Anyone else think the website was worse this year?

bombfrog

16 minutes ago, deefer6 said:

I can’t see why they don’t employ a system like San Diego Comic Con, it’s the model of mass demand ticket sales. You need to enter a waiting room in the hour before the sales start or you can’t join the actual sale. When you’re in the sales page, it gives you a constant update on the availability of tickets.

There must around the same amount of people trying for those tickets and I’ve not once seen a 404 error. I still haven’t managed to get tickets, but it feels fairer. I say this as someone who was successful this year (via someone else), so it’s not coming from spite. 

San Diego Comic Con is a load of multi-billion dollar companies trying to get people in so they can advertise to them, they've probably got a fuck load more money sloshing around than Glastonbury has.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

San Diego Comic Con is a load of multi-billion dollar companies trying to get people in so they can advertise to them, they've probably got a fuck load more money sloshing around than Glastonbury has.

Glastonbury doesn’t run the ticketing site, Seetickets do, I’m sure they’re not shy of a few bob. 

Im just saying it’s a more fair way and there’s a system in place to stop multiple browsers being used which limits the strain on the servers. It would actually be more cost effective and better than ‘please stick to one browser’ tweets. 

1 minute ago, deefer6 said:

Glastonbury doesn’t run the ticketing site, Seetickets do, I’m sure they’re not shy of a few bob. 

Im just saying it’s a more fair way and there’s a system in place to stop multiple browsers being used which limits the strain on the servers. It would actually be more cost effective and better than ‘please stick to one browser’ tweets. 

Neil has info that See do it for free because it's good PR. See may not be short of a few bob, but they're not going to start ploughing cash into a project they aren't paid for and shifts boatloads of untoutable tickets in half an hour.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

It was wierd- had 2 browsers on my computer and a 4g phone. Chrome immediately got to the holding screen and everytime I refreshed that reloaded. Safari couldn't load anything. Then chrome stopped working, but 4g got the holding page every time. Then that stopped working for a while, but chrome came back on. What exactly is happening - why if you get through to the holding page does it pretty much load every time? 

Because you have been allocated a cookie which directs you to a server operating within it's capacity. At this point all your requests were probably successfully responded to in less than 2 seconds, unless that server then gets allocated too many sessions, at which point it will also start timing out. That happened occasionally, but mostly once you had a good server, you were making successful requests.

The sucker is, if you were unlucky enough to be allocated an over-loaded server, all your future requests would also be directed there. Hence never even seeing the holding page.

A fresh request with no cookies would get a new server allocation.

It appeared as though a lot of the servers were over-loaded, especially for the first 20 minutes. If you were not seeing the holding page, you weren't even making successful requests.

• Upvote 1

Last year i got to the payment page twice and it crashed both tomes meaning i missed out on tickets, this year i got as far as the holding page but no further although luckily a mate managed to get through and paid

i don't think it was any worse than previous years, probably about the same although personal experience differs, for us, this year was much better

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Neil has info that See do it for free because it's good PR. See may not be short of a few bob, but they're not going to start ploughing cash into a project they aren't paid for and shifts boatloads of untoutable tickets in half an hour.

That’s fair, and good of them. I’m not sure the PR is all that good for them judging by some of the Twitter reactions but it sure does get their name in front of a lot of eyes. 

6 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Who get's the booking fee?

See are getting the same money whatever they do.  Anything to improve the system would effectively be for free because there is no financial impetus - it won't earn them anything extra, it's more investment for the same money, so it would eat into their profits if anything.

They shift 100,000 tickets in half an hour. That's good enough for them. Anything further is above and beyond their services.

Edited by fowls

1 minute ago, OrganicShamanic said:

Because you have been allocated a cookie which directs you to a server operating within it's capacity. At this point all your requests were probably successfully responded to in less than 2 seconds, unless that server then gets allocated too many sessions, at which point it will also start timing out. That happened occasionally, but mostly once you had a good server, you were making successful requests.

This is absolutely right. And the next thing is, I guess, is that this also happens on the registration details page - we got to that at about 09:15 but it simply would not submit - my guess being that it wasn't getting any response from the great server bucket that hands out tickets.

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

I got in and added all the registrations but when I clicked proceed it crashed, I went back several times and it kept crashing when I hit proceed.  Thankfully someone else got ours but would've been hugely disappointing if that had scuppered my chance.

Same for me. 

I got through at 9.10.

Honestly though I’d be fine but basically did what you described for 25 mins then it sold out. 

Gutted. 

7 minutes ago, OrganicShamanic said:

The sucker is, if you were unlucky enough to be allocated an over-loaded server, all your future requests would also be directed there. Hence never even seeing the holding page.

It appeared as though a lot of the servers were over-loaded, especially for the first 20 minutes. If you were not seeing the holding page, you weren't even making successful requests.

Thanks! 

I’ve had years where it’s said server not responding pretty much the whole time, it’s very easy to get to the holding page now, I’d say it’s improved a lot.

saying that... Having just experienced the heartache of it crashing after pressing proceed on card details (multiple times) that process is really really shoddy. What’s the point of having a timer if it’s still just luck after that point?

Deffo worse in my opinion. Last year we managed 6 in coach and 12 in general. 

Same computers this year at same place (my work).... got through to booking page but every time we clicked proceed to go to payment it crashed. Clicked back and pressed proceed again about 8 times then totally kicked me out. 

Thankfully our friend managed to get ours ??

30 minutes ago, deefer6 said:

Not at all, it’s the current system but with more order and a stable system. 

No, the way you described it is more akin to a lottery, just one you have to turn up for at a specific time. Balls to that.

Edited by incident

27 minutes ago, OrganicShamanic said:

For a layman, do you mind explaining how to do this? I sorta felt from 9.01 that I was doomed to fail, it was just 'connecting' for a minute or two at a time (so I couldn't even refresh or anything like that) every time I tried so didn't get to the holding page, and sounds like it must be this issue. Used private mode and switched to IE but had the same thing unfortunately. 

Edited by Garrett_Salas

27 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

For a layman, do you mind explaining how to do this? I sorta felt from 9.01 that I was doomed to fail, it was just 'connecting' for a minute or two at a time (so I couldn't even refresh or anything like that) every time I tried so didn't get to the holding page, and sounds like it must be this issue. Used private mode and switched to IE but had the same thing unfortunately. 

I'm afraid you were virtually doomed to fail, unless you could make a fresh request with no cookies and get allocated a functioning server.

Essentially you need to either delete your cookies, or start a fresh session by using a different browser or restarting your browser with a new 'private' session (e.g incognito)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, deefer6 said:

Did you not just describe the current system? 

Nope. and if you're treating it like that then to be blunt that's likely part of the reason you don't get on with it.

The current system (to an extent) rewards effort and persistence and equally punishes people who try and push it too far.

It's not perfect, but it's a long way from being a lottery.

1 minute ago, OrganicShamanic said:

I'm afraid you were virtually doomed to fail, unless you could make a fresh request with no cookies and get allocated a functioning server.

Essentially you need to either delete your cookies, or start a fresh session by using a different browser or restarting your browser with a new 'private' session (e.g incognito)

This is very useful information for the next resale--I think a lot of people don't realise this when they can't get the holding page

5 minutes ago, OrganicShamanic said:

Hmm, thanks for the info - I did try with private mode and a different browser, does it still square with it being a cookie issue? (Apologies, I know it must be annoying having people asking you to explain probably very basic things ?)