Anyone else think the website was worse this year?

bombfrog

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Hmm, thanks for the info - I did try with private mode and a different browser, does it still square with it being a cookie issue? (Apologies, I know it must be annoying having people asking you to explain probably very basic things ?)

Yes. I'm afraid you were just unlucky to get allocated another cookie sending you to another bad server instance.
There were alot of over-loaded servers timing out. Once you got a good one, you were making successful requests, and you would notice the difference!

2 hours ago, Padgey said:

I got in and added all the registrations but when I clicked proceed it crashed, I went back several times and it kept crashing when I hit proceed.  Thankfully someone else got ours but would've been hugely disappointing if that had scuppered my chance.

That's exactly what happened to me and none of our 12 got thru , I can just about accept not getting a ticket but not when I've got thru to the so called page , that should be as hard as it gets .something needs sorting out because the system isn't working 

I managed to get through at about 9.25/9.26. Stuck on the white "refreshing every 20 secs" page prior.

That page didn't load a couple of times but was okay other than that.

Once the reg details page popped up every other page after that was fine. In fact as quick as loading a normal web page would be. It surprised me as everytime I pressed confirm I was expecting a battle...

Really am sorry for those who didn't have the same experience. 

Three browsers each showing the holding page... two refreshed and showed registration number entry boxes almost at the same time... got six tickets through one almost instantaneously... worked really smoothly. Then came to use the second page for the other 5 in our group and each time I hit submit it went to the holding page and wouldn’t go any further.

Feeling both frustrated and gutted simultaneously (as well as grateful to have at least got tickets for half our group)... but it’s clearer to me than ever before that it’s totally down to luck at every stage in the process! 

Edited by thazlewood

1 hour ago, nikkic said:
2 hours ago, Padgey said:

I got in and added all the registrations but when I clicked proceed it crashed, I went back several times and it kept crashing when I hit proceed.  Thankfully someone else got ours but would've been hugely disappointing if that had scuppered my chance.

Same for me. 

I got through at 9.10.

Honestly though I’d be fine but basically did what you described for 25 mins then it sold out. 

Gutted. 

Virtually the same here. Would it have been worth refreshing whilst it was trying to proceed?

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Once the reg details page popped up every other page after that was fine. In fact as quick as loading a normal web page would be. It surprised me as everytime I pressed confirm I was expecting a battle...

I expected the same, been that way in the past, but not this time, just couldn't progress it and I started at 9.20

17 minutes ago, OrganicShamanic said:
21 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Hmm, thanks for the info - I did try with private mode and a different browser, does it still square with it being a cookie issue? (Apologies, I know it must be annoying having people asking you to explain probably very basic things ?)

Yes. I'm afraid you were just unlucky to get allocated another cookie sending you to another bad server instance.
There were alot of over-loaded servers timing out. Once you got a good one, you were making successful requests, and you would notice the difference!

Got this loads...

1 minute ago, Flysheet said:

I expected the same, been that way in the past, but not this time, just couldn't progress it and I started at 9.20

Same, took me a good 10 mins of trying to get past the page where all your names are listed in boxes with 'deposit' underneath. You're usually as good as done by that point.

Edited by UEF

1 minute ago, UEF said:

Same, took me a good 10 mins of trying to get past the page where all your names are listed in boxes with 'deposit' underneath. You're usually as good as done by that point.

Did you get them or not?

Only time I got to the payment page was for it to tell me they'd sold out!

This is the first year ever I've not even seen a holding page. Just couldn't get past a white server overload screen. Thankfully my son got ours but it was brutal for the rest of us trying and bittersweet as our second group missed out 

3 minutes ago, Digi said:

This is the first year ever I've not even seen a holding page. Just couldn't get past a white server overload screen. Thankfully my son got ours but it was brutal for the rest of us trying and bittersweet as our second group missed out 

It is strange how some devices don't even get the holding page 

1 minute ago, UEF said:

Yeah. I nervously clicked 'stop' and resubmitted. It did go through after dozens of retries 

Must have gone back and forwards a hundred times, probably more. That's the really frustrating bit to tell the truth.

4 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Having made so many improvements, I'm not sure how it could actually get worse year on year. I think they've been tinkering.

3 hours ago, Big Vern said:

Maybe if people didnt sit there with multiple pages and multiple devices frantically pressing refresh, it wouldnt be such pressure on the servers. 

It's an arms race. The load is going up every year because the technical types are increasing their effort every year, because it gets harder every year because the load is going up every year because...

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's an arms race. The load is going up every year because the technical types are increasing their effort every year, because it gets harder every year because the load is going up every year because...

That tweet...absolute tosh. At 9.26 they'd virtually all gone, I know because I got the payment page shortly after and there were none left!

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Although, I'm a technical type and I'm pretty sure I generated less average load than I would have done during the previous 3 years. I've also had more success than those years. There's a benefit to working smarter, not harder.

As we all know, the system penalises for example too many refreshes per minute. And in terms of anyone trying to use multiple VMs/whatever with unique IPs - done something along those lines in the past and personally I'd say that quickly becomes too awkward to manage and you end up costing yourself more valuable time elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I managed to get through at about 9.25/9.26. Stuck on the white "refreshing every 20 secs" page prior.

That page didn't load a couple of times but was okay other than that.

Really am sorry for those who didn't have the same experience. 

I had the opposite on Thursday. On the final ‘Buy Tickets’ screen it kept crashing. Then it sold out. Then I got the confirmation email through thankfully!

But once you’re past a certain point it should be seamless. I thought they’d fixed it but it’s disconcerting to see people say they got to the final page but didn’t get tickets.

I don't it was that the site was worse, I just think the demand was higher. 

I didn't get tickets but this is the first time ever I've struggled to even get a holding page. 

It was 9.13 by the time I even saw anything other than server unavailable. For the majority of my group it was the same.