There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My mate bought 2 groups worth of tickets  this year. Most of us got nowhere.

For 2019, I got through twice for all our tickets, no one else got anywhere.

For 2017s festival, someone got through about 6 times, for different groups. He was on Facebook asking anyone who was struggling to pass details on. It was a bit ridiculous. He'd bought ours straight away and didn't really stop getting to the page.

This kind of thing has happened most times we have been to be honest. It is as if the system likes your ip address or it doesn't.

Yeah, in fact I think the same happened to my gf in the main sale, she got through a 2nd time right after buying the first batch, annoyingly on both occasionally we didn't actually manage to buy the second lot for various reasons but still!

Edited by thrillhouse188

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I'd love to say the bitter / entitled thing baffles me, but you just come to expect it a bit now.  It's like things can't be either (a) your own fault or (b) just bad luck.  Everything must have someone or something that you can directly blame and hurl shite at. It's the mentality of toddlers.

All over the resale dude.  Assuming you've already put in for the ballot sale business?

Yeah, I know there will always be people moaning and trying to think of different ways of doing it (God knows I've done both myself over my years of failing), but this year I've noticed a lot of entitlement and a feeling of "proper festivalgoers" being edged out because it's become popular, which is just gross really. I'm happy for people who got tickets, especially the new people, and if the old guard don't like the way the festival is changing no one is making them go.

I've put in for the ballot yeah, not that I expect much! Would be exciting to get that email :)

I'm not sure if I'll go for the resale yet. I'm going to see what other line-ups come out and might just make alternative plans to save myself the stress of putting all my eggs in one basket. 

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My mate bought 2 groups worth of tickets  this year. Most of us got nowhere.

For 2019, I got through twice for all our tickets, no one else got anywhere.

For 2017s festival, someone got through about 6 times, for different groups. He was on Facebook asking anyone who was struggling to pass details on. It was a bit ridiculous. He'd bought ours straight away and didn't really stop getting to the page.

This kind of thing has happened most times we have been to be honest. It is as if the system likes your ip address or it doesn't.

To people who have gotten through to buy multiple sets of tickets in the same sale, what did you do after you bought the first set of tickets? Did you press back? Close the page altogether and go right back to the start?

This year was the first year I've ever been lucky enough to get to the booking page, but didn't get anywhere near a second time to help others

6 hours ago, Sundance said:

To people who have gotten through to buy multiple sets of tickets in the same sale, what did you do after you bought the first set of tickets? Did you press back? Close the page altogether and go right back to the start?

This year was the first year I've ever been lucky enough to get to the booking page, but didn't get anywhere near a second time to help others

There mightve been a glitch where it didnt clear the session and let them back in straight away. Coachella onsales used to have that flaw for a couple years so just one person needed to get in and they could continue to make purchases for others if they wanted. You also used to be able to share the ticketing link and it had zero tie ins to a queue number or placement and it would let you in also.

In all fairness theres no logic around it just a  big hit on one site some people try in groups of 6 12 18 or more sometimes certain areas crashes with demand last two i tried in groups and got tickets and failed also tried just me on my own got tickets and failed theres no logic to it even the best computer best location its all about whether your system computes to that site in that moment 

Its no good moaning about it nothing can change that.

i can remember phoning and still phoning at 4pm I've been in both situations and can't see any improvement because there can't be any improvement because of demand in such a limited time of thousands demanding access all at once.

So do it alphabetically i know location never work its a bit of a Bat out of hell good song that love meatloaf so prep prepare organise come that Sunday morning dents on ceiling jumping for joy or sod this no roast 

its all down to demand even if they spilt ticket up to different date it still be the same

Edited by Sally1999

11 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Every year I’ve gone I’ve known first timers to get tickets as well. This year I know somebody who was in holiday and her mums friend got them one. For 2017 somebody I work with got them on her phone as a passenger in a car.

The current system does not stop the inexperienced and first timers from going, just because you have organised old timers who have been going for years that doesn’t somehow automatically exclude everyone else, far from it.

You can’t nanny everyone through life, at some point people have to try and work things out for themselves. It doesn’t take much research to work out how to give yourself the best chance of getting tickets, it’s not rocket science it’s merely basic common sense. People talk about the internet and ‘devices’ like they’re some sort of witchcraft, they’ve been around for a long long time now.

As far as I’m concerned the people who are in twitter within 5 minutes of the sale starting bitching and moaning are the worst type of people and deserve to be nowhere near the festival. Changing the system just panders time them.

Absolutely bingo ??

• Like 1

When I told my mum I didn't get a ticket she was affronted ? according to her  I've been so often I should have some sort of privilege/ loyalty card ?‍♀️ fact is its the best way they can sell the tickets, as others have said a ballot would allocate some tickets to people who aren't really arsed, then they would need to reprocess them anyway 

50 minutes ago, Sally1999 said:

In all fairness theres no logic around it just a  big hit on one site some people try in groups of 6 12 18 or more sometimes certain areas crashes with demand last two i tried in groups and got tickets and failed also tried just me on my own got tickets and failed theres no logic to it even the best computer best location its all about whether your system computes to that site in that moment 

Its no good moaning about it nothing can change that.

i can remember phoning and still phoning at 4pm I've been in both situations and can't see any improvement because there can't be any improvement because of demand in such a limited time of thousands demanding access all at once.

So do it alphabetically i know location never work its a bit of a Bat out of hell good song that love meatloaf so prep prepare organise come that Sunday morning dents on ceiling jumping for joy or sod this no roast 

its all down to demand even if they spilt ticket up to different date it still be the same

I mean going back some groups got through pressed back and reentered next group glasto caught on to this and i believe stopped this but theres always some computer nerd find a new technique but will it work who knows me staying to normal in getting tickets if i do but if i don't well thats it

6 minutes ago, Sally1999 said:

I mean going back some groups got through pressed back and reentered next group glasto caught on to this and i believe stopped this but theres always some computer nerd find a new technique but will it work who knows me staying to normal in getting tickets if i do but if i don't well thats it

This would explain how you get through to payment and it won't process, in theory the server shouldn't allow more people to that stage if there aren't enough tickets available , never thought of that before 

I think there definitely is something to staying committed until it sells out. I've gotten through 3/4 years now, and I refresh once a second continually, no focus lost. My mates who are all chatting in the WhatsApp never get through. I know it's not my IP because I've been in 4 different locations for the sales. 

I know this doesn't always work because that 3rd year I didnt get through, but I think it definitely increases your odds. 

Also this year after buying my tickets I tried the "back" trick and it kicked me out of the session so they definitely fixed that bug. 

4 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I think there definitely is something to staying committed until it sells out. I've gotten through 3/4 years now, and I refresh once a second continually, no focus lost. My mates who are all chatting in the WhatsApp never get through. I know it's not my IP because I've been in 4 different locations for the sales. 

I know this doesn't always work because that 3rd year I didnt get through, but I think it definitely increases your odds. 

Also this year after buying my tickets I tried the "back" trick and it kicked me out of the session so they definitely fixed that bug. 

My mates are the same = why across 5 sales none of them have ever got tickets. You think everyone is prepared and knows what to do, then I get messages at 9 asking what the see tickets address is again. Now a lot of people would say they don’t really want to go then, but they really do, they just seem to lack a certain amount of common sense when it comes to this sort of thing. But I don’t have any sympathy for them and people like them, if you ask me it’s not a difficult process. There is a comment a few pages back quoting Emily as saying the amount of people trying drops off  dramatically after 20 minutes. It just shows how many people give up or stop trying as hard well before tickets are sold out. That’s just basic, if you can’t concentrate on the task in hand for 30 minutes then can you have any complaints?

Like you say it doesn’t always work, I’ve failed completely one year out of 5 and another of those 5 was success in the resale not the main sale. I do think that it will work more often than not though, and it’s more than in anyone’s grasp to be organised and concentrate fully for 30 minutes.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 hours ago, Lou1983 said:

When I told my mum I didn't get a ticket she was affronted ? according to her  I've been so often I should have some sort of privilege/ loyalty card ?‍♀️ fact is its the best way they can sell the tickets, as others have said a ballot would allocate some tickets to people who aren't really arsed, then they would need to reprocess them anyway 

I wouldn’t bring in a loyalty scheme for repeat visits. Or any other system that means more merchandise you buy meaning a higher place in the queue. Shocking move by Taylor Swift doing that. 

However if a loyalty system was brought in then I would only give priority to those who have volunteered for previous years. 

5 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Totally agree...once you disengage with WhatsApp your chances improve. All anecdotal obviously, but I was really strict with myself this year and got to reg page in both sales whereas before I've never got past the holding page. 

I also managed to buy tickets this year (first time ever) and pressed back....but all the same reg details were there and there was no way to clear them. So the bug is def fixed. Which is a good thing really!

Another way to minimise the advantage of having large groups all trying for each other is to sell the tickets faster.

Currently it takes around 30 minutes to sell out, that gives people a chance to buy their own tickets and then try for the others on their list.

The longer the sales go on for, the more this has an effect.

So if they sold out quicker then this advantage is lessened.

However, this may not be perceived as a good thing.  It has been suggested before that SEE could handle more connections and sell the tickets quickly, but they let it drag on a bit because it makes people feel like they have a chance.  If it sold out in 5 minutes, you'd probably have a lot more people complaining that they never stood a chance, even though theirs is the same as anyone's.  Perception is just as important as reality in some cases.

3 minutes ago, uscore said:

Another way to minimise the advantage of having large groups all trying for each other is to sell the tickets faster.

Currently it takes around 30 minutes to sell out, that gives people a chance to buy their own tickets and then try for the others on their list.

The longer the sales go on for, the more this has an effect.

So if they sold out quicker then this advantage is lessened.

However, this may not be perceived as a good thing.  It has been suggested before that SEE could handle more connections and sell the tickets quickly, but they let it drag on a bit because it makes people feel like they have a chance.  If it sold out in 5 minutes, you'd probably have a lot more people complaining that they never stood a chance, even though theirs is the same as anyone's.  Perception is just as important as reality in some cases.

I get what you are suggesting, a way to potentially speed it up is to have a separate server for those who have got to the booking screen and beyond. So instead of battling with everybody for bandwidth they are in their own space and will complete the transaction much more easily and in theory, more quickly.
It would also, hopefully, take away pretty much all instances of being crashed out of any of the pages once in. Maybe a server that handles 20,000 people at the same time maximum.

It might take 5 minutes off the time as you will still have the masses all trying to get to the first page but at least might make the system smoother once in.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I wouldn’t bring in a loyalty scheme for repeat visits. Or any other system that means more merchandise you buy meaning a higher place in the queue. Shocking move by Taylor Swift doing that. 

However if a loyalty system was brought in then I would only give priority to those who have volunteered for previous years. 

Totally agree squirrel, I was just having a chortle at the niavety of the lovely woman who kindly brought me onto this earth, her innocent chat brings me a lot of comedy moments ?

Checking through my whatsapp groups from T-Day (was on 3 to help as I already had my coach ticket)

The night before I had sent the same message to all 3 groups requesting radio silence unless it was to confirm a purchase.

Of the 3 groups, one was completely successful, one had 50% success, and one didn't get a sniff.

Two had zero chat, the other one was getting "can't get through" messages at 9:06.

I'll let you guess which ones were which.

Edited by Quark

20 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Aye mate, missus and I have wanted to go for a few years but never properly tried, only a quick check during the sale, hit the waiting page, then give up. Last year was our first proper organised attempt, and with the help of a bit of research we got them, managed to do it again this year as well. Yes there's always an element of luck, but any potential newbie can do the research and give themselves a decent chance!

I was chatting to a friend last night who asked me how I got tickets, saying she'd tried for so many years and never got anywhere.... And then I asked her how many times she was refreshing and she said "whenever the page crashes". So she was only ever refreshing the connections that were fucked and leaving the good ones to manual refresh....

A bit later in the chat she was said she thought a ballet would be better as currently it wasn't fair for people who hadn't been before. I pointed out that simple things like "refresh!" aren't exactly secret and all anyone has to do it Google it!