There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

58 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

For anyone still clinging on to the idea that a ballot would be better, I just got my email from London Marathon.

For the 13th year running I have not got a place in the forthcoming race.

457,861 people applied.

That's for a 26-mile race. What do you think the numbers would be like for the world's greatest festival?

Lol I got that too today. I ran this years LM (got in through the ballot) - the same day as the resale and got my tickets standing outside Lewisham station on my iPad :)

Have to say though, I punched the air with joy when I got that rejection email today!

Edited by Gilb

15 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

What if you could only buy two tickets at once? You and your bestie. Then if all the big groups don’t get through it’s a proper gamble on the resale as you’d have no chance of getting the deposit back after that if all 20 of your mates weren’t going. 

Ticket sale would take ages though. Not fair to people with young children that aren’t old enough to be left alone, but are too old for free ones. 

Maybe teams of 4 would be more fair?

Separate point:

I think See Tickets cope fine. People always say they don't but the fact is the tickets get sold and sell out quicker every year. If the website could handle everyone at once then the tickets would sell out in seconds. I'd prefer the sale to take hours to be honest. Weeds out the lazy people. I'd refresh all day if I needed to! Process just 5 purchases at once on the page... Sale would take hours!

I think they just need to tackle the popularity and the allocation problem will go away:

• More mud
  • Unpopular headliners
  • Longer queues
  • No screening of football or other sporting events
  • Bring back the overflowing turdis toilets
  • Ban all gourmet food vendors 
  • Get rid of all the glamping options
  • BBC only allowed to film when raining
  • No EE / mobile phone network coverage
  • Upvote 3

Has anyone mentioned the Burning Man ticketing method yet? It's a different kind of infuriating and similar to a ballot...

From what I remember, essentially there is a 15 minute window for people to join a 'waiting room'. You must click into this within the window (say 8.30-8.45am). Then, when the sale starts at say, 9am, you then have to click a second link to take you onto the ticket page. You are randomly assigned a place in the queue, and you just have to sit and wait. You watch an animation of a man walking across the screen, like a loading bar, and when the bar is full and the man reaches the other side, that means it's your turn. It could sell out before you get there. There's no refreshing. Nothing you can do but sit and watch.

Some say it's fairer, but it would drive me insane not being able to feel like you're actively 'helping' yourself by refreshing.

13 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

In my opinion we don't want to make it easier to buy tickets, but harder. This will ensure only the truly dedicated get in. Maybe a series of trials or a massive quiz you need to revise for.

Takeshi's Castle. The only reasonable way to do it.

1 minute ago, I am Jon said:

I think they just need to tackle the popularity and the allocation problem will go away:

• More mud
  • Unpopular headliners
  • Longer queues

I think this exists and it's called Download

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Lol I got that too today. I ran this years LM (got in through the ballot) - the same day as the resale and got my tickets standing outside Lewisham station on my iPad :)

Have to say though, I punched the air with joy when I got that rejection email today!

That's the first time I've heard of anything positive occurring at Lewisham station :P hell on earth.

47 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Same as!.. - however looks like I've been roped into Brighton 2020 now!

25 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Make it first in the queue gets in. Cash on the gate. Those dedicated enough to camp out for a few nights will be fine. 

Pretty sure that's how the hippies in the Green Fields are still there. Same ones from 1970.

39 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

In my opinion we don't want to make it easier to buy tickets, but harder. This will ensure only the truly dedicated get in. Maybe a series of trials or a massive quiz you need to revise for.

How about you have to be ready in your car listening to radio Worthy FM (DAB or streaming of course).
The DJ will read out several Latitude/Longitude co-ordinates and you have to plumb them in to your sat nav/Google maps to find the one nearest to you, then drive there.
On arrival you will meet a balding man with a beard in a dark overcoat. You pass him a brown envelope with your ticket deposit(s) inside (cash).
In return he gives you a unique code that is valid for 5 minutes which you have to put into the Glasto ticket registration page alongside your registration numbers. 

This should work because:

1. It will weed out those who can't be bothered to put any effort in.
  2. It will exclude people who don't know how to read Lat/Long co-ordinates.
  3. It's a great way to relive the rave era of the late eighties (waiting around the M25 for the location of the rave to be announced :) )
  4. It would be a cracking good laugh. 
  • Upvote 1

Got another idea. Half the tickets are allocated “the queue”. Registration opens at a set time and closes at a set time (let’s say a week). First 100,000 people to register get invited to next year. If anyone no longer wants their ticket they give up the opportunity to number 1 in the queue. A simple wait list. You would have to cap this at say 500,000 but I think after a few years you’d know you were guaranteed a ticket. The following year the next 100,000 get first dibs. Until the queue is empty and we start again.

The other half tickets are allocated to “feeling lucky” under the current system.

I would also like to see 1,000 tickets go into a lottery where you pay £5 along with 100 others for a 1% chance of getting your ticket. They do this in theatres and it’s pretty popular/successful. You could also do a lottery at different price points - £1,£5,£20,£50 with increasing chances. All profits to affiliated charities.

• Downvote 1

Given the demand there is no perfect way. I think Glastonbury have got this about as right as they possibly can. It's down to luck but at least you feel like you are participating in the bunfight. It treats newbies the same as veterans (very important imo),  and is designed to make sure that touts aren't hoovering up all the tickets in the same way they do for arena shows.

The only thing I would change is the bouncing out at the reg page, that is cruel, you. should really only be allowed on there if the tickets are still available.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

• More mud
  • Unpopular headliners
  • Longer queues

Outstanding

3 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

Got another idea. Half the tickets are allocated “the queue”. Registration opens at a set time and closes at a set time (let’s say a week). First 100,000 people to register get invited to next year. If anyone no longer wants their ticket they give up the opportunity to number 1 in the queue. A simple wait list. You would have to cap this at say 500,000 but I think after a few years you’d know you were guaranteed a ticket. The following year the next 100,000 get first dibs. Until the queue is empty and we start again.

The other half tickets are allocated to “feeling lucky” under the current system.

I would also like to see 1,000 tickets go into a lottery where you pay £5 along with 100 others for a 1% chance of getting your ticket. They do this in theatres and it’s pretty popular/successful. You could also do a lottery at different price points - £1,£5,£20,£50 with increasing chances. All profits to affiliated charities.

I don’t fully understand this idea but what I do understand sounds absolutely awful.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Given the demand there is no perfect way. I think Glastonbury have got this about as right as they possibly can. It's down to luck but at least you feel like you are participating in the bunfight. It treats newbies the same as veterans (very important imo),  and is designed to make sure that touts aren't hoovering up all the tickets in the same way they do for arena shows.

The only thing I would change is the bouncing out at the reg page, that is cruel, you. should really only be allowed on there if the tickets are still available.

This. 

Anything complex with more admin adds cost, a ballot is just daft what do you do with returns, etc?

No pre-sales, no favouritism and everyone has a chance to get a ticket. For a private event it’s do as best as it can. 

But ensure that the sessions are stable enough to complete the session, is the only thing that needs to be improved.