There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

33 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Reckon this ballot competition is a trial for next years lottery system.... Maybe... 

I hope not. This would be horrendous news. A fully complete ballot system would be one of the worst things they could ever do. Missing out on tickets due to the website is one thing, everyone's chances would be slashed.

Edited by D-Low
  • Upvote 1

First everyone should have to register again. But charge £250 for the registration so only wealthier, and more entitled, to apply for tickets.  Put the price of tickets up while we are at it.

Then it should be a ballot where if you’ve never been before 50k names are pulled from the hat.

If you’ve not been for 5 years you go in another pot. Another 40k names pulled out.

If you’re a ‘proper’ festival goer - determined by reviewing your social media - you go into a third pot with 30k tickets drawn. 

If you can’t handle (based on a bitterness rating of your twitter posts) other people having something you don’t possess (based on luck) you go into a pot with 10k tickets.  

If you’ve still not be drawn out of the pots but you’re likely to complain about the system. You go into the final special pot where 5k tickets are drawn. You get the best camping spots too.

Nailed it.

27 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I hope not. This would be horrendous news. A fully complete ballot system would be one of the worst things they could ever do. Missing out on tickets due to the website is one thing, everyone's chances would be slashed.

Yep, agreed. The thing is they get grief from idiots who think that because they’ve decided they want to go to Glastonbury, that they automatically have a divine right to. When it doesn’t work out for them it’s because the system is unfair and they cry out for a ballot.

After a few years of a ballot, with everyone going even less and these same people still not getting tickets the grief they’d get would be way worse than the little bit they get from idiots now. I’m hoping they’re clever enough to realise that. 

57 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Totally agree old son but it just might be.. Its the first time they've done it 

25 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I think it should be allocated randomly based on first name. For instance, one year all the Chris's who are registered get to go. It would make meeting people super easy. 

It would certainly assist in being able to remember strangers names, that's for sure.

I was once in a car being driven by a friend. At one point in the journey we had to pull up at some traffic lights, behind a lorry. The lorry had the livery for the company on the back of the lorry. It stated that the company's name was 'Daveland'. i looked out of the front window of the car, read the company name, and immediately began wondering about what if there was actually a place called Daveland, where everybody was called Dave. I then imagined the following scenario;

(Dave) Good morning Dave.

(Dave) Good morning to you too Dave. Did you hear about what Dave got up to last night?

(Dave) No, I didn't hear about any of Dave's activities last night. Why, what did he get up to?

(Dave) Well, he only had a few too many, got in to an argument with Dave, which turned in to a punch up.

(Dave) What, Dave hit Dave? Are you for real?

It's at this point that my imaginings began to pale, and so with it, my brief, but oddly beautiful, exposure to Daveland.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Should let everyone registered into the field then fight to the death. Last 140,000 get to stay around (maybe help with the cleanup and what not before the party starts). 

Year after, those same 140,000 fight off any newbies that want to come in. 

I'm right with you, and up for it, if the 'fight' can be limited to participants being restricted to using only the medium of modern dance in which to outgun their opponents. Actually, I'll be honest and tell you that i have already bought my fancy dress costume for this 'offensive'.

Image result for peacock off

I've seen a ballot being suggested by a huge majority of unsuccessful ticket buyers this year, which lead me to think about what a ballot would actually entail.

Imagine all 2.4 million registered profiles were entered into the ballot. Due to the nature of a ballot system, you can enter at any time, and your odds are essentially the amount of tickets against the amount of applications. You would have roughly a 1/18 chance of securing a ticket. Just for you. Nobody else. 

If you were to win, say, a pair of tickets, your chances would be halved. That's a 1/36 chance of getting a pair of tickets. 

Every tom, dick and harry would apply on the off-chance that they might get a ticket, which could swell the numbers. I feel that with the current system, you at least have to be there, in the moment, prepared with a list of registrations, payment details, and hopefully some knowledge of the ticket buying process in order to have a chance at getting a ticket.

To me, a ballot feels like going to a popular restaurant, where you are told there is no room, despite several tables being free, but held as reserved. For sure, the system is a piece of shit and needs to be overhauled, but I feel that having a live ticket sale where you have to actively participate separates those who don't care that much from those who truly want to attend, and therefore produces the demographic that we see at the festival.

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm right with you, and up for it, if the 'fight' can be limited to participants being restricted to using only the medium of modern dance in which to outgun their opponents. Actually, I'll be honest and tell you that i have already bought my fancy dress costume for this 'offensive'.

Image result for peacock off

You would go as a Bluetones album cover?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

You would go as a Bluetones album cover?

I've had to look that one up, and can now see where you are coming from. Thanks for pointing that out, as it'll allow me time to have a re-think. To press ahead with my original fancy dress idea would be foolish, given the restrictions that 'being' an album cover would have on my dance performance. I may have to just wear a kaftan, as I'll need to have full unrestricted movement, if my intended dance action is to be a killer.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, maelzoid said:

For anyone still clinging on to the idea that a ballot would be better, I just got my email from London Marathon.

For the 13th year running I have not got a place in the forthcoming race.

457,861 people applied.

That's for a 26-mile race. What do you think the numbers would be like for the world's greatest festival?

Do you also use running forums?  Do they have pages and pages of people talking around in circles about how un/fair the system is and suggesting alternatives? 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've had to look that one up, and can now see where you are coming from. Thanks for pointing that out, as it'll allow me time to have a re-think. To press ahead with my original fancy dress idea would be foolish, given the restrictions that 'being' an album cover would have on my dance performance. I may have to just wear a kaftan, as I'll need to have full unrestricted movement, if my intended dance action is to be a killer.

I’m sorry you’re not as hip as me referencing a debut album from 1996 by some Britpop-also rans.

They wouldnt just jump to a ballot next year after trying out 50 pairs. I doubt they will ever jump to a ballot but if they do it will increase gradually i.e. 5000 tickets available by ballot next year, and more and so on. It wouldnt be suddenly all tickets are ballots. 

But they wont do full ballots. It would destroy the festival I think. Right now the system does favor the determined and prepared, and I think those are the loyal fan base. I think it works fine right now. Tweaks here and there to improve the current system would be nice. 

there is  a ballott for the London marathon, I have tried every year for ten years to get in that and failed, you would get the same things happening . lucky people and not so lucky. 

I know so many people that have registered and wanted to go but didn't know ticket's went on sale on that morning. Imagine if everyone who is registered just got pulled out of a hat. There would be loads of people who change their mind when they actually get a ticket.  more and more people would enter every year just out of the chance they get a ticket. and what if they get a ticket but their friends don't? some people wouldn't want to go on their own. I think it would cause a lot of refunds happening 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MetaKate said:

But they wont do full ballots. It would destroy the festival I think. Right now the system does favor the determined and prepared, and I think those are the loyal fan base. I think it works fine right now. Tweaks here and there to improve the current system would be nice. 

I've been thinking about this argument a lot, because it's something I've been saying too.  But from the festival's perspective, maybe they might want to challenge it so that the attendees aren't all from the same block of determined and prepared regulars.  Maybe they feel a lottery, perhaps for a big % of the total tickets, will open up the festival to new or inexperienced ticket buyers.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily agree with that, or that a lottery isn't problematic in other ways too, but I could imagine someone at the festival getting something like that in their heads.

Edited by uscore

I think a ballot would just mean people making multiple amounts of different registrations for themselves.

They would have to do it so you enter your payement details in when you enter your registration, and your either charged £50 automatically, or your billing address has to match your delivery address, something along those lines otherwise people would just register in any address they have access to.

I prefer the current method of sale myself, didnt get theough this year but was fortunate enough for a friend to get mine, 5 tickets per sale and maybe a higher nunber of ballot tickets (500 pairs?) Seems a slightly fairer way, but I'll be happy if it stays as it is.

There's nothing wrong with the existing system, Only thing I would change is to enter registration details to begin with, once entered then you go to holding page. One device, one registration page, one holding page and you queue instead of little johnny's family of 43 all trying to get him tickets and chewing the system up on 12 devices each refreshing the holding page. 

The system works. Tickets sell. People do actually get them. It might not seem fair at all when you don't get them, I've missed out myself for years in the past. But it's the best it's ever going to get in my opinion. Supply will always be outstripped by demand. It's a sad truth and everyone seems to forget that.

• Like 1

Everyone  who wants to go is put in a holding pen just outside the festival site and is given one of them LED flashing buttons you get at food markets that flash green when its ready.

Every minute for 2 hours a 1000 in the pen get lucky with tickets and the rest are left watching Chris Martin for 5 days.

I think it's as fair as you could make it right now. The only suggestions I could think of that might work are a small ballot (maybe save 10% of tickets for a ballot), or a pre-sale of sorts which requires the most determined of people to go to Worthy Farm a week before and queue in person for their ticket.

Even then, I'm not sure on either of those over the current system.