There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

7 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

But what's to stop people re-registering multiple times.

It would be very difficult to stop, people could register themselves at different addresses (family, friends, work) and variables of their own name (Thomas, Tom, Tommy). Under the present registration process it can be abused. 

9 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

How do Wimbledon and the London Marathon do it?  Or is there nothing to stop it there either, if not I'm off to register for Wimbledon again ? 

I think Wimbledon is (or used to be) based on address. I'm sure I remember a friend of mine using her parent's address and one year getting two lots of very sought after tickets, one for each address. Two semi finals or one semi, one final. Something like that

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It would be very difficult to stop, people could register themselves at different addresses (family, friends, work) and variables of their own name (Thomas, Tom, Tommy). Under the present registration process it can be abused. 

I know they wont, but some type of authentication like they use for mobile banking etc could work. They just wont go to those lengths because lets face it they don't care that much... as long as the tickets are selling out and they are "coping" with the demand they wont change anything. 

20 hours ago, Bisque said:

Is a Glastonbury reg number not good enough?

I don’t see how multiple registrations are a benefit?

If you know someone who lives in the area covered by local sales and use their address for a registration it gives people a second bite at the cherry.

34 minutes ago, Havors said:

some type of authentication like they use for mobile banking etc could work.

that doesn't do anything to stop multiple registrations, all that does is link a 'registration' (person) to a device.

The only reason that works for a bank is because of the ID checks they've done in order to accept that 'registration' (person) as an account holder in the first place.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that doesn't do anything to stop multiple registrations, all that does is link a 'registration' (person) to a device.

The only reason that works for a bank is because of the ID checks they've done in order to accept that 'registration' (person) as an account holder in the first place.

I think you misunderstand sorry.... I mean when you register you prove who you are.  The likes of Starling and Monzo require you to take a pic of ID or send them a video via the app etc... 

But its like I said they are not going to go to those lengths even though the technology is there and quite simple these days. Its just time and effort they wont go to. 

An alternative, not that I am in any way suggesting or endorsing this, way around multiple registrations is to charge people, say a tenner, to register (money could go to Oxfam/WaterAid). One registration per card/bank account. That way if people want to create ten registrations they can, but it'll cost them.

Yes I know would greatly skew the ballot in favour of those who are richer than others, which is why I wouldn't endorse it.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

An alternative, not that I am in any way suggesting or endorsing this, way around multiple registrations is to charge people, say a tenner, to register (money could go to Oxfam/WaterAid). One registration per card/bank account. That way if people want to create ten registrations they can, but it'll cost them.

Yes I know would greatly skew the ballot in favour of those who are richer than others, which is why I wouldn't endorse it.

Yeah tough one. Would possibly work if there was a way of using the bank account as part of identity checks for registration purposed. i.e. you need to link your name and account (with address, like billing address for card has to be same as reg address) to the registration somehow preventing multiple registrations (unless people have multiple accounts a different adresses which is not going to be a common thing??) 

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I think Wimbledon is (or used to be) based on address. I'm sure I remember a friend of mine using her parent's address and one year getting two lots of very sought after tickets, one for each address. Two semi finals or one semi, one final. Something like that

Wimbledon has two separate ballots, one for locals and one for everyone else.

Their local definition is very local though, I live >15 minutes walk from it and don't qualify for local.

• 3 years later...

The one thing I would prefer would be if the process wasn't so quick! If the system was a bit slower and took 8 hours to sell out, then I would happily spend all 8 hours trying rather than give up after an hour or so. That would really reward commitment and perseverence for those really desperate to go

4 minutes ago, lukemack said:

I thibk the only fairer way of allocating ticket is reducing the amount of 6 again to 4, would help smaller groups I guess.

A lotter or a ballot etc just wouldn't work imo

We ended up getting 12 out our group, but still need another 11 in the resales

I was only one to get tickets from our group and I was the only one trying for myself.

I got through to pay and just got a holding page and then white screen - when I refreshed  just kept me holding 🙈 feel worse that I actually almost tickets and now I don’t - think I would have preferred not to get through at all 🥹

Congrats to everyone who got a ticket 😊 off to the resale group I go 🤣🤣

On 10/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, JoBalls said:

For me the only issue with the system is that it should work once you actually get through - in our group we got through three times during the time tickets were on sale, but twice the payment page crashed when we pressed “Buy Tickets” and we lost our slot. If the site had worked properly we would have had our whole group going, but instead now only 6 of us have tickets and the rest are trying in the resale. Obviously I still count myself as being incredibly lucky to have tickets but at the same time I am gutted for my family and friends who didn’t get theirs when they were so so tantalisingly close. I’ve seen a lot of others commenting on here, twitter and Facebook that they had the same problem too, so it’s not an isolated issue. 

Spot on. I you get through it should be a guarantee you get them.

Its a shambles, always has been a shambles and always will be. No better way and I was very unlucky in the shambles this year having verified my payment but then not going through. 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

19 from 20 groups … I got 1 group 

Are people on this site incredibly popular or are random strangers now grouping together to buy in blocks? 

I know there are discord groups etc. But was hoping that was limited. 

Essentially means people just trying for themselves/ their mates have no chance

7 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It's not in any way fair.

The website is totally unfit for purpose

There is no fair way to do it as the demand outstrips the supply, the system they have at the moment enables a full 250k sell out in an hour give or take. They don't set it up for things to go wrong but shit happens that you can't test before the actual thing itself takes place