift over the main festival days.

Yeah I've been looking at Festaff but sounds like you're more likely to get in with them if you've done it before. Had you volunteered with them before or did you sign up out of the blue?

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah I've been looking at Festaff but sounds like you're more likely to get in with them if you've done it before. Had you volunteered with them before or did you sign up out of the blue?

Out of the blue. This year at least, they opened applications for those who had worked with them before on 1st of March.

Then they opened a second round of applications on the 1st of April which was open to everyone. I applied, and my application was approved the very next day.

1 hour ago, rosieangel said:

Trying to convince my sister to consider Oxfam as she missed out on tickets :( Might anyone let me know how the shift allocation works? Do people have any choice or are there sort of gradings of shifts so that it is spread evenly?

With Oxfam you also swap, so if you get a shift at the time of a headliner you really want to see  there is a decent chance you can find someone to swap it so you miss a different headliner

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

I did Oxfam last year and loved it.. will be applying again this year ?

Whereabouts is the campsite now, I hear it has moved since I did it. In answer to the above we took a camper van into the Oxfam camp site a few years ago, was decent

Edited by DJL

34 minutes ago, DJL said:

Whereabouts is the campsite now, I hear it has moved since I did it. In answer to the above we took a camper van into the Oxfam camp site a few years ago, was decent

The main Oxfam camp was about a 5 minute walk outside of Ped Gate B in 2019.

No idea what the deal with campervans is though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bertilincoln said:

Morning all, I'm registered to volunteer with Oxfam and want to do Glastonbury next year, but I want to stay in my camper van.

Do you know where I'd be camping? In the motorhome fields or somewhere else?

Thanks.

Campervans are (or at least, always have been to date) in the same field as tents, over to one side of the field.

40 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Still kinda I'm shock after missing out this morning and love the idea of volunteering. But am I too old (48)? And if my wife volunteers as well would we basically not see each other all festival?

I've worked alongside people in their 70s so no.

With Oxfam at least you can pick up to 5 shift partners. You might not work at the same place, but you will be working at the same time. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Still kinda I'm shock after missing out this morning and love the idea of volunteering. But am I too old (48)? And if my wife volunteers as well would we basically not see each other all festival?

Plenty of people in that sort of age range with Festaff this year. Was really mixed.

I'm 31, and would say I was somewhere in the middle of the average age range. I thought it would tilt a lot younger, but was surprised.