There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

5 minutes ago, naomi1303 said:

Nah, I've been successful 3 out of 4 years trying and I honestly believe a straight ballot would be fairer. My other half and I have a military operation going. We took his mum one year and she would have had no chance getting tickets on her own (and in fact, just having her try was more stressful for us!). There are a lot of people not tech savvy who are at a vast disadvantage.

I mean if someone is incapable of a quick google “improve getting a ticket to Glastonbury” that doesn’t make me tech savvy . First 10 results all give the exact same advice as everyone has given here. 

In today’s society using a computer or google are basics. If she can’t get used the current system by herself, there really isn’t much chance of her having much more success with a ballet. Yourself would still have to do everything for her by registering and entering the ballot, it’s only a bit more effort in the current system. If she wouldn’t have a chance with the current system by herself would you trust her to go by herself? 

a straight ballot makes it more difficult of people to get tickets. People are less committed and keen to go have the equal chance of getting it.  

I really think people are exaggerating how “tech savvy” you have to be. And if you think about it, if everyone is refreshing, there’s no competitive advantage. You’re just on par with everyone else 

at the end of the day Demand > supply. 

33 minutes ago, naomi1303 said:

Nah, I've been successful 3 out of 4 years trying and I honestly believe a straight ballot would be fairer. My other half and I have a military operation going. We took his mum one year and she would have had no chance getting tickets on her own (and in fact, just having her try was more stressful for us!). There are a lot of people not tech savvy who are at a vast disadvantage.

I read every post on the ticket tips and tricks thread ... and even started it ..... Did I get tickets ? no .... did i refresh just like 99% of people .... yes ..... Is it down to luck .... yes absolutely ....

9 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I mean if someone is incapable of a quick google “improve getting a ticket to Glastonbury” that doesn’t make me tech savvy . First 10 results all give the exact same advice as everyone has given here. 

In today’s society using a computer or google are basics. If she can’t get used the current system by herself, there really isn’t much chance of her having much more success with a ballet. Yourself would still have to do everything for her by registering and entering the ballot, it’s only a bit more effort in the current system. If she wouldn’t have a chance with the current system by herself would you trust her to go by herself? 

a straight ballot makes it more difficult of people to get tickets. People are less committed and keen to go have the equal chance of getting it.  

I really think people are exaggerating how “tech savvy” you have to be. And if you think about it, if everyone is refreshing, there’s no competitive advantage. You’re just on par with everyone else 

at the end of the day Demand > supply. 

I reckon you're underestimating the amount of people who don't use computers on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, my mother in law is a very capable person but she doesn't have a great understanding about computers so there's a level of fear there.

Anyway, they did a ballot for Olympics tickets, it worked there. In a ballot you really are on par with everyone else. It's categorically the most fair method but because the odds of getting tickets would be lower, people don't want it.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I read every post on the ticket tips and tricks thread ... and even started it ..... Did I get tickets ? no .... did i refresh just like 99% of people .... yes ..... Is it down to luck .... yes absolutely ....

So if it's down to luck then why not make it fair and have a ballot?

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Totally agree, there’s no rhyme or reason why someone gets through on a phone half way up a mountain in the highlands whilst someone in many groups all with multiple devices fails. Being committed to the current system, the preparation, the effort involved is far superior to just sticking your name into a ballot along with a helluva lot more people than currently try. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

29 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

You make a point but a simple ballot in my opinion would just encourage even more folk to apply for tickets, many not really committed to the festival and it’s ethos. And what about groups of friends who could be separated if only one or two of them were successful?  I reckon the tech savvy argument is overrated. This year I use one pc, refreshing every 5 seconds and a 4g phone. Also had an I pad but gave up on it after a few minutes. In the past I just used the pc. Been successful for the last 5 festivals. There’s more luck than tech knowledge involved in getting the tickets. 

My thinking is, registration as it is now. They give a 2 week (or whatever) window to enter the ballot in groups of up to 6. Ballot is drawn and you have a certain period to pay the balance in full otherwise your tickets are withdrawn and up for grabs again. They could do a second ballot or have a general resale, similar to now. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Totally agree, there’s no rhyme or reason why someone gets through on a phone half way up a mountain in the highlands whilst someone in many groups all with multiple devices fails. 

is that a hint ? maybe I should head for my nearest mountain ....?  Glastonbury Tor should do it :) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, naomi1303 said:

My thinking is, registration as it is now. They give a 2 week (or whatever) window to enter the ballot in groups of up to 6. Ballot is drawn and you have a certain period to pay the balance in full otherwise your tickets are withdrawn and up for grabs again. They could do a second ballot or have a general resale, similar to now. 

so what about the Groups of 1 or 2 ? why does it need to be a 6 ? 

Just now, naomi1303 said:

Though you think it's currently based on luck, so effort actually makes no difference.

A ballot is a one off entry ... 30 seconds of time to complete ...... the draw takes 30 plus minutes and luck to get through ... my 74 year old parents were capable of refreshing and putting some details in boxes .... its really not complicated 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

A ballot is a one off entry ... 30 seconds of time to complete ...... the draw takes 30 plus minutes and luck to get through ... my 74 year old parents were capable of refreshing and putting some details in boxes .... its really not complicated 

I'm not complaining, I got tickets but it's a complete ballache every time. If it's about fairness then the current system isn't. I'd rather me getting tickets or not didn't depend on whether my internet drops or work interrupts me or any other myriad of factors. I'd feel less sore, if it was purely luck of the draw.

Edited by naomi1303

1 minute ago, naomi1303 said:

I'm not complaining, I got tickets but it's a complete ballache every time. If it's about fairness then the current system isn't. I'd rather me getting tickets or not didn't depend on whether my internet drops or works interrupts me or any other myriad of factors. I'd feel less sore, if it was purely luck of the draw.

I didnt ... and yes its 30 mins of pain once a year .. is it worth it .... absolutely ... I could have a lovely lie in ... but I choose the stress and shakes and disappointment (sometimes ) Its something that id personally spent a great deal longer trying for ... knowing that many others have gone through the same thing and in preference to a one off chancer thinking they might enter a draw and getting lucky ... Its good for me and rewards some effort and a slice of luck 

16 minutes ago, naomi1303 said:

I reckon you're underestimating the amount of people who don't use computers on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, my mother in law is a very capable person but she doesn't have a great understanding about computers so there's a level of fear there.

Anyway, they did a ballot for Olympics tickets, it worked there. In a ballot you really are on par with everyone else. It's categorically the most fair method but because the odds of getting tickets would be lower, people don't want it.

I think basic computer skills like internet search and navigating a web page are just basic skills in society. It’s like going some people don’t have computers so to cater to them we won’t sell them online. 

the Olympics had 7.5 million applications for tickets. Glastonbury has 2.4 million registrations. I highly doubt 2.4 million people attempted to get tickets so for something that size I can understand. Am I right I’m saying you don’t get a choice of event or something along those lines? Kinda makes sense to spread it randomly because people would be more inclined to go to event they had no interest if it was through a ballot rather than Glastonbury system.

This thread is essentially people who didn’t get a ticket, annoyed they didn’t one and feel it’s the systems fault. Imagine if the more committed had less chance, it would go down poorly. 

I agree that fairest should be a high priority but I really don’t see how the current system is anyway unfair 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, naomi1303 said:

So if it's down to luck then why not make it fair and have a ballot?

Because "fair", in this context, is entirely subjective.

You're making the judgement that, for you, an equal chance for everyone regardless of effort or interest level is what constitutes fair.

I fundamentally disagree with that , and I suspect so would most others including the festival. I would take the view that a fair system would at least partially reward persistence and effort.

• Upvote 1

Just now, incident said:

Because "fair", in this context, is entirely subjective.

You're making the judgement that, for you, an equal chance for everyone regardless of effort or interest level is what constitutes fair.

I fundamentally disagree with that , and I suspect so would most others including the festival. I would take the view that a fair system would at least partially reward persistence and effort.

The definition of fairness is everyone having an equal chance without discrimination. 

13 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think basic computer skills like internet search and navigating a web page are just basic skills in society. It’s like going some people don’t have computers so to cater to them we won’t sell them online. 

the Olympics had 7.5 million applications for tickets. Glastonbury has 2.4 million registrations. I highly doubt 2.4 million people attempted to get tickets so for something that size I can understand. Am I right I’m saying you don’t get a choice of event or something along those lines? Kinda makes sense to spread it randomly because people would be more inclined to go to event they had no interest if it was through a ballot rather than Glastonbury system.

This thread is essentially people who didn’t get a ticket, annoyed they didn’t one and feel it’s the systems fault. Imagine if the more committed had less chance, it would go down poorly. 

I agree that fairest should be a high priority but I really don’t see how the current system is anyway unfair

I did get tickets and I've been successful 75% of the times I've tried but I still don't feel it's the fairest way to do it, even though I know my odds would be significantly lowered.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

No, it's not. You've deliberately twisted it slightly. Try again.

I genuinely haven't twisted anything. I think the current system is discriminatory and a ballot would be fairer, giving everyone who enters an equal chance. I don't agree that effort should necessarily equal reward. Particularly when that effort involves people using multiple devices and large groups working together. 

13 minutes ago, naomi1303 said:

I genuinely haven't twisted anything. I think the current system is discriminatory and a ballot would be fairer, giving everyone who enters an equal chance. I don't agree that effort should necessarily equal reward. Particularly when that effort involves people using multiple devices and large groups working together. 

Again, you're applying a subjective version of fair as you see it.

Going back to the actual definition from the OED, and the reason I took issue with your paraphrasing/interpretation of it: "Treating people equally without favouritism or discrimination." - I don't take that to mean everyone should have an equal chance of ultimate success. My interpretation is that it means everyone should have an equal chance to participate in the process - and right now I think they do.

As for multiple devices/large groups - the anecdotal evidence is that's vastly overplayed. Personally I cut down on the number of devices this year because I'm pretty sure there's a saturation point at which they become a disadvantage - and actually had more success than in the previous few sales.

Edited by incident