There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

1 hour ago, naomi1303 said:

Nah, I've been successful 3 out of 4 years trying and I honestly believe a straight ballot would be fairer. My other half and I have a military operation going. We took his mum one year and she would have had no chance getting tickets on her own (and in fact, just having her try was more stressful for us!). There are a lot of people not tech savvy who are at a vast disadvantage.

Fairer maybe but the right move, I don't believe so. 

Glastonbury or any festival for that matter is predominantly about spending time with your mates and the people closest to you. A ballot system could destroy that. We had 2 groups successful this year 7 people in total. What happens if only one of us was successful in a ballot?

I understand that your other half's mum would have been a up shit creek without a paddle, but would she have went on her own anyway? I understand that isn't the point but surely for people who did want to attend the festival on their own who don't know how to use a computer a close friend or relative could help them. I'm not tech savvy, I don't really know how computers, cookies and servers all really work but it isn't rocket science to get the seetickets page up and smash f5 for half an hour. Also if there was a potential issue that the festival and seetickets needed to address they would have still permitted the sale tickets over the phone therefore they see your point as invalid. 

There's always going to be pros and cons but the cons in my opinion massively outweigh the pros in changing the ticket process to a ballot system.

It's fair now, you have more chance of getting a ticket if you are dedicated and persistent. However, being dedicated and persistent does not guarantee you a ticket, and at some stage all of us will miss out. It was my turn last year, this year I was lucky.

• Upvote 1

@naomi1303 I've just read over the posts after you had quoted mine. 

The Olympics was a one off event. I understand a lot of people wanted to attend it but it didn't have loyal attendees who have returned year on year. The adding 6 people to a group argument adds a lot of complications in regards to a ballot, I don't know how that'd work. You could add your 6 to the group and then your group only has one chance which would then equal to the same amount of luck that a couple or one individual has. Everyone in the group could be entitled to one ballot entry but then what happens when the 150,000 people are drawn who are all connected to another 5 people. I just don't think it works. 

My father-in-law is a Liverpool season ticket holder, he's been attending Anfield since the late 50's. He has travelled all over Europe watching Liverpool, through the successful years of the 70's and 80's went to Uefa cup final and Champions League finals in 2001, 2005 and 2007. He has spent thousands and thousands doing it. Over the past 2 years Liverpool have reached 2 Champions League finals and the ticket allocation has been divvied out through a ballot process. And both years he didn't get a sniff at a ticket, is that fair? 

Edited by lukethekid

4 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

@naomi1303 I've just read over the posts after you had quoted mine. 

The Olympics was a one off event. I understand a lot of people wanted to attend it but it didn't have loyal attendees who have returned year on year. The adding 6 people to a group argument adds a lot of complications in regards to a ballot, I don't know how that'd work. You could add your 6 to the group and then your group only has one chance which would then equal to the same amount of luck that a couple or one individual has. Everyone in the group could be entitled to one ballot entry but then what happens when the 150,000 people are drawn who are all connected to another 5 people. I just don't think it works. 

My father-in-law is a Liverpool season ticket holder, he's been attending Anfield since the late 50's. He has travelled all over Europe watching Liverpool, through the successful years of the 70's and 80's went to Uefa cup final and Champions League finals in 2001 and 2005 and 2007. He has spent thousands and thousands doing it. Over the past 2 years Liverpool have reached 2 Champions League finals and the ticket allocation has been divvied out through a ballot process. And both years he didn't get a sniff at a ticket, is that fair? 

I think if you went in with a group of 6 you'd have to accept that your chances would be lower. One shot per reg number otherwise as you say, too complicated. I only mentioned Olympics as it's somewhere I know it has been done and really, I don't know how it would work in practical terms. 

I don't think the number of times you've been, or how much money you've spent has any bearing on whether you should get a ticket. What about young music/football fans who want to attend for the first time? What about those who can't afford to attend regularly but are desperate to go. They aren't any less worthy. I think it was probably heartbreaking for your father in law but yes, I do think it was as fair as it could have been. 

1 minute ago, naomi1303 said:

I think if you went in with a group of 6 you'd have to accept that your chances would be lower. One shot per reg number otherwise as you say, too complicated. I only mentioned Olympics as it's somewhere I know it has been done and really, I don't know how it would work in practical terms. 

I don't think the number of times you've been, or how much money you've spent has any bearing on whether you should get a ticket. What about young music/football fans who want to attend for the first time? What about those who can't afford to attend regularly but are desperate to go. They aren't any less worthy. I think it was probably heartbreaking for your father in law but yes, I do think it was as fair as it could have been. 

Then loyalty = nothing? 

28 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Then loyalty = nothing? 

I know it sounds harsh but yeah, in this type of situation I don't think loyalty** should mean you get preferential treatment. Everybody pays the same price for a ticket, we're all equal.

**Also, I take slight issue with loyalty meaning "he who has spent the most money"

Edited by naomi1303

1 hour ago, naomi1303 said:

I know it sounds harsh but yeah, in this type of situation I don't think loyalty** should mean you get preferential treatment. Everybody pays the same price for a ticket, we're all equal.

**Also, I take slight issue with loyalty meaning "he who has spent the most money"

I’m sorry but I really disagree with what you’re saying.

Going back to my father-in-law, although I mentioned money that he’d spent following his football team, that isn’t the value of loyalty. His loyalty is shown when he sticks by his team through tough times. Just like the loyalty of a Glasto festival goer who sticks by the festival over the years of mud and after fallow years. 

These loyal customers / attendees have tactics to obtain tickets, a tactic that can still be taken on by newbies with a little bit of research on the internet. Changing to a ballot system basically wipes all of that away. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

I’m sorry but I really disagree with what you’re saying.

Going back to my father-in-law, although I mentioned money that he’d spent following his football team, that isn’t the value of loyalty. His loyalty is shown when he sticks by his team through tough times. Just like the loyalty of a Glasto festival goer who sticks by the festival over the years of mud and after fallow years. 

These loyal customers / attendees have tactics to obtain tickets, a tactic that can still be taken on by newbies with a little bit of research on the internet. Changing to a ballot system basically wipes all of that away. 

Tough times? He supports Liverpool!

3 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Mate, I’ve seen Luton play Grays Athletic and Histon in league matches. Excuse me if I don’t count mid table in the Premier League as ‘tough times’!

Different kettle of fish though isn’t it. 

2 minutes ago, duke88 said:

You don’t know tough times until you’ve been beaten at home on a Tuesday night by Hyde ?

When you’re bringing in Paul Konchesky to be your number 1 left back after taking  John Arne Riise and Fabio Aurelio for granted I think you know tough times.

Saying that though I wasn’t only referring to results. He was at Hillsborough in pen 3 the pen to the left of the goal. 

I’ve been able to get a ticket every year since 2010. Never got through myself, I always blamed my Mac running Safari but last year didn’t get a sniff on two Windows computers so didn’t go & went to another festival instead, this year got through on a friends Mac/Safari. It’s just as much as a ballot at 9am Sunday as it could be.

I agree this is a thread for people thinking they are above their station for having managed to get tickets in the past.

It’s not the end of the world, try something different & you might even enjoy your life not worrying about Glastonbury for once.

edit: try supporting Woking

edit 2: I got beach volleyball tickets for the Olympics ?

Edited by Bisque

Apologies if this has already been mentioned- I didn’t have mental strength to read the last 20 pages since I previously viewed this thread.

I read the earlier idea of having to log in at 9am on the Sunday with your reg number, and then everybody that’s logged in randomly gets the chance to buy up to 6 tickets and though it might be a good idea, making it a fairer process but rewarding those who are genuinely motivated to go an ensure they are sat by their pc at the given time.

And then read the issue that many people with more foresight than me raised- that you’d have people with loads of reg numbers gaming the system.

Could this potentially be negated by having a National Insurance number associated to your reg number. Would Possibly ensure one application per user?

One obvious problem with this is that it might restrict the festival to only UK goers (which shouldn’t be considered). Wondered if there’s any potential work around and any other obvious issues? ?‍♂️

Wanting a different ticket system is understandable when you are left ticketless on that brutal Sunday morning. I didn’t get tickets for next year and I’m am left with a Glastonbury shaped hole for next year.

A lottery type system has been suggested on here with everyone’s registrations in a hat. I would need tickets for me, my wife and two children and so can’t see how that type of system would work for my family or other families?

It’s been said here already, but I think the reality is there are just too many of us wanting to go.
For me I will continue to try for tickets every year, but think I have to accept the new reality that whatever the ticket system, it’s very likely that I won’t get tickets.

I intend to take my family to other festivals on the years we can’t get the golden tickets and I will try to stop being so dependent on Glastonbury being a yearly happiness highlight (we do lots of other nice things as a family , but Glastonbury is just so good).

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

only if the festival had access the NI database.

Me, I don't reckon the govt would let them do that. :P 

Probably plenty other companies got access to it anyway :P

But yes that would also rule out all our international punters who don't have a UK NI number

I like the current system, it could be improved though.

If the website went live at 8am just for me then went ahead as usual for you lot at 9 I think we'd all be better for it.

Also to answer someone's post 2 pages ago, I think Glastonbury tickets and football tickets are worlds apart. If someone wants to put up with liverpool while they've been shit for 20 years they should be rewarded, Glastonbury is a once a year event though and has no place for loyalty. The thought of going with 200,000 glasto obsessives makes me shudder 

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

They're not, I think most of them will have been done by accident.  My sister this year for example had to update her address and somehow ended up creating a duplicate registration.

Multiple registrations have been explicitly allowed by the festival so far.  They say that it offers no advantage (which is probably true for now), and they say if you've changed details or email address, then just register again.

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

Is a Glastonbury reg number not good enough?

I don’t see how multiple registrations are a benefit?

they aren't at the moment. But if they start doing other things, like ballots for example, that's when mutiple registrations can be abused.

8 hours ago, Cream Soda said:

The festival are aware of this so surely if it changed to a ballot they will make everyone re-register.  Also you could end up having 1000s get a ticket who don't actually want one.  

But what's to stop people re-registering multiple times.